Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2020, 02:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: Florida
THOR #7896
Cool Sewer Outlet Collapse!

This is my first time posting here. We have a 2017 Thor Axis 25.4 and have put about 25,000 happy miles on it so far. Stuck in Florida this summer due to Covid 19, but noticed that the SEWER CONNECTION OUTLET, which used to be a couple of inches off of the compartment ‘floor’ is now touching the bottom of the compartment where the drain hatch is. It looks like there is a tear in the wall of the compartment where the pipe enters and the whole unit where the hose connects and the valves for the gray and black tanks are located is now RESTING ON THE FLOOR! We would appreciate knowing if anyone else has encountered this issue, how much it might cost to fix it, and if you have any recommendations for a dealer or repair service in the Orlando area. Thank you so very much and safe travels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9543CF96-236D-45FA-8FAB-A0B1198A84A7.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	25532   Click image for larger version

Name:	5EE85002-DDD3-4029-958C-415AA112413D.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	25533  

Old 08-13-2020, 02:32 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Easy fix.
Potentially no money, potentially a problem.
I will eventually turn my tank so the valve is at the rear. I tell you this so you'll know how I know:

That whole Black tank on my Axis is held into plywood with only four drywall type screws.
Get lucky and yours will tighten up, be unlucky and the floor is rotted out from a shower or toilet leak.

It's very very easy to see the screws.
Lay on the ground and look at the tank perimeter.
You'll immediately see the screws and probably immediately realize the problem.

Either way, this doesn't need to be a dealer fix. This is a handyman thing. Very rudimentary stuff. No sense in the world to pay a dealer for such a mundane fix no matter which way it goes, lucky or unlucky.

It's a half day handyman or a couple of weeks(potentially) at the dealer.

Don't move it until someone looks at it. A double blowout while running over a fallen black tank is to be expected. Maybe 1,000 miles from now, maybe 1,000 yards from now, but it's inevitable.
This is a serious serious thing right now.

But
That outlet swivels, on purpose. Are you sure the outlet isn't all that has moved?
If the outlet was inches off the deck but the valve and pipe is where it's always been, just swivel that head. If the pipe has fallen three inches or so, don't drive it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:48 AM   #3

THOR #13932
And
That may be the best first post of the year.
Pictures, well thought through, bold lettering, concise and complete.

We get a lot of:
RV don't work. Is my cat at your house?

Old 08-13-2020, 05:06 AM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Google search your area for and RV mobile tech. Much cheaper and faster fix that a dealer. Lots of them in the Orlando area.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum, and I hope that "Ducky's" advice leads you to a cost-free solution!

"is my cat at your house?"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully the repair(if needed) is reasonable and quick.

Paul
Old 08-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #7

THOR #13932
How's your repair coming along?
If the handyman says something which isn't understood or doesn't sound right just let us know.
We'll Try to help sort it out.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Easy fix.

But
That outlet swivels, on purpose. Are you sure the outlet isn't all that has moved?
If the outlet was inches off the deck but the valve and pipe is where it's always been, just swivel that head. If the pipe has fallen three inches or so, don't drive it.
OP, did you check this? Not sure I see any damage in your photo, so just be sure that you don't just move the outlet up and down on a swivel (by design).
Old 08-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It may have been a nicely crafted original post but, as all too often happens, the OP has not responded again. I’m guessing he figure it out.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #10

THOR #7896
Thank you all!

Our handyman has not come yet to look at the Sewer Outlet Connection. Hoping he can come next week and will keep you posted on progress. The advice given is spot on and very much appreciated!
Old 08-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #11

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyew View Post
Our handyman has not come yet to look at the Sewer Outlet Connection. Hoping he can come next week and will keep you posted on progress. The advice given is spot on and very much appreciated!
My 1 1/4 cents worth....

You might wish to drain and flush black tank while you wait until he shows. I know you are on the road, but we have 2 of the Thetford Portable toilets that we use when we go camping. If I were at home, I would put one in the RV until issue was resolved. You might consider the purchase of one at Wal Mart to give you some level of comfort.

If you have gone 25k miles and this is your 1st real issue, you have done good taking care of your RV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #12

Model: Compass TR23
THOR #5842
Movable tank dump system

While we are talking about this Thor rotate the dump pipe for flushing, any one know how to make it easier to move the pipe up and down? I have tried silicon spray to no avail. I added a cover with a handle to be able to turn it up out of the way and down to the floor but with twist cover removed, I am on my knees pushing down with both hands to get it to move to hose-attach position.

