Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Schwintek Controller Question

I have a 2018 Thor ACE 29.4 and the notorious Lippert Schwintek slide system. My kitchen slide has started hanging up when retracting. Each time I can override the controller and run it in without issue. I can also walk it in, a couple inches at a time. When in override it runs in and fully out with no hang up. I tried the re-alignment process numerous times but it doesn’t seem to have much effect.

My question is that I have never received an error code on my controller. When it hangs up and stops (when not in override mode) shouldn’t I get an error? I know the red and green diodes are working because I get the appropriate flashes during the override process.

The slide motor is unreachable from inside so it would have to be accessed from outside which appears to be a pain in the rear and I’d like a little better diagnostic before I tackle that job.

Is it possible the controller is bad? As mentioned the override works. Is there a reasonably easy way to test the controller? I hate to drop a couple hundred bucks on a controller if that’s not the problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bud

(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
So error messages occur on the Controller when it gets the appropriate feedback or lock thereof from the encoders on top of the motor.

The encoders measure the RPM's of each motor and sends that information to the Controller so it can keep the two motors spinning in sync. If a wire gets broken or an issue occurs with an encoder, the Controller issues the appropriate error codes.

I doubt it is a Controller issue but I don't know a way to run diagnostics on it. You may want to contact LCI Support to see if they can offer up a suggestion on how to test the Controller.

You say the slide "hangs up when retracting." Have you checked for an obstruction that could be causing your issue?

Have you tried pulling the power from the Controller and allowing it to reset itself?

It can take 3 - 6 times going through the resync process where you have to fully extract the slide, retract it 3 - 6 inches, then it extend it fully again. If you do that at least 6 times, the Controller should have the proper information from the encoders.

A bad encoder on a motor or a broken wire, would cause the slide to get out of sync but you should get the error codes.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #3

THOR #10956
Thanks for the reply

I agree the wire between the controller or the motors themselves are much more likely candidates to fail, but it’s the lack of error message that is confusing me. I have tried disconnecting power with no luck. If there is a problem somewhere outside the controller, isn’t it the controller that stops the motor? And if the controller stops the motor based on input received or not received and fails to flash an error code it seems to me the controller is not functioning correctly. Unfortunately it may not be the only problem but it seems to at least be part of the problem. I have contacted the Lippert folks inquiring about diagnostics of the controller.

I have visually inspected the tracks and slides and no visible signs of restriction or rubbing. Luckily, it opens/closes consistently when I override the controller so we are not out of business; I just have to go outside every time I want to close the slide. If I learn anything helpful I’ll post it.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I had the Schwintek Slide System replaced with the Vroom Slide System. Vroom told me he is developing his own Controller that will have more intelligence. He is also developing his own encoders for the motors.

Maybe he identified some weaknesses in the LCI Controller design where it can't identify all types of issues occurring with the slide? His Controller and motors were not ready yet when I had the system installed last month but I am planning to take it back next year to have him install his Controller and Motors.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
If you have either the cab over bed, or another slide, try swapping a control box.

Also lippert tech support is actually quite good.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:54 AM   #6

State: Arizona
THOR #25320
Schwintek in wall motor replacement

Hello,
I have a 2016 Thor ACE 29.4 and the front motor from the main slide was slower and slower when retracting the slide that I decided to replace the motor myself. It was pretty easy from onside with the slide mostly extended. It is in the top behind a metal trim. The dealer provides me with the wrong motor speed, 500 instead of 300 so after replacing the front would go much faster then the rear and bind after 10 inches in.I never got any error too. I decided to replace the rear motor also with a 500 but it was much difficult access. No access from outside and inside no side access. Asked the dealer with no luck so I decide to remove the vertical trim and the 4 screws behind holding the vertical board covering the end of the slide. The top board has to come out too to access the top screws and the verical board. The vertical board goes behind the kitchen counter so I took my saw saw and cut it to access the metal trim After that it was easy to remove and replace the motor. Now everything works like new. I hope this will help any person with the same rear motor
Old 11-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #7

THOR #10956
Thanks for all the info, unfortunately mine is the rear motor with no side access. I was really hoping not to have to take all the trim off. Can you tell me where your rear slide controller is located? I am still concerned I’m not getting an error message and I want to swap to verify before I go through all that. Thanks. Bud
Old 11-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #8

THOR #25320
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Thanks for all the info, unfortunately mine is the rear motor with no side access. I was really hoping not to have to take all the trim off. Can you tell me where your rear slide controller is located? I am still concerned I’m not getting an error message and I want to swap to verify before I go through all that. Thanks. Bud
My rear slide controller is in the rear on the left going to the bedroom on top of the desk.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
The bedroom slide controller is under the bed in the forward left corner (facing the bed). The living room controller is located in one of the basement bins under the slide (usually centered under the slide) on a side wall near the back.

