Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34 j
State: North Carolina
THOR #22352
Self leveling system control panel just turns on??

when driving my 2017 Thor Wind sport 34j The control panel turns on by itself. its random and often. when i hit the button to shut it off , my radio shuts off then turns back on. my control panel sometimes gives me a low voltage error. I'm wondering if I have a loose wire or ground somewhere. I have found a lot of loose wires over the first few years of ownership. any thoughts???

Old 02-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Loose grounds are hard to find but probably not as hard as a bad crimp on a 12v supply.

good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:04 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Just keep chasing down, and checking your connections.
Good luck!
Old 02-28-2021, 10:56 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
This is a very strange one. Do you have any issues using the leveler system or radio separately, or together once parked? When you manually turn off the leveler display unit does it shut off OK? How long does it take for the radio to go off and then come on again after turning the leveler display panel off?
Trying to find some common link between these systems here........The typical RV dash radio is powered from the coach (house) battery. Radio in line fusing is often in the dash behind the radio, but not sure in your 2017. Radio ground could be as simple as a metal support bracket bolted into dash chassis from the radio chassis. I am also not certain how the leveler display panel beside the driver is powered, but I think all its wiring comes from the leveler control unit, usually mounted on the ceiling of one of the basement storage cubbies; usually near the hydraulic pump and valve body location. This is the unit that actually senses level and controls the hydraulic valve body etc. I think the +14 ignition sense voltage and parking brake “on” ground sense comes into the leveler control unit on one connector. The coach battery also powers the leveler hydraulic motor and there are “likely” additional coach battery (+ and ground) wiring connections provided via the hydraulic system motor connections directly into the leveler controller unit as well on another connector.

Not sure how the leveler display unit can turn on by itself and then when you turn it off, the radio also turns off and then comes on again? If it were my coach I would try to solve the leveler display coming on by itself first.........probably make sure all wiring connectors to the leveling control unit are plugged in fully and none of the wires terminating on any of those connectors have worked their way out of the connector bodies. I would also check the display panel beside the driver and make sure its connector is on solid and there are no signs of water/coffee/pop intrusion into that panel. Driver spills or rain coming in a left open window may cause strange things to happen. If you can resolve that first problem, maybe the radio will magically come along for the ride?