Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2020, 01:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #20754
Leaking tail lights still a thing on a brand new 2020 Thor

Dealer said they contacted Thor. Thor apparently approved 1 hour of work. Dealer appeared to do nothing to resolve. They also told me at pickup that Thor said the lights are designed to breathe in water and it eventually evaporates! Seriously, this is what I was told haha. Took the lights off and the damage is already showing. Replaced with LEDs and sealed around the exterior top and sides. Decided to leave the bottom open. Just amazing the quality of parts these companies continue to use year after year with known issues. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4490.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	27339

Old 11-26-2020, 02:19 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
In case your post is read by those who haven't bought their rv yet:
Upgraded tail lights are available before delivery by buying them from the dealer.

Thor did not tell the mechanic what he said they told him.
They said the lights have weeps so condensation can escape when the humidity goes down.

Be sure and check the roof to make sure the sealant was spread correctly around the openings.
It seems to be a thing.
I've related poorly installed taillight gaskets to roof and clearance light leaks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:26 AM   #3

THOR #20754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Upgraded tail lights are available before delivery by buying them from the dealer.

Thor did not tell the mechanic what he said they told him.

They said the lights have weeps so condensation can escape when the humidity goes down.

Not trying to be an ass but this kind of reaction to a problem like this is why this industry sucks. Why would someone who just purchased a brand new rv want to replace brand new lights at the dealer? That makes no sense. The lights should not leak out the gate for any reason.

It sure doesn’t look like the weeps are working to let the condensation escape either.. Just saying.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:34 AM   #4

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdole View Post
Not trying to be an ass but this kind of reaction to a problem like this is why this industry sucks. Why would someone who just purchased a brand new rv want to replace brand new lights at the dealer? That makes no sense. The lights should not leak out the gate for any reason.

It sure doesn’t look like the weeps are working to let the condensation escape either.. Just saying.
Because it's a kit.
A lower level kit. (possibly, depending on the model of Thor you have, it's the lowest level available in its size/class)
They lended you tail lamps until you found the ones you wanted.
Same with the microwave.
You weren't charged for the $2,000 advantium some people have. They lended you a low line microwave until you found one you like with your kit.
They didn't install a $5,000 radio head I didn't want. They lended me a low line until I decide what fits me.

Buying an rv isn't the end, it's the beginning.
This outlook has made me much happier.

The car add-on personalization business is a bazillion dollar business. Rv's aren't excluded.
There are young people who have dumped $75,000 into an old supra.
It's now the way they want it.

150 mods later and my rv is getting close to how I want it.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:42 AM   #5

THOR #20754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Because it's a kit.
A lower level kit.
They lended you tail lamps until you found the ones you wanted.
Same with the microwave.
You weren't charged for the $2,000 advantium some people have. They lended you a low line microwave until you found ond you like with your kit.
They didn't install a $5,000 radio head I didn't want. They lended me a low line until I decide what fits me.

Buying an rv isn't the end, it's the beginning.
This outlook has made me much happier.

The car add-on personalization business is a bazillion dollar business. Rv's aren't excluded.
There are young people who have dumped 75,000 into an old supra.
It's now the way they want it.

Good points here but I still don’t think a brand new set of tail lights should leak regardless of trim level. This is not a one off issue either. It’s been a problem for years for many. No lower level part should leak when brand new off the lot. It’s a defect that Thor needs to step up and fix it. People should speak up until we get a set of damn tail lights that don’t leak for at least a few years.. It’s not asking much.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdole View Post
Good points here but I still don’t think a brand new set of tail lights should leak regardless of trim level. This is not a one off issue either. It’s been a problem for years for many. No lower level part should leak when brand new off the lot. It’s a defect that Thor needs to step up and fix it. People should speak up until we get a set of damn tail lights that don’t leak for at least a few years.. It’s not asking much.

You’re right, of course. They shouldn’t leak. But they do. A few minutes with some sealant and they won’t. Don’t let it get you all fussed. It is what it is and you can, at least, e glad that you knew enough from reading this forum to check it out before any damage occurred
Old 12-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #7

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You’re right, of course. They shouldn’t leak. But they do. A few minutes with some sealant and they won’t. Don’t let it get you all fussed. It is what it is and you can, at least, e glad that you knew enough from reading this forum to check it out before any damage occurred

..and also be glad you have the skill sets and abilities to do so. Many RVers are in their twilight years and just can't do most repairs anymore.
Gary
GVP
Old 12-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #13807
Thor - Not all its cracked up to be.

I am not surprised about your tail light issue. Over three RV's, Fleetwood Tioga, National Dolphin and now the Thor Chateau, I have found the quality of the Thor unit, the worst!! It looks good in the showroom, but things start falling apart as soon as you leave the lot. I've had the drain in the shower and kitchen sink both crack. I've had water lines that were reversed. I've had plastic trim around the front entry door already start fading and warping after ONE YEAR! I've had to re-seal the tub enclosure because Thor did a poor job. I've had wood moulding fall off because it wasn't nailed properly. I've had the water heater circuit board fail after one month.

