Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
oh man.... No bueno.
I think i am having a work RV weekend this weekend- might be time to pull out the stripped ones and replace....

Old 05-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Check my slide yesterday. Found several broken screws under the slide. So check everywhere not just the railing

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #23

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Turns out I get to replace the front motor. Back one is ok. 265 plus labor.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 AM   #24

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
I found at least 8 on mine that were loose.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #25

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have a 2016 Miramar and I have checked all the screws. No problems with rust or loose screws on the slides. I do have some rusty screw heads on the tail lights.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #26

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno1950 View Post
Turns out I get to replace the front motor. Back one is ok. 265 plus labor.
Check out the Swyntec YouTube videos for replacing the motors, looks simple if you can get to it !
Basically, unplug the old motor, remove retaining screw, lift out the old motor, drop the new one in, making sure it's on the shaft, reinstall the restraining screw, reconnect the plug ! That's it
Old 05-06-2018, 03:29 AM   #27

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
Thanks for info

2013 37LS,

i checked my screws on the slide, one track had only 2 screws holding the track in place,

i replaced 40+ screws due to stripped out condition

the oem screw is a #10 - 1 inch long i installed a oversized screw in place of the stripped out screws i used #12 x 1 inch

be careful easy to strip out the oversized also

i changed 40 screws on my slide, some were in other area's of the slide construction, but 40 plus screws stripped out WOW.

i can say the sound of the slide retracting after repair was much different than before much more solid sound ( what ever that may mean)
Old 05-06-2018, 03:53 AM   #28

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
I changed all 60 with stainless steel and lok-tite. I used a lol-tite that allows removal if needed. Didn’t know they made anything like that. Now I have to replace the motor but Lippert is telling me they have none in stock. ��
Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #29

Model: Quantum 31WS
THOR #7419
Thank goodness for the forum. Just checked mine today onva 17 Quantum WS31. All stainless. A few loose, two that had had sheared off heads. Stepped over 1/4 inch, drilled new pilot hole and replaced with overize screw. Backed all others out and reset with lock tite.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #30

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I think I'll start a new business...Re-manufactured New RV's. For a mere 5% more, you can have your new RV dropped off and we'll go through it with a fine toothed comb before delivery. It's amazing how fast these things are built and how slack the assembly lines are. I know there's good intentions but life is measured by the end results. If these were cars, governed by the same standards, there would be tens of thousands of recalls.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I think I'll start a new business...Re-manufactured New RV's. For a mere 5% more, you can have your new RV dropped off and we'll go through it with a fine toothed comb before delivery. It's amazing how fast these things are built and how slack the assembly lines are. I know there's good intentions but life is measured by the end results. If these were cars, governed by the same standards, there would be tens of thousands of recalls.
Given how bad some of these are built you may not be able to make a profit charging only 5% more!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #32

Model: Quantum 31WS
THOR #7419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Given how bad some of these are built you may not be able to make a profit charging only 5% more!
Agreed. Likely cost more than 5% to catch the screw ups...oris that loose...
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #33

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Supposedly the price paid by the dealer includes a discount amount to correct initial defects. If the dealer has already been paid to do work, what’s the incentive to actually do it? Honor system?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:00 AM   #34

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
Supposedly the price paid by the dealer includes a discount amount to correct initial defects. If the dealer has already been paid to do work, what’s the incentive to actually do it? Honor system?
Camping World charges the buyer about $1200 as "dealer prep" to take care of the factory's obvious "oopsies". Still it takes the vigilant buyer to point them out at the PDI.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 31W
THOR #5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno1950 View Post
Have a full side slide on my ACE. Word to the wise here. Check all the screws used to attach the gear brackets to the slide. There are about 8 or ten screws holding the two top brackets on both sides of the slide
If you haven’t done it, make sure they are all in tight. I had one start to back out which caused the slide to stop about 4 inches from full retraction. It bent the screw head, which made it a bitch to get out. Had to use manual override to get it closed. Probably will have to replace a motor soon. Making a grinding noise.
I think when I get to my next stop I’ll spend the whole day going over every screw, but and bolt I can find. Probably should have done that a year ago.
I have a 2016 Chateau 31W with a full wall slide.
Check the motor make sure it is sitting parallel to the slide and not leaning in toward those screws. I had the same problem and motor was damaged and quit. took to shop and they found out the slide was installed wrong. Motor was leaning in toward slide. They had to counter sink those screws just so motor will clear. The frame of slide where it secures to main body needs to be re done to straighten the motor. I asked Thor to reimburse the money spent $669.98 and to correct the frame they refused! They just said I am out of warranty, When they installed this slide wrong they set in motion the failure and so happen to fail less than two years later. So everyone BE WARE!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #36