To access the bedroom slides motors, the trim will have to come off.. The side's side valences are held to the bed frame with 4 or 5 long wood screws. The vertical beauty trim is held on by many pin nails and some glue. When removed it will expose the the wood screws that attach the beauty slide surround to the vertical 2x6" wood slide stops. These slide stops have 3 screws holding the wood against the aluminum brackets. With all that removed you can see the metal chase holding the motor, shaft gears and electric cable. If you removed the motor's hold-down screw from the outside, the motor can be lifted out of the chase with the wire attached. Unplug the motor from the cable.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmereur View Post
Hello,
I have a 2016 Thor ACE 29.4 and the front motor from the main slide was slower and slower when retracting the slide that I decided to replace the motor myself. It was pretty easy from onside with the slide mostly extended. It is in the top behind a metal trim. The dealer provides me with the wrong motor speed, 500 instead of 300 so after replacing the front would go much faster then the rear and bind after 10 inches in.I never got any error too. I decided to replace the rear motor also with a 500 but it was much difficult access. No access from outside and inside no side access. Asked the dealer with no luck so I decide to remove the vertical trim and the 4 screws behind holding the vertical board covering the end of the slide. The top board has to come out too to access the top screws and the verical board. The vertical board goes behind the kitchen counter so I took my saw saw and cut it to access the metal trim After that it was easy to remove and replace the motor. Now everything works like new. I hope this will help any person with the same rear motor
We'll need your Google username and password in order to see images in your Google account........
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #11

THOR #25320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We'll need your Google username and password in order to see images in your Google account........
How can I post pictures from my google pictures to here? I am not too young and not digital. Sorry.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmereur View Post
How can I post pictures from my google pictures to here? I am not too young and not digital. Sorry.
AFAIK Google doesn't allow public photo sharing although there is a hack to do it, but that's not the question.

Techsmith has a free software program that used to be called Jing, but is now simply called "Capture", but it is pretty hidden on their website, so simply search for "Techsmith Jing" and the first result should be:

Open the site and download the program. Install the program and at the end of the installation it will ask you to sign in or create an account:

Create the free account and now you have a place to store photos on the web.

Now for the fun part, you can capture anything on your screen, upload it to your free account, and display it in the forum easily.

I have a photo in my Google photos of two ACE MHs side-by-side.
I display the photo on my screen.
Use the key combination SHIFT-F11 to open capture
Click the CAPTURE button to begin capturing your screen

Cross+Hairs will appear and you use your mouse to draw a square around what you want to capture. When you stop drawing a toolbar appears and you click the camera icon:

In this window you can add arrows, text, etc. When you are done, click the UPLOAD button at the bottom right.
Once your capture has uploaded, click the OPEN button:

IMPORTANT! DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

Once the picture PAGE has opened in your web browser, click on the picture to open JUST THE PICTURE in a new browser window.
In the new browser window copy the URL that ends in .PNG. This is the link to the picture.

Paste this link into the IMAGE prompt on the forum.
Back at CAPTURE you can CLOSE the UPLOAD COMPLETE dialog box.

All images in this post were done with this program.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #13

THOR #25320
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211107_180611.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	34742   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211107_180621.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	34743  

Old 11-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #14

THOR #10956
Talked to the LCI tech gut today, his first thought based on my symptoms was a voltage problem. He recommended I unhook from shore power and put a meter on the controller when running. He stated in low voltage it will send power to the motor with the least resistance easier and often show one side moving faster than the other until it stops. I know both motors do work (power wise) because in override the run in like normal with no issues. I am still leaning towards one of the sensor wires being broken, but just can’t explain no error message. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow and see. Honestly a bad battery would be much cheaper and easier or even the power connection from the battery to the controller. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:34 AM   #15
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
First question, when is the last time you cleaned and waxed your slide, top, sides, and bottom, along with cleaning and lubing the sweep seals inside and out? This adds a ton of drag on the slide and can and will overcome the gear box and motors ability to move the slide in. Out is generally not as bad. The inside sweeps top, left, right, bottom, and then use a flat tool with a rag to clean under the inside bottom sweep and then lube the bottom sweep. It may cure your problem. You will be shocked on just how much dirt and pebbles are under the inside bottom sweep. -- Don't ask me why I know all of this, but it just cost me $225.00 for the dealership to have a tek do this and then show me. My BIG SLIDE, and I mean BIG, now functions perfectly!