Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
KKV

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #20141
SCT Tuner for V10

Have completed a full suspension upgrade on our Thor ace 30.2. The mechanic who did the installs mentioned tuners on the market that have a positive impact on engine performance. He said the biggest thing he hears is more active shifting and it’s a noticeable improvement. Anybody have experience with these tuners and profiles?

Old 09-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
What year is your ACE? Or more specifically, does it have the 5 or 6 speed transmission? I bought the 5 Star for my 5 speed coach and it did help with the shift points, reducing the downshift for every little hill. Wasn’t a magic cure all though. I did not find any advantage for the engine performance. I subsequently bought a newer coach of similar size to yours with the 6 speed transmission and I do not plan to purchase the tuner for it.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
KKV

THOR #20141
Thanks. It's a 2017 on standard F53 chassis. D321 is what I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
What year is your ACE? Or more specifically, does it have the 5 or 6 speed transmission? I bought the 5 Star for my 5 speed coach and it did help with the shift points, reducing the downshift for every little hill. Wasn’t a magic cure all though. I did not find any advantage for the engine performance. I subsequently bought a newer coach of similar size to yours with the 6 speed transmission and I do not plan to purchase the tuner for it.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
Thanks. It's a 2017 on standard F53 chassis. D321 is what I've got.

That’d be the 6 speed transmission. Frankly, based on my experience, I wouldn’t spend the money for the 5 Star. Other than altered shift points (that the 6 speed doesn’t need) I did not find any benefit. You’ll probably find others who disagree but that’s my experience.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Here's what I do, not that you have to follow.

When I see a small grade, I turn off the CC and use my foot. If she downshifts then, I let her and slow down so she doesn't pop to 4k+. 3 is the max I allow. If you can see the grade coming and you time it right, you can gain speed to help.

It's not a complete cure depending on the grade and it's length but I've achieved 8+ mpg towing a 3500lb towed.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
Have completed a full suspension upgrade on our Thor ace 30.2. The mechanic who did the installs mentioned tuners on the market that have a positive impact on engine performance. He said the biggest thing he hears is more active shifting and it’s a noticeable improvement. Anybody have experience with these tuners and profiles?
Do a search for 5 Star Tuning on this site and you will have couple days reading. I have a Sept 2015 F-53 18,000 lb chassis with 6-sp. The engine was ok but the transmission shifting profile was terrible. I worked with 5 Star to get the shifting in normal and tow/haul to suit my needs. It took three tries to get a tune that fit my needs. 5 star stuck with me all the way, happy trying to please me.

If you are looking for a notable power increase or better fuel mileage a 5 Start tune, is not what you want. If you want would like different shift points and a more responsive throttle pedal, then this could be your answer. I am a very happy customer after 4 years and 27,000 miles.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Here's what I do, not that you have to follow.

When I see a small grade, I turn off the CC and use my foot. If she downshifts then, I let her and slow down so she doesn't pop to 4k+. 3 is the max I allow. If you can see the grade coming and you time it right, you can gain speed to help.

It's not a complete cure depending on the grade and it's length but I've achieved 8+ mpg towing a 3500lb towed.
Why turn off the cruise control? Just push the right pedal to speed up and help the cruise control overcome its inability to anticipate the upcoming hill. Take you foot out of it as you crest the hill and let Otto resume control.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
KKV

THOR #20141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Do a search for 5 Star Tuning on this site and you will have couple days reading. I have a Sept 2015 F-53 18,000 lb chassis with 6-sp. The engine was ok but the transmission shifting profile was terrible. I worked with 5 Star to get the shifting in normal and tow/haul to suit my needs. It took three tries to get a tune that fit my needs. 5 star stuck with me all the way, happy trying to please me.

If you are looking for a notable power increase or better fuel mileage a 5 Start tune, is not what you want. If you want would like different shift points and a more responsive throttle pedal, then this could be your answer. I am a very happy customer after 4 years and 27,000 miles.

Thanks. Will check it out.