Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
Shore power and engine running

I had a Thor Class C for many years and when I put the slides out I usually just did it with shore power or the generator on.

Just got a new Thor Miramar 2020 35.2 and putting out the slides requires that I keep the engine running. The slide controls will remain locked on the panel until the engine is started.

My question is - is it safe to leave the shore power plugged in and then turn on the engine so that the slides unlock? Or should I unplug the shore power, then start the engine and then extend/retract the slides?

Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
I had a Thor Class C for many years and when I put the slides out I usually just did it with shore power or the generator on.

Just got a new Thor Miramar 2020 35.2 and putting out the slides requires that I keep the engine running. The slide controls will remain locked on the panel until the engine is started.

My question is - is it safe to leave the shore power plugged in and then turn on the engine so that the slides unlock? Or should I unplug the shore power, then start the engine and then extend/retract the slides?
just leave it plugged in. No problem.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

THOR #17864
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 02-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
your ENGINE running will have no effect on whether you have Shore Power, or the Generator is running - these are completely separate systems. You can even run your generator while traveling down the road, and you can run your engine while plugged into shore power, etc.

if you have a built-in Automatic Transfer Switch, and I assume you do, it will automatically switch between Shore Power and the Generator's power, after 20-30 seconds of the generator running, EVEN if you are plugged into Shore Power, and EVEN if the Engine is also running - but that's also it's job, and it chooses 'Generator power' over Shore power when there are two active power sources.

Regardless, you may hear the 'thump' of the ATS switching over after the generator is running, which is normal, just like you may hear that 'thump' when you first plug into Shore Power. The ATS is a 'box' where these wires all come together, with magnetized 'switches' to connect the various power sources.

Most Class A coaches today are built with ATS wiring, and you no longer have to be concerned about 'when' and 'what' you are using, power wise. Some older models from years ago required you to get out, go around to your shore cord, and plug your cord into a special outlet, when you needed to run the generator, since ATS switches weren't as commonplace then.

I also imagine that you can try something that may also work without having to actually have the engine RUNNING - try simply turning the ignition key to the 'ON' position, rather than fully cranking it - the slides may then be active even without the engine running.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
You can indeed start your coach, while plugged into shore power, should hurt nothing. I do find it interesting that your slides are wired, so your ignition must be on. Any I have ever had were opposite, and would not activate slides unless the ignition was off.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #6

THOR #17864
Yes, I have had two Class Cs before this Class A and you could not not move the slides on either if the engine was running. That's why this felt so weird.

But thanks to all for the clarification on how independent the systems are. I was afraid that running the engine would somehow conflict with the shore line power feed.

And I will try just turning the ignition switch on.

Thanks again!
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 02-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #7

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
My tuscany is the same way engine has to be running and lippert system turned on and level before I get a green light that allows the slides to work.