Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Sequence of water equipment...

My setup is, from spigot out is:
Spigot - Y splitter - short water hose - water filters - pressure regulator - long zero G - wet bay

I put the regulator after the filters as I believe that each filter's resistance lowers the pressure so putting it before would lower the pressure too much.

Should I put the longer water hose before or after (which would allow only filtered water into the longer water rated hose) the filters?

I'm also considering getting a Berkey travel just for sihts and grins and drinking water. But that has nothing to do with my sequence question...

Thoughts?

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
As long as your pressure regulator is "downstream" from the filters: you're good to go.
I put my regulator right at the City water inlet: inside my wet bay...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Name:  shopping.jpeg
Views: 464
Size:  8.2 KB
Just FYI! This is a regulator! I put a Y on the water source with the regulator, preset at 55 psi, on one side simply due to the weight of the regulator didn't wanting it hanging on plastic fittings on the rv. The other side of the Y was non regulated water for washing or whatever.
Then added my long hose which connected to a cartridge filter with a sediment cartridge into a RV water softener followed by another cartridge filter with a charcoal cartridge all mounted in a milk crate sitting under the edge of the rv & then a short hose to the rv inlet.
With this setup we had good tasting clear water at every stop.
We've been to parks that had orange tags at the spigot informing you they had 110 psi water pressure & a regulator was required, if you'd have put the regulator on the rv rather than the spigot you'd have blown up your hose in short order.
Click image for larger version

Name:	40064__34273.1479923235.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	31569
This is a restrictor, most call it a regulator but it doesn't regulate, that restricts the flow regardless of pressure & once the internal spring gets weak or rusty it will restrict the flow to nearly nothing.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Folks tend to use the terms interchangeably: not a big deal...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #5

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Here’s my setup. I never thought about the 110psi issue but my short feeder hose is supposedly rated at 100psi (buy Chinese - so who knows…)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0A56C0A-0F4E-4A8C-A704-579428965AF6.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	31579   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A3E655D-6BA4-4E26-A703-32531B1B4D51.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	31580  

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have been in a couple campgrounds where my water hose looked like an Anacondo

there are some that go well over 100 psig

Now I put my regulator at the hydrant bib
Old 06-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Mountain views RVP is Sundance,WY has a sign over the desk stating, the water pressure is 80 to 110 psi depending on the season. For me, it is CG hose bib - pressure regulator - long white hose - splitter - vacuum breaker - green hose - quick disconnect - tank flush and splitter (same as previous) - short white hose - carbon filter (GAC) - short white hose - water softener - short white hose -right angle adapter - water inlet (no wet bay for fresh water).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:19 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
Spigot - Y splitter - short water hose - water filters - pressure regulator - long zero G - wet bay

I put the regulator after the filters as I believe that each filter's resistance lowers the pressure so putting it before would lower the pressure too much.

Thoughts?
My setup is like yours minus the short hose. I agree that the regulator should come after the filters as they can handle higher pressure and they will eat up some of it as well.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Wow! You guys are serious about your water. I use a hose from the post to the water inlet on my coach. If the pressure seems excessive I add an adjustable regulator. No filter at all. I admire your commitment. We drink and cook with bottled water or from a Brita pitcher if we have city water on the hookup.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
I setup my water the same way, Y splitter, pressure regulator, short flexible hose, inline water filter, hose (marked potable), RV. The 2nd part of the Y splitter i will use for washing with another hose marked not potable.
We have a berkey for travel and its nice to use, it just takes up space though. Make sure to prime it with water first otherwise it will fill super slowly.
Also- with the pressure reglator- i have had issues with them freezing on me when its cold outside and damaging them. So make sure you dont let them freeze, otherwise it messes up the device.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:13 PM   #11

Model: FourWinds
State: Ontario
THOR #21045
Quote:

Should I put the longer water hose before or after (which would allow only filtered water into the longer water rated hose) the filters?

I'm also considering getting a Berkey travel just for sihts and grins and drinking water. But that has nothing to do with my sequence question...

Thoughts?
Check your filter - most are only good for household pressures of 50-60 psi. If you put the regulator right at the spigot then you protect everything downstream. If you are worried about the filter causing a loss adjust the output on the regulator to accommodate.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Wally world regulator, camco white hose and brass 90 at coach. I beleive in keeping life as simple as possible.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:04 AM   #13
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:

Thoughts?
I have stayed at three parks where they warn you to have your pressure regulator at the spigot. 140psi, 150psi, and the third at 200psi. I carry a cheep fixed regulator for then then through my hose and into my rig with the adjustable regulator. From there to the filters etc.. The park with 200psi was just up the road from Appomattox Court House National Historical Park Virginia.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:03 AM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
sometimes I'll use a Y adapter for a feed to a second hose with nozzle for utility use, if we'll be there a while, depending on situation....

for the regulator...generally I'll turn the spigot on to let it flush a few seconds before I attach the hose.... then I'll run a few seconds through the hose to flush it out before attaching to the RV...if either of those tell be the system has a high pressure...&/or if the place seems like it might be a janky system then I'll break out the regulator. If the system seems to have a really high pressure I'll put it on the spigot...otherwise I might put it at the RV connection.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Get a travel Berkey..we love ours ..we have even put lake creek water in it from a 5 gal jug
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:14 AM   #16

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Regulator at the spigot--or 1st after the "Y--I used to put filter at the spigot until I had the bottom blow out of one, at about 80psi. The blue inline filters state 'never exceed 60psi'.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:49 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Blue filter hangs off mh
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote