Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #14928
Engine not getting petrol to it

Hi all - hoping someone Can help. I have just purchased a 34ft 1996 hurricane rv motorhome 6.8 litre. It starts and runs fine on lpg but has been sat for over a year and will not run on petrol.
Tapped the tank and it sounded empty so put 4 gallons in thinking if it was empty this would be enough but no.... putting it direct from can into the engine and it runs on it fine until it’s all gone. Should 4 gallons be enough to get it running on petrol as the tank looks huge. Where is the fuel filter etc and is there something else I can try? Many thanks for your suggestions.
Paul

Old 04-05-2019, 12:52 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum, all the way from England. I am not an expert on your coach but I think that if your engine is fuel injected (and unless it has been replaced/modified, it probably is being 1995/6) your fuel pump and filter are in the fuel tank. I am not sure how much fuel is required as a minimum, but I would think it should start/run on the 4 gallons (18 litres) you put in the tank. Can you hear the fuel pump start running when trying to start? Since someone has modified the engine to run on propane maybe there is something wrong in the fuel conversion technology used that switches between fuel sources.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
IMO...4 gallons is just enough to line the bottom of the tank. Fill it to 1/4 at least. The fact that it runs on LP eliminates the ignition system and isolates it to a fuel delivery problem. If its been run on LP the entire time with previous owner, you may have bad seals in the fuel system, pump in tank is seized up, filters clogged or a host of other issues. What type manual switching system do you use that changes back and forth from LP to gasoline? Look for model numbers or some type of ID on that system and contact the maker of those parts...
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blocked, fuel, fuel pump, petrol