It's just sad that we stress to buy products made in the USA but this is the kind of poor quality and workmanship customer's in the RV industry continue to get. Very, very disheartening.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #9

THOR #20754
Quote:
Originally Posted by awong2683 View Post
I am not surprised about your tail light issue. Over three RV's, Fleetwood Tioga, National Dolphin and now the Thor Chateau, I have found the quality of the Thor unit, the worst!! It looks good in the showroom, but things start falling apart as soon as you leave the lot. I've had the drain in the shower and kitchen sink both crack. I've had water lines that were reversed. I've had plastic trim around the front entry door already start fading and warping after ONE YEAR! I've had to re-seal the tub enclosure because Thor did a poor job. I've had wood moulding fall off because it wasn't nailed properly. I've had the water heater circuit board fail after one month.

It's just sad that we stress to buy products made in the USA but this is the kind of poor quality and workmanship customer's in the RV industry continue to get. Very, very disheartening.

Pretty close to my experience... Luckily I’ve found and fixed most of the issues myself before they became real problems. Almost every plumbing fitting was not tight enough leaking pretty bad in a few spots. I’m convinced the shyster dealer loosened them for spite. Everything was fine when we walked through at purchase. I yelled at them for not noticing a loud clicking coming from the motor compartment. It ended up being a failing house battery relay that was clicking continuously. The tech claimed they didn’t notice it which is complete bs. I drove 4 hours to pick it up and had to leave it to be fixed because of this. I’m new to the rv game, bought it as a covid outlet for my family. I knew the industry was bad but damn, I will never buy one again. I loath the argument that everyone uses about it being an earthquake every time you drive it. WTF.. Its a damn RV, you are supposed to drive it. If it can’t hold up even with proper maintenance, what’s the point? This statement dealers love to make makes me cringe. I bought a small cheaper unit and can’t imagine what it would be like to buy a big expensive class A with this being considered normal.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:09 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Regarding Tail Lights...
- yes they leak. You can repair with Butyl tape and silicone sealer. It does a fair job
Or
- you can replace with upgraded LED permanently sealed housing

For Axis/Vegas and many Class C’s, the upgraded OEM style lights are available on Amazon at an affordable price point - $40 each

https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Rectangular-Motorhome-Vertical-Horizontal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB85298E-2ABF-48CF-AA7E-FEA82F970DC5.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	27513  
Old 12-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #11

THOR #20754
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Regarding Tail Lights...

- yes they leak. You can repair with Butyl tape and silicone sealer. It does a fair job

Or

- you can replace with upgraded LED permanently sealed housing

For Axis/Vegas and many Class C’s, the upgraded OEM style lights are available on Amazon at an affordable price point - $40 each

https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Rectangular-Motorhome-Vertical-Horizontal

I used the partsam leds to replace. Still think it’s absurd to have to do it but here is what they look like. Super bright..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	27514
Old 12-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #12

THOR #13932
An alternative way to do bright backuplights is in posts 29 and 96 of my signature thread.
And you can reseal the assembly while you're changing bulbs.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:25 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #17950
I had the same problem a year ago on my 2016 ACE 30.1. My friends followed us to the Tennessee mountains. When we arrived they said "your left tail light isn't working". During inspection I found all the screws so ruste thy had no threads. The entire compartment was wet and full of bull ants. The other light was the same way. I repaired the wood the best that I could and replaced both with LEDs. They are so much brighter. Whether the old lights weep or not has nothing to do with the fact that the outside of them weren't properly sealed.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:40 AM   #14

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
I’ve discovered the same issue with both taillights. What also shocked me that it’s only a 3 yr old unit and the screws in the lens are soooo rusted. I’ve had to replace all the bulbs, the wiring on the right lights were so corroded the wires were apart. VERY PISSPOOR CRAFTMANSHIP AT THOR
Toad-undecided
Thor 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:40 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Thor depends a lot on the gullibility of new consumers. They also depend upon the apologists on the internet that thinks it is acceptable for manufacturers to sell poorly made pieces of trash just because they are entry level.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:51 AM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Same thing here with the leaking tail lights - I replaced mine with the sealed LED model from the same manufacturer.

As for overall quality, I've owned two Thor A.C.E. models ... both have been turds on wheels. Right now, I have the wall between the bath & master bedroom torn out due to a faulty fitting on the vacuum breaker! Called Thor and asked "where's the access panel for this that is shown on the schematics" ... Thor rep says, "we don't know - Tech says to cut a hole". Well, after opening up the wall, guess what I found?? An ACCESS PANEL stapled in from the shirt closet! ~sigh
Old 12-06-2020, 02:57 AM   #17

THOR #13932
So,
The well placed door you didn't see in your rv but saw on the provided schematics was access to a part Thor didn't make?
How big is that wall?

Old 12-06-2020, 03:11 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The taillights on mine were actually over tightened and cracked. Allowing water in. I took pictures. Sent to Thor. They sent me replacements at N/C.
I installed. And resealed with Pro Geocell. Problem solved. I’ve actually had very good relations with Thor. And Duckie, I expect what I bought to work as it’s supposed to. You may want to spend $100 k on an 80k unit. I don’t.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:51 AM   #19

THOR #13932
I'll keep it shorter than usual.
If I had bought used, I wouldn't have a warranty at all. Many people do buy used and actually survive.

Thor has an obligation to do warranty work. No other obligation.
I'm kinda about personal responsibilty for my personal decisions.

I bought the yugo and not the Allante. They were sitting side by side on the same lot.
I know vinyl when I see it... And I said yes.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:19 AM   #20

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
I believe you’re right Lt Keefer. My Keystone TT wasn’t built this poorly.
Toad-undecided
Thor 25 is offline   Reply With Quote