Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 04:28 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
It's not much to go on but this picture shows the wires in order on the plug. Probably straight through to the connector. I didn't see a photo off hand showing under the cap.
Red-Black-Brown-Green-Blue-Purple
I guess you could remove the other one a compare.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180904-002145.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	12593

Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #1373
Update on the original post. The specific Camping World Service tech was able to assess my slide out issue:

“THE TEETH ARE JUMPING OVER THE GEAR AND ITS LOOSING TRIM FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. THE ONLY WAY TO REPAIR IT IS TO ORDER AND REPLACE THE SLIDE COLLUMS. TECH SAYS THE REAR COLLUM IS VERY HARD TO ACCESS. TECH REQUEST 8HRS TO CHANGE OUT BOTH COLLUMS.”

To be clear, I’m aware when the teeth “jumped” over the gear. Happened only twice, but has caused the small gap at the top of the slide on the front side. Unfortunately, I agree with the technician and previous post that the entire Schwintec mechanism (motor, shaft/gears, and rails) needs to be replaced. The technicians reasoning for replacing the front and rear column mechanisms is so that I have a “new” motor on both ends working together (I’m not convinced of that yet).

Would appreciate anyone’s opinion.

Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
hard to say what causes ‘jumped’ teeth, but we’ve traveled over 85,000(!) miles and many, many hundreds of slide extractions and retractions over about 4 years, and had this happen once, at about 24,000 miles, right before warranty expired. No reason why, just pulled into a campground, as normal, leveled, and ran out the slides...Pop, pop pop... stop! Found that the bottom of the rear of the main slide was about an inch farther out now than the top.

Even tho I’ve synced many times, and replaced several motors myself, there was no solution to this issue other than replacing the internal slide column with the gears and shaft. Thor’s service center at the factory did a great job, in a single day.... not a single issue since, in over 60,000 miles afterwards. Nice.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #24

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I have the exact same RV and mine did this also.

Two things.

1. To reset the slide I extended the slide all the way out and it reset itself. I had to extend and retract it twice for the motors to line up again. The opposite side will keep going and straighten it up.

2. Most important with mine. The side trim that Thor placed on extended into the slide area and prevented it from coming in close to the side of the coach. I extended the slide, cut off approx. 1 inch of the aluminum trim then I glued the plastic cap back on. When I retracted the slide the next time it went tight to the RV wall. Going tight ever since.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #4312
Looks like mine may have skipped a tooth as the top is tight to the coach and the bottom has a noticeable gap
Wonder how much this is going to cost [emoji848]

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:57 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #11937
We are having the same issue. Miramar 34.2 with super slide. Pulled both motors and tested they seem fine. Put them back in and still doing the same, out 1-2" stop. The controller shows error code = 8 but can't find anywhere that the wiring harness is damaged. Are you just using the workaround of bumping it in and out to open and close the slide? This takes forever. I hope that we don't have to do this forever. I really don't want to take it to a service center, we won't get to camp all year if I have to do that. LOL
Old 02-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksk View Post
We are having the same issue. Miramar 34.2 with super slide. Pulled both motors and tested they seem fine. Put them back in and still doing the same, out 1-2" stop. The controller shows error code = 8 but can't find anywhere that the wiring harness is damaged. Are you just using the workaround of bumping it in and out to open and close the slide? This takes forever. I hope that we don't have to do this forever. I really don't want to take it to a service center, we won't get to camp all year if I have to do that. LOL
You need to check your slide to see if it is binding either on the slide structure itself, the rollers underneath, or bags and hoses that move with the slide - in your case where the W/D would go.

It doesn't hurt to spray lube the rollers underneath the slide - there are various opinions on lubing the tracks and sides of the slide - Lippert used to recommend it but now doesn't.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #28

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
when ours started doing this recently, I noticed the rear end was stopping during the extraction(slide out) process, so I went under the coach into the basement where the controller is located an pushed the reset button long enough for it to reset. The slide then worked just fine, no stopping. Simple.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #29

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #11937
Update: we replaced the motor that was throwing the error code and the slide works like it’s supposed to now. Hope this last a good while. Old motor still works wonder if the sensors went bad? Oh well at least it’s working like it should and we now know how to replace slide motors. [emoji847][emoji6]
Old 02-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Update: we replaced the motor that was throwing the error code and the slide works like it’s supposed to now. Hope this last a good while. Old motor still works wonder if the sensors went bad? Oh well at least it’s working like it should and we now know how to replace slide motors. [emoji847][emoji6]
I had a similar problem with my slide - one side would always stop. Back and forth would get it where it was going eventually. I replaced the motor on that side, lubed the rollers underneath, fixed the sagging pipe bag, and it works like it should. The old motor works, but since these are brush and commutator motors I suspect there's a brush/commutator burn that opens up under current load. I threw it in the emergency spare bin anyway.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Just put the slide's controller into "emergency override" (see owners operating instructions for the IN-WALL LCI Schwintek slides) and the slide will go to the limits in either direction, then re-synchronize the motors and reset the controller. Synchronizing the motors only refers to the left and right SIDES of the slide. Top and bottom of the slides are locked by two or three gears on a common shaft riding on the bearing blocks and geared to the slide's tracks. Usually if a track gear has skipped a tooth then a standard bearing block kit is required. LCI has them in their site. Expect 8 to 10 hours to install the bearing blocks as they are mounted on the interior walls and hidden by the slide surround. Here is a link to the in-wall slide trouble shooting guide.
<https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/default/files/...>

Link to the LCI on-line store

<https://store.lci1.com/shop-by-department/slide-outs-lifts/slide-out-parts/gear-packs-rollers-track-hardware.html>
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:25 AM   #32

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
I found this video on the workings of the system - might be useful for people who are trying to blindly pull things apart. I found it very useful to see things working in the raw.

Schwintek System Working