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Camping World charges the buyer about $1200 as "dealer prep" to take care of the factory's obvious "oopsies". Still it takes the vigilant buyer to point them out at the PDI.
I was a pretty vigilant buyer, but my particular dealer still failed to shore up everything on our "We Owe" form. I've just ended up fixing a lot of things myself. Some of the things I've had fixed at the dealership were done half ass or the caused additional damage from the fix. I'm really at peace with how it all worked out. It's a good lesson learned.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #37

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Virginia
THOR #9819
We bought a used, but in very good condition, 2012 ACE 29.2. Driving home from the dealer, the slide "jiggled" and made a lot of noise. I could see the screw heads on the track behind the driver's seat, so I thought I'd tighten a few to see if that made any difference. First one twisted right off. Upon inspection, the screw was completely rusted out just behind the head. I tried another. Same thing. I quit till I could get home.

At home, I have a large selection of stainless screws which I use all over the farm. I get them from Allen Fastners (Chrome Bolts, Stainless Steel Bolts, Metric Bolts, Socket Head Cap Screws, Grade 8 Bolts, F911 Bolts). They're not expensive. For example a #10 x 3/4 self-tapping is 9 cents. I buy them by the hundred and use them all over the place, and the American made. The quality if high.

Why Thor used cheap zinc coated screws I will never know. The cost difference for the slide couldn't be more than a nickle a screw, maybe $2 total.

We have come to realize our ACE is a "starter" model. Built as inexpensively as possible for the lowest possible selling price and maximum profits, hoping we'll move up to a better model in the future - which we will someday now that we know more about what we're looking at.

Meanwhile, since about 10 of the screws rusted out and twisted off, I had to drill pilot holes next to the original locations in the rails and put the new #10 pan head ss self-tapping screws there. I then filled the old holes with a dab of silicone. Works well so far.

Turns out the "squeak" was on account of the roller mechanism. Schwintek recommends CRC Power Lube. Lippert, which makes Power Lube, has a YouTube video showing how to do it. (). It's quick and really works. Takes just a quick spray or two and given how well it works on our slide, one can should last forever.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #38

State: North Carolina
THOR #11045
Sshwintech Slide

We have a 2014 Thor 35HT and the full-length slide is now out of plumb both horizontally and vertically by more than ⅜" in both directions. Trying to manually re-snych the system has not corrected the issue and we now have water on the floor when we bring the slide in. Any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #39

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Virginia
THOR #9819
We didn't know to check "plumb" on the slide when we bought it. Just another test I guess we should have made. In fact, there are lots of tests we should probably have made and didn't know to do. Suppose there's a list somewhere for people buying a used RV?

When getting an operational run-through at the dealer before buying, he made a special point of showing us that the oil level in the Onan generator was high (i.e. full). We were surprised that he'd make a point of that, but just let it go and filed it under the heading "odd, maybe unusual, but not out of the ordinary". Now that we've run the generator a few times, we find that the oil level goes down. No visible sign of leakage, nor any black carbon on the inside end of the exhaust pipe. Must be going somewhere. Probably burning oil, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Just one of those things to check before handing over the purchase price.

Fortunately, our slide must be OK since it moves smoothly in and out. Other than the squeak, which the CRC fixed, we have no issues with it.

Have you contacted Thor? And, if so, what did they say about how to correct the "out of plumb" problem? What about Schwintek? Do they have any idea of what can be done?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:14 AM   #40

Model: Challenger GT
State: British Columbia
THOR #5323
My 2015 Challenger GT is in the shop right now. I keep getting a little water inside just behind the drivers seat?
The slide screws are just like you guys are talking about, some loose and some rusted. Dealer telling me water damage from inside the walls? I do see the caulking is cracked a bit along the slide rail. Any thoughts? I will replace screws with SS. Love this forum.