Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2023, 07:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw
State: Vermont
THOR #29571
Sewage oder

I recently bought a new 2023 Thor Outlaw Class C. Just returned home from a long weekend and my rv spells like sewage. Have flushed both black and grey tank multiple times using Rv tank cleaners. Does the 2023 have a second blank tank valve? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Btw, this us my 1st rv. Adrienne

Old 04-30-2023, 07:51 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosmartinos@gmail.com View Post
I recently bought a new 2023 Thor Outlaw Class C. Just returned home from a long weekend and my rv spells like sewage. Have flushed both black and grey tank multiple times using Rv tank cleaners. Does the 2023 have a second blank tank valve? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Btw, this us my 1st rv. Adrienne
We have used these for years. This picture and $1 pine sol from the dollar store.
Also after you flush, if it sits a while the heat may cause odors but pine sol works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230430_134920_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	41751  
Old 04-30-2023, 08:02 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
You MAY have a second black tank valve on the passenger side of the RV if that is where your toilet is located (N/A Class C Outlaws). Otherwise, you probably have leaking Air Admittance Valves (AAV) under the bathroom and/or kitchen sinks.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:27 PM   #4

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Please be sure and add 4 to 5 gallons of water in the tank after flushing with the deodorizer and chemicals recommended for RV,s.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2023, 10:12 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Do a google search of the geo method. It works.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:53 PM   #6

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I assume you mean you get the strong odor while inside, if so; I am going with a bad or poorly plumbed vent. Bad Air Admittance valve as previously mentioned is also a likely culprit.

When our coach was new, I replaced both vents with the Syphon 360 Model. Slightly different problem than you described, but if toilet was flushed or sink used while driving the odors were getting trapped inside because the wind over roof basically trapped it. The Syphon 360 uses the wind to help suck out the odors. It also does the same when coach is not moving. It works great.

I bet if you find the plumbing diagrams, you will find that one of the PVC fittings is loose and the odors that should be venting is making it's way to the coach.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:43 AM   #7

THOR #29571
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm researching it all now. I failed to mention that the RV smells just as bad putside (maybe worse) as inside. If you can think of anything else, send along. It is all greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:14 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Are you frying your batteries by any chance?
Old 05-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #9

THOR #29571
no, not frying batteries. Checked that as well. I pretty much exhausted all suggestions. I will be bringing it in for service (hopefully soon). Thank you, all. I will post back when repaired with the outcome. Adrienne
Old 05-06-2023, 08:08 PM   #10

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #18055
Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm researching it all now. I failed to mention that the RV smells just as bad putside (maybe worse) as inside. If you can think of anything else, send along. It is all greatly appreciated.
I have a thor freedom elite class c. And yes, I have a second
Black tank valve under my rig. Follow your sewer pipe under your rig to check.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:47 AM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The second black tank drain valve on the passenger side trips up a lot of Class C owners because they never cover it during the PDI and it is not mentioned in the manual. You need to download the Schematics for your specific coach from the Thor Owners website to see it. If you have not opened it when draining your tanks, the black tank is likely full to the brim.

If you have been using the second drain valve, then I agree with DK. It could be a plumbing issue with the vent or other plumbing issue causing a leak of air or liquid inside or outside of the coach.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:24 AM   #12

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Our RV: 2016 Outlaw 29J

We dealt with the black tank odor for a good while. Once it was emptied, it was okay. Use if for a week, then that smell, oh my!

I started dropping a chlorine tablet in to help combat it, and sometimes used PineSol, or vinegar.

The seals on the toilet, the seal at the gate valve, were not compatible with the chemicals and got swollen out of place. I had to replace them all. While the toilet was removed from the floor, I used clear silicone on both sides of the seal where the toilet meets the floor.

Still dealing with it, I purchased and installed the swivel by wind direction caps for the vent stack, replaced the purge one way valves found under both sinks in the plumbing drains. Pulled the wall apart to see the vent pipe that is usually hidden to see if it was coming apart.

Finally, I pulled the toilet off once more, the floor gasket that I used the silicone on, it did not adhere to the seal at all, plus the seal had shifted some not making a good seal. I purchased another seal, only this time, I used gasket shellac on both sides of it before re-assembly.

It worked, I have eliminated my sewer odor, at least for now, that has been over 18 months ago now. Believe me, I was at wits end, and with all the complaints on Thor quality, I didn't know what to expect. LOL, I got it now though.

edit in: Yes two gate valves for the black tank. On ours, just after the tank itself on passenger side, this one last to open, first to close. The other is on the driver's side at the dump connection. That one first to open and closed after dumping and closing the one on passenger side. Then there is the gray tank gate valve, this one last and it helps wash the yuck out of the discharge hose. But we all know this, right?
Old 05-10-2023, 12:48 PM   #13
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
THOR #22388
Running the ceiling exhaust fan will also suck odors from the toilet and into the unit.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #14
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We have used these for years. This picture and $1 pine sol from the dollar store.
Also after you flush, if it sits a while the heat may cause odors but pine sol works.
We just came from a short seminar by Kleen Tank and they have been recommending for year NOT to use the common type of tank treatments.
Black and grey tanks are NOT septic tanks but holding tanks. Once you break down the stuff, it turns to sludge then a sticky mess.
They have a home made treatment. I have been using this for the last few years and works well. Also the Calgon keep the rubber parts lubed.