Thanx.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #13

THOR #13932
A macerator is about 80 bucks for one lioenkine.
No Swiveling or Sniveling.
Just flip a switch.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #14

THOR #5842
Thanx Duckface

I’ll check it out. Are they self-installable?
Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #15
MLP

THOR #17478
If you are handy, yes they are and meant to be. They require a 3/4" garden hose. Otherwise the back pressure can burn out the motor. A 5/8" garden hose could be used if less than 15 feet. Never use a drinking water hose. Second wiring if going over ten feet should be ten gauge. Too much voltage dropped across the wiring will also burn out the motor. if short, 12 gauge would suffice. I say all this by watching several burn out by others. Never wanted one until I had to play slinky at three parks that thought having sewer outlets one to one and a half feet above grade. It is then I asked the campers I knew why their macerator burned out. Too small diameter of hose over the length being pumped, and too small of a gauge wire.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:37 AM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
If you are handy, yes they are and meant to be. They require a 3/4" garden hose. Otherwise the back pressure can burn out the motor. A 5/8" garden hose could be used if less than 15 feet. Never use a drinking water hose. Second wiring if going over ten feet should be ten gauge. Too much voltage dropped across the wiring will also burn out the motor. if short, 12 gauge would suffice. I say all this by watching several burn out by others. Never wanted one until I had to play slinky at three parks that thought having sewer outlets one to one and a half feet above grade. It is then I asked the campers I knew why their macerator burned out. Too small diameter of hose over the length being pumped, and too small of a gauge wire.
Mine says 50' 5/8. works great! pumps 5' up into the truck. 30 feet away.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:48 AM   #17

THOR #13932
I'm running 3/4 garden hose because I had it.
I hooked the 3/4 to the standard one inch macerator outlet using a waterthief or whatever those national park spigot adapters are called.

I'm swapping over to one inch. It's a corrugated sump pump discharge hose(it ain't got no stiff. It was this or $100 flexzilla hose. Coiling a cold garden hose is not my friend), a gasoline pump swivel(because) and firehouse type quick connects(because because). No real reason except I can, and the corrugated hose stores really easily. I'll never use the quick connects but they are full line size and for the $12 bucks I'll plan ahead.

I plan ahead because an optimist expects there will be no leaks.
A pessimist is happy if he gets less that a pint of it in his mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200819_175355~01.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	25669  

Old 08-20-2020, 01:24 AM   #18

THOR #5842
Great info!

Wow! That is a lot of good info. Thank you for the details and photo.
I can do all that.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:19 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Texas
THOR #19813
I don't understand how a macerator would be used. Is it permanently installed on the outlet to the black and gray tanks, and the outlet of the macerator connected to a hose connected to the dump inlet? Is the gravity flow from the black tank sufficient to keep the macerator supplied? What about when you are feeding water to the black tank flush - I'd be worried about running the macerator dry.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:23 AM   #20

THOR #7896
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyew View Post
This is my first time posting here. We have a 2017 Thor Axis 25.4 and have put about 25,000 happy miles on it so far. Stuck in Florida this summer due to Covid 19, but noticed that the SEWER CONNECTION OUTLET, which used to be a couple of inches off of the compartment ‘floor’ is now touching the bottom of the compartment where the drain hatch is. It looks like there is a tear in the wall of the compartment where the pipe enters and the whole unit where the hose connects and the valves for the gray and black tanks are located is now RESTING ON THE FLOOR! We would appreciate knowing if anyone else has encountered this issue, how much it might cost to fix it, and if you have any recommendations for a dealer or repair service in the Orlando area. Thank you so very much and safe travels!
Hi Everyone, Just a quick update on our SEWER OUTLET REPAIR. Our handyman. John, came today to take a quick look at the sewer outlet and assembly and we shared the great post from ducks face with him. He will come back next week to do the repair. In the meantime, we will cautiously dump and flush out the tanks and will have to raise the outlet valve a bit off the floor (using a crowbar as a lever) to open up the hatch and get the hose on. No plans to drive it until the repair is complete, per advice from this THORUM (a term for the Thor Forum I came up with when enjoying a nice glass of wine). Handyman commented that he hopes that the hoses are just clamped on and not fused to the assembly with silicone so he can rotate the hoses and raise the valves and outlet. Will keep you posted.

Tags
orlando dealers, sewer connection outlet, thor axis