Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C Bunkhouse
State: Iowa
THOR #9451
Question Shore Power

Wondering if it is OK to leave my Thor Super-C Chateau connected to shore power during storage. I check the RV weekly and have some concern regarding overcharging the batteries during long term connection to house power. Also, does anyone have any experience or opinion regarding ultrasonic pest devices. A couple of years ago, mice had a family reunion in my RV and did a significant amount of damage. I now use repellents, traps, peppermint and anything else I can get my hands on. Because I can now keep power to the vehicle, I'm considering the ultrasonic plug-in devices. Thanks in advance.
Digger

Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
You can keep it plugged in. Just be sure to check the battery water level every few weeks. Our MHs have "smart" chargers that should reduce the charge based on the battery condition. The other option is to keep the batteries disconnected with the Use/Store switch. You will have power to the outlets and will have 12V power off the converter, but no charge going to the batteries. Just a thought.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Actually: Leave the use/store switch in Use while in storage and plugged in.

If you leave it in Store the batteries will get drained. It is a common complaint on here.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #4

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
Hmmm...my Chateau Super C was just sitting for 3 months, not plugged in, switch in "store" and the batteries were still carrying a mostly full charge this past week when we were getting it ready to go. Any ideas of what has been causing the battery drain?
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Typically Thor leaves the keep-alive wire for the radio hooked up to the house battery even when in "Store". Also, in some cases, the propane detector is left on when in Store.

Just depends on who was working the line that day sometimes.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I keep my unit plugged in all the time, just make sure like others have said to check the batteries water levels.

As for the ultrasonic pest thing. I purchased four of the units have one plugged in the bedroom, outside kitchen, under table with one extra. I also am a believer in moth balls. I do not know if its the ultrasonic or moth balls but I am and have been pest free. I feel they are worth the money.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Plug it in, and set the switch to "Use"...
Keep your batteries alive!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #8

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Wondering if it is OK to leave my Thor Super-C Chateau connected to shore power during storage. I check the RV weekly and have some concern regarding overcharging the batteries during long term connection to house power. Also, does anyone have any experience or opinion regarding ultrasonic pest devices. A couple of years ago, mice had a family reunion in my RV and did a significant amount of damage. I now use repellents, traps, peppermint and anything else I can get my hands on. Because I can now keep power to the vehicle, I'm considering the ultrasonic plug-in devices. Thanks in advance.
Digger
Hmm, like how much of a battery drain would it have or would it be powered by rechargeable batteries? Made the mistake of putting out some decon under my dishwasher in my house ... And three days later I got to dig him out. Maybe get a couple of boxes with a string handle, the DCON inside and put them under where you park the RV. When you plan to move remember to move the boxes.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Hmm, like how much of a battery drain would it have or would it be powered by rechargeable batteries? Made the mistake of putting out some decon under my dishwasher in my house ... And three days later I got to dig him out. Maybe get a couple of boxes with a string handle, the DCON inside and put them under where you park the RV. When you plan to move remember to move the boxes.
Yeah but I would hate for some cat or dog to get into the DCON unless its in the little plastic box that is designed for mice to enter before they can eat the poison.

I put decon in my strorage building "just in case" but no other animals can get into this space. I also spray for bugs around the storage unit and put out the sticky traps for bugs (and mice). I catch a ton of bug before they can try and enter the RV. Then I place one or two sticky traps inside RV to catch spiders (or even a mouse if they someone get in).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We use peppermint oil on cotton swabs...
Between that, and the dryer sheets: everything smells nice and fresh!

And it has been "critter-free"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We use peppermint oil on cotton swabs...
Between that, and the dryer sheets: everything smells nice and fresh!

And it has been "critter-free"!
I like to use Mocha Capacino's with scons in the yuppie areas. LOL.

But I like they dryer sheets to keep it fresh smelling.

Thanks,
Pat
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #12

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I like to use Mocha Capacino's with scons in the yuppie areas. LOL.

But I like they dryer sheets to keep it fresh smelling.

Thanks,
Pat
Yeah, peppermint oil in cotton balls. Used that one time in the attic of my house. Somebody else, not knowing went up there and asked about that smell. Had to give him some peppermint cause too cause, well he got the munchies then.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #13

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChateau33SW View Post
You can keep it plugged in. Just be sure to check the battery water level every few weeks. Our MHs have "smart" chargers that should reduce the charge based on the battery condition. The other option is to keep the batteries disconnected with the Use/Store switch. You will have power to the outlets and will have 12V power off the converter, but no charge going to the batteries. Just a thought.
Hmm, 'Shore power', Remember long ago when I was wasting my youth & the ship I was on was connected to 'Shore power'. More than once heard the box saying, "stand by, we are switching to ships power" And more than once it was followed by total darkness for a couple of hours. Once was 4 days.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #12227
I have used the ultrasonic repellants in my garage for 6 years and never had a rodent. Do they work … well I guess I don't really know. Its kind of like getting a flu shot. If you don't get the flu does that mean the shot worked? I also use irish spring soap.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #15

State: Montana
THOR #4727
A couple of barn cats does wonders for rodents. Doesn’t help a bit with the battery problem however 😂
Old 11-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Typically Thor leaves the keep-alive wire for the radio hooked up to the house battery even when in "Store". Also, in some cases, the propane detector is left on when in Store.

Just depends on who was working the line that day sometimes.

This is the set up on my 2018 Axis 24.1
Old 11-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #17

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Hmm, 'Shore power', Remember long ago when I was wasting my youth & the ship I was on was connected to 'Shore power'. More than once heard the box saying, "stand by, we are switching to ships power" And more than once it was followed by total darkness for a couple of hours. Once was 4 days.
Come ta think of it, know somebody that instead of going on the ship and plugging in for shore power and watching the same thing happen (cause even though all ships should be the same, they aren't), he just tapes which cable wire goes to which wire and makes sure they understand completely, then sees what happens when they hit the switch on the pier after the hook up. 2 out of 3 times it works alright.