In a 1 gallon container (wide mouth preferred) Pour a 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (any scent works) and add 1/2 cup of Calgon Bath beads. Add the water to the gallon jug. Shake well. Add 1/2 cup to black AND grey water tanks and add 2-3 gallons of water to each of the tanks.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:09 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
We just came from a short seminar by Kleen Tank and they have been recommending for year NOT to use the common type of tank treatments.
Black and grey tanks are NOT septic tanks but holding tanks. Once you break down the stuff, it turns to sludge then a sticky mess.
They have a home made treatment. I have been using this for the last few years and works well. Also the Calgon keep the rubber parts lubed.

In a 1 gallon container (wide mouth preferred) Pour a 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (any scent works) and add 1/2 cup of Calgon Bath beads. Add the water to the gallon jug. Shake well. Add 1/2 cup to black AND grey water tanks and add 2-3 gallons of water to each of the tanks.
You do this after each dump? That’s a lot of work. Also would require a lot of storage space. I guess I’m just lucky. In 40 years of dumping camper tanks, all I’ve ever done is add a scoop of happy camper. We’re on the road right now for 12 weeks. Dump black about every 5 days. (Maybe more often depending whether beer was good) And to address the “sticky sludge”, when I dump the black tank, watching thru the clear connector, it’s brown water, not sticky sludge.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:27 PM   #16

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I have been using Thetford or some derivation of Thetford product for the same for 30 years in portie potties, boats and now RV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thetford-...sRedirect=true

I have 40 gallon tank. I pour in one bottom after a thorough Sani Flush rinse and I am done. I don't even bother to add water. Why? Water will come soon enough.

A few years ago, it came out bluish, but they changed to a more environmental friendly chemical and it is light brown but a slurry, NOT a sludge? No toilet paper is visible.

Never an issue with smell in coach unless in bathroom & you are in the middle of taking care of business

We did use some dissolvable packets about 3 years ago that we got for free and they were horrible.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 05:27 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Our RV: 2016 Outlaw 29J

We dealt with the black tank odor for a good while. Once it was emptied, it was okay. Use if for a week, then that smell, oh my!

I started dropping a chlorine tablet in to help combat it, and sometimes used PineSol, or vinegar.

The seals on the toilet, the seal at the gate valve, were not compatible with the chemicals and got swollen out of place. I had to replace them all. While the toilet was removed from the floor, I used clear silicone on both sides of the seal where the toilet meets the floor.

Still dealing with it, I purchased and installed the swivel by wind direction caps for the vent stack, replaced the purge one way valves found under both sinks in the plumbing drains. Pulled the wall apart to see the vent pipe that is usually hidden to see if it was coming apart.

Finally, I pulled the toilet off once more, the floor gasket that I used the silicone on, it did not adhere to the seal at all, plus the seal had shifted some not making a good seal. I purchased another seal, only this time, I used gasket shellac on both sides of it before re-assembly.

It worked, I have eliminated my sewer odor, at least for now, that has been over 18 months ago now. Believe me, I was at wits end, and with all the complaints on Thor quality, I didn't know what to expect. LOL, I got it now though.

edit in: Yes two gate valves for the black tank. On ours, just after the tank itself on passenger side, this one last to open, first to close. The other is on the driver's side at the dump connection. That one first to open and closed after dumping and closing the one on passenger side. Then there is the gray tank gate valve, this one last and it helps wash the yuck out of the discharge hose. But we all know this, right?
PineSol
$1.25 at dollar store.
We always chase dumps with this.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:29 PM   #18
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
You do this after each dump? That’s a lot of work. Also would require a lot of storage space. I guess I’m just lucky. In 40 years of dumping camper tanks, all I’ve ever done is add a scoop of happy camper. We’re on the road right now for 12 weeks. Dump black about every 5 days. (Maybe more often depending whether beer was good) And to address the “sticky sludge”, when I dump the black tank, watching thru the clear connector, it’s brown water, not sticky sludge.
I make a gallon at a time. I use an Amazon ice tea container. The square gallon size. 1 cup after each empty.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:43 PM   #19
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
When I had a fifth wheel, I had the odor. Turns out to be the Studor valve under the sink. Then a leaking gray water drain valve filling the under belly. I used Happy Camper in both the black and gray tanks. It eliminates the odor. Trust me when you have to change a valve under your rig on your back, you don't want odor. Gray water stinks much more that the black. Changed seals on that rig three times while I had it.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:39 PM   #20

THOR #20220
I agree ..reason we do happy camper & pine sol black tank. And pine sol in sinks traps and gray tank
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023 thor outlaw class c