Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2020, 01:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #12676
Schwentek Slide Problem

I have a 2019 Thor 30FE, the driver's side slide, forward corner will not extend causing slide to cock in coach. Contacted Good Sam Tech Support and went through the troubleshooting with the tech and he said that I had a bad controller board for the slide. But when I activate the slide I can hear the motor running for that corner but slide does not move. I suspect that a gear or something has sheered. Has anyone had to replace the gear for their slide and how do you do it.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
If this is the Schwintek slide you're talking about it could be possible the motor has just popped straight up and not engaging with the gear to runs the slide in and out.

https://amzn.to/37mSfwt

On the shaft end of these motors you'll see the four screws/pins sticking out, these are what hold the motor from twisting when it is dropped all the way down into place and there's usually a screw from outside the coach to hold this motor down in place.

If that single screw were missing your motor might've popped up and its just not engaging the gear as intended.

If you do think it's a track problem though, I haven't been lucky enough to have to deal with that problem yet.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

THOR #12676
Thanks Mr.Howzball I will look at that sounds possible. Do you know if there is gears in the bottom of the motor itself. I know there is spur gears in the blocks for the track but was wandering about the motor. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justtinkerin View Post
Thanks Mr.Howzball I will look at that sounds possible. Do you know if there is gears in the bottom of the motor itself. I know there is spur gears in the blocks for the track but was wandering about the motor. Thanks again.
There is a planetary gear set in the lower case with the motor. The input/output ratio is 300:1 for the small slides and 500:1 for the full wall slides. With a planetary system, it is all or nothing unlike a worm gear where there can be flat spots i.e the electric steps.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #5

THOR #12676
Thanks goes to Mr Howzball, The retaining screw was gone and motor popped up out of the coupler. placed it back in position replaced the screw ( one short enough to catch the motor in the slot) resynced and problem salved. What a relief!!! Again thanks for your help!!!
Old 06-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Thanks goes to Mr Howzball, The retaining screw was gone and motor popped up out of the coupler. placed it back in position replaced the screw ( one short enough to catch the motor in the slot) resynced and problem salved. What a relief!!! Again thanks for your help!!!
Awesome. Glad to hear the good news.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #3182
Quote:
Great News! I'm glad it helped.
Lord knows I've needed help enough times with these slides and likely will again.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
THOR #7004
Find your bedroom swintek control box in the basement of your coach. If attached to the upper basement floor, take the two screws out and drop it down so you can see the instructions in the center of the box. There will also be green or red lights lit up. In the center of the control box is intstruction how to reset and straighten your slide coming in and out. You may have to do this process several times. You will need a sharp opject like a pen to hit the reset. I believe if I remember correctly it is either 7 or 8 times you need to hit the reset button. The red light will flash. Go to your slide operation button and put the slide in and out till it goes in and out straight.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #6333
From your description it sounds like the slide got off the track. Had a track problem from parking on a driveway. Slope was just enough to cause the tracks to separate. Went to a flat spot and kept moving the slide in and out in small increments while push the slide toward the track. Eventual got it back on track problem solved. Used a piece of 2x4 for a little gentle leverage. Didn't know what caused the problem until a year later parked on the same drive and put the slide out. 2nd time it took about 5 minutes.

Tags
schwentek, slide