Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #2871
Satisfaction from Thor

I had some issues about having to drive almost 4 hours to the nearest Thor dealer for warranty work. After several calls, I wrote a letter to the CEO. It was forwarded to Mark Stanley, Consumer Affairs Manager for Thor. He had Brian Emmons, a Customer Service/Warranty Representative call me. I gave him the name of a local (non-Thor) motorhome dealer and he called them, authorized the repairs, and setup an appointment. I think it all depends on who you talk to.

2015 Ford Focus
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Sometimes it does help to make a few calls...
Old 04-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Considering the $ we pay for new RV's - we should never have to jump thru hoops like that to get service. Industry wide Thor is probably at the front but still far and away from what we expect to get for the money we pay. They have done well by us for two new class "A"s. But I now see the need to do the same as rbmartiniv. Our 2015 has a very rare nagging problem and they won't even answer emails. Guess we too will have to jump the chain of command to get service.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #4

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
THOR Warranty Service

I have found working with THOR to be a huge headache. However, their factory authorized repair facility is excellent.

It is however, 90 miles from my house. I contacted several larger, locally owned RV service businesses, and inquired of them about the possibility of them doing repairs, if THOR would agree to it. I had heard of THOR doing this.

NONE of the local service agencies would even consider it. THOR has a reputation, as you will find. They do do warranty work for various other makes, and extended warranty agencies, but not THOR.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #3787
I have had contact with the Warranty Dept on a couple different occasions since purchasing our 2016 Hurricane 29M. My first impression has been very favorable, they have addressed my issues and have been very good at making contact to keep me updated.

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #6

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
NONE of the local service agencies would even consider it. THOR has a reputation, as you will find. They do do warranty work for various other makes, and extended warranty agencies, but not THOR.
I don't want to assume anything here, but I take it that THOR's reputation is not all that great. Am I correct? If so, why?

Thanks,
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I don't want to assume anything here, but I take it that THOR's reputation is not all that great. Am I correct? If so, why?

Thanks,
Before we bought our A.C.E. we talked with the local, independent repair place that we wanted to use for warranty work. At the time they weren't authorized by Thor to do the work, but were willing to work with them. I called Thor and asked them if they'd authorize Benlo to do warranty work and they were more than happy to do so.

We took our rig in for some minor work, and it was done promptly by our local folks. When we went back to purchase something from their little store, they commented on how long it took to get reimbursed by Thor for the work they'd done. That was disappointing.

We've got the rig in again, mostly for servicing, but also for a couple of potential warranty issues. Fortunately Benlo didn't balk at doing the warranty work, so I'm assuming that they'll still work with Thor. We sure don't want to have to find somewhere else to take the rig for that!

I've spoken with Thor's customer service reps on several occasions, and every time they've been more than helpful. I've always approached them with an attitude of team-ness, and that I'm willing to work with them to get what I need instead of coming at them with frustration. Yes, when our windshield wiper washer didn't work I could have been irritated, but it wasn't the end of the world. Nor were the awning LED lights that didn't work when we tried them the first time.

I really think that it's all in how you approach the situation. If you're frustrated (and maybe rightfully so), it can often make the person on the receiving end defensive, and that won't get you very far.

How's that for a long answer to your short question?!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:06 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
State: Oregon
THOR #3553
I have had several items that needed attention on my new Thor...every one has been handled to my satisfaction by the folks in the warranty department.

What I HAVE NOT been pleased with was warranty work by Camping World.

Thor has advised me if I can find a local RV repair shop (the closest CW is 1.5 hours away) they will contact and work with them. I have 2 within 20 minutes of my house and will try that route if any other issues arise.

Bill Stout of Thor has been exceptional to work with.