Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Scan Code: P306

RV running fine, but just received engine light and ran scan, code was P306, miss fire on cylinder 6. I have started reading up on this problem. I would appreciate any recommendations from the group.

RV is a 2014 Thor Windsport 34f, 64000 miles.

If I need to put in for repair, I live 150 miles from Montgomery and can take RV to Stivers Ford.

Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just a WAG...replace the coil pak on #6 cylinder.....and if still a problem then drive to the dealer. I am sure there are V10 experts on the forum that might have better advice.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #10354
Misfire, #6

You should probably start with removing the spark plug and just replacing it if you don't have the means to test it (i.e. color, cracking insulator etc.) Next would be the ignition coil(s); probably have to switch or replace for any confirmation. It could also be the air/fuel mixture sensor, Oxygen sensor (s), EGR valve, the catalytic converter, leaking air hose after the air/fuel sensor etc. If it runs fine, get a OBDII checker that can graph oxygen sensor status (~$50 for one that can do this).
Old 08-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
A cracked plug will give you that code. Don't forget to replace the boot and use dielectric grease. The boot will get a carbon trail from the high energy being discharged through the crack. My #3 plug failed, 3.5L EcoBoost, at 62,000. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1567028611451.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	19913
Old 08-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
first of all, the codes are a letter then 4 digits, not 3. P = power train, U= network etc...

2nd, anything could create a misfire. lack of compression IE a valve stuck open, fuel injector not injecting or open circuit, spark plug not firing, coil circuits open, etc. Yes, the plug is the easiest to check first but you should figure if your getting fuel also.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
1. Clear the code and see if it comes back.
2. If it returns swap the coil pack and power lead with one of the other nine cylinders before doing a blind replacement.
3. If the code changes the coil pack is the problem. If the same code returns replace the spark plug.
4. If the same code still returns make an appointment with a service tech.

Your warranty has long since expired so take the coach anywhere you feel confident with or even consider a mobile tech if any are available in your area. V10's have been around 20 years so the knowledge base beyond Ford is pretty expansive.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Clear the code and see how quick it comes back, if it does at all. Then swap the coil pack with another cylinder. If code moves, replace coil pack. If it doesn't, replace spark plug. If you still get the code you need further diagnostic tests that are above my pay grade. You could watch some videos from South Main Auto or Pinehollow to get an idea on further diagnostics. They are both on Youtube. Good luck.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote