Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2017, 04:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #6782
Sewer Discharge flange

Here's the meat slicer on my 2014 Vegas 24.1 AKA the sewer connection.
First time I attempted to connect a discharge hose my hand was a bloody mess, ripped to shreds by the protruding screws on the underside of the flange.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a warranty issue or just poor design? Do I file them, cover them? Suggestions. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170501_094030_LI.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	4798  

fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknapp View Post
First time I attempted to connect a discharge hose my hand was a bloody mess, ripped to shreds by the protruding screws on the underside of the flange.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a warranty issue or just poor design? Do I file them, cover them? Suggestions. . .
I would send that picture to Thor customer service and the district manager and ask if this was acceptable assembly to be released from the factory!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
fknapp,
That is a really unsafe hazard indeed! Is your motorhome a 2014 model or a 2017 model? If it is a 2017 model then you have a valid warranty claim and you can have the dealer fix it or do it yourself and save a trip. Are you up-to-date on your Tetanus booster?

Since the screw projection don't grip anything would try to grind down the points, clean the area around the screws and plastic, and then cover the screws with either a good silicone caulk. You would need to recheck them to make sure the haven't backed out or loosened and that the caulk hadn't fallen off. It looks like the large opening is threaded so is there a cover or plug?

Ed L
2016 Thor Synergy TT24
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8RXQ
It looks like the large opening is threaded so is there a cover or plug?
Yes there is a cover that screws in from the inside once you move the outlet out of the way.

I haven't really looked or noticed any death screws protruding from the bottom of our sewer outlet on our 2014.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
one simple idea might be to add a clear adapter to the head of your sewer hose, where it attaches to this outlet. the clear tube would then easily give you room to attach it to the outlet without your hands having to be so close to the protruding screws... it would also let you 'see' how your drainage is flowing ; )

i find that my clear adapter tube is much easier to attach to my outlet than the typical end of a sewer hose... much more 'room' to work with...and grip.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Had the same thing on my 2015 Axis. Cut my hand a couple of times before I realized what was causing it. I just took a small file to the sharpe points down to the flange a couple of years back and haven't had any problem with the screws backing out or the like.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #7

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i saw these screws while patching the big holes in plastic box where the pipes came in. looked like they beat holes in the box with a hammer. that is when i knew the kind of crap work the factory does. took grinder to screw ,took a minute to fix that. then i fixed the tank heaters that were falling off and made a shield to protect the front of propane tank and the access door from the front tire throwing rocks, mud and water on them. i guess Thor thought the front of tank was the mud flap.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam
one simple idea might be to add a clear adapter to the head of your sewer hose, where it attaches to this outlet. the clear tube would then easily give you room to attach it to the outlet without your hands having to be so close to the protruding screws... it would also let you 'see' how your drainage is flowing ; )
That really isn't an option because to stow the sewer outlet it is rotated out of the way and the cover is screwed in place blocking the hole. A clear adapter would still have to be removed...
Old 05-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:

Same thing on our 2016 24.1 and it has been talked about on the forum before. I put up with the cut hands for a couple of attacks and then changed them out. I used stainless steel allen head bolts, washers and locking nuts. It is just another example of the finish problems that Thor thinks we have to put up with to "keep their costs down".... Don't bother calling Thor, just change them out yourself and move on with the next item.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:33 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #6782
Yes indeed my friends. All very good replies. I have the technical and DIY prowess to affect a repair/solution. Twisting the connector is not an option as it is fixed in this position. Adding an extender is not a good option as the Vegas/Axis sits low enough that the extension would eventually scrap "something" along the highway/byways. There is no cap or cover provided just a gaping open pipe. Yes I have covers that I can use and probably will eventually but not until I fix those deadly screws.

Attached is another photo of the Interior Driver windshield post that has come lose from the molding. Has this ever happened to anyone? I have a date with the dealer to address this and other annoying warranty issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170501_094105.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	4812  
fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknapp
Twisting the connector is not an option as it is fixed in this position.
Most likely it is not. All the Axis/Vegas sewer outlets do rotate. It took ours a few seasons before I could move it, but it does move.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 AM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:

I have it. Ripped glove and lacerated hand. I cut some poster board to cover and secured with gorilla tape. Problem solved.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Yes indeed my friends. All very good replies. I have the technical and DIY prowess to affect a repair/solution. Twisting the connector is not an option as it is fixed in this position. Adding an extender is not a good option as the Vegas/Axis sits low enough that the extension would eventually scrap "something" along the highway/byways. There is no cap or cover provided just a gaping open pipe. Yes I have covers that I can use and probably will eventually but not until I fix those deadly screws.

Attached is another photo of the Interior Driver windshield post that has come lose from the molding. Has this ever happened to anyone? I have a date with the dealer to address this and other annoying warranty issues.
Yep, happened to ours too. Had it fixed once at the dealer and it popped out again. I will have my private RV service guy look at it for some ideas. Again... QC on finish issues sucks....