Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini M-23TR
State: Colorado
THOR #23913
Trailer Plug Is Dead

Hello, I have a 2017 Gemini 23TR on the Ford Transit Chassis. The motorhome is new to me, and when I hooked up my Toad, I do not have any lights from the trailer connector. I have tried to check fuses, but could not find anything wrong.
My Question is Do I take it to a Ford Dealer, Or to a Thor Dealer to diagnose?
I think that there is some kind of converter for European tail lights to American taillights, but have not had any luck finding any fix. I am open to any ideas.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Is it a 4-pin or a 7-pin connector?

The 7-pin connectors are all pretty standard. There is a wiring harness plugged into the back of it.

Did you try using a meter to see if you get voltage at the pins in the receptacle?

If not, I would crawl under and make sure the wiring harnss is plugged in. If it is, I would disconnect it and check for corrosion, broken pins, etc. If nothing obvisous I would get out the meter and check the pins at the wiring harness.

The receptacle is universal and if it is bad you can get one like this from Amazon. Auto parts stores also sell exact replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/55415-Replace...967435&sr=8-35

If you can't find the issue, it would be Ford or an auto repair shop.... not Thor.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

THOR #23913
Thanks

It is a 7 pin connector. There is no corrosion, and the wires are all connected. I get no voltage with a meter or test light. I suspect the conversion adaptor, but I can not locate it
Old 07-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
you can get a tester for 15 bucks online or auto store.

search this on amazon

Vehicle Trailer Wiring 7-Way Circuit Tester - 6 Function LED Indicators
Old 07-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomytee53 View Post
It is a 7 pin connector. There is no corrosion, and the wires are all connected. I get no voltage with a meter or test light. I suspect the conversion adaptor, but I can not locate it
What "conversion adapter"?

The 7 Pin (and 4 Pin) are wired directly into the factory wiring through fuses generally under the hood on a Ford. No adapter is needed when the manufacturer wires the adapter in a standard configuration.

Now if you bought a car that wasn't wired for towing and the car had separate turn and brake lights, and you wanted to add a towing plug-in, you would need an adapter to convert the separate turn/brake lights into a combo turn/brake light which most trailers use.

Have you checked your towing fuses?

On a Transit not only are there fuses, but relays as well. Here's a link that might help you with your troubleshooting if so inclined:

https://fuse-box.info/ford/ford-tran...uses-and-relay
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:49 PM   #6

THOR #23913
Thumbs up Thanks for the link!

This will give me something more to check. The harness appears to be directly from Ford!
Old 07-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
The answer to your question about taking it to Thor or Ford.
If you can’t trouble shoot it yourself, any good local mechanic should be able to repair it. A RV is no different than a Ford pickup on trailer wiring.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #8

THOR #23913
Gotta Go to Ford

Well I have checked all of the fuses and connections! I can not check the relays, so I think I will be making an appointment at Ford. I will post the fix if it ever is repaired.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #9

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I had this issue a few times in the past on different coaches. You know what I learned? I learned it's much simpler and faster to drive coach & trailer to a local trailer dealer and they will have you lighted and down the road in 30 minutes. They know everything there is to know about trailering and the vehicles that pull them. Skip the guessing where to take it game and get it done quick and easy at a trailer place.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Is it a 4-pin or a 7-pin connector?

The 7-pin connectors are all pretty standard. There is a wiring harness plugged into the back of it.

Did you try using a meter to see if you get voltage at the pins in the receptacle?

If not, I would crawl under and make sure the wiring harnss is plugged in. If it is, I would disconnect it and check for corrosion, broken pins, etc. If nothing obvisous I would get out the meter and check the pins at the wiring harness.

The receptacle is universal and if it is bad you can get one like this from Amazon. Auto parts stores also sell exact replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/55415-Replace...967435&sr=8-35

If you can't find the issue, it would be Ford or an auto repair shop.... not Thor.
A u haul store can fix
Old 08-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #18738
This is what I did with my 2019 Ford f-150, This may work for you because its a Ford. My local ford dealer didn't even know about this so I hope it works on your Ford. Two dealers wanted to run a hot wire from my battery but this sequence enables the 12v hot to your pigtail. Hope it works for you

https://youtu.be/i_DlxAgAaQ4
Old 08-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #12

THOR #23913
Smile Trailer Lights now Working

I needed to go to Ford Dealer after all! It seems that Ford had a recall on the trailer Module, which is located in the drivers footwell. The footwell would collect water, and cause corrosion on the connectors of the trailer Module. Part of the recall was to disable the trailer modue on vehicles that did not need the trailer connector. They drilled a drain hole in the footwell, added an inline fuse, and replaced fuses F19,F12,F43,and F45. The number of the recall is 17S34.
Thanks to everyone for the tips.