Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2020, 12:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Florida
THOR #14871
Cigarette lighter socket

Howdy all, on my 2017 Four Winds 26B, Ford E-450 there are 2 lighter sockets on the dash. The one closer to the passenger side is inoperative while the one closer to center works fine. From what I am seeing in the Ford manual there is one 20A fuse for cigarette lighter sockets, #72. Is there another that is not documented or am I looking at a broken or never connected wiring problem? We are currently crossing the US and have limited tools to effect repairs.

Thanks, Phil

Old 03-31-2020, 04:12 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
I just looked at mine cigarette lighters. They are wired together to a single line to the harness. If you can get to the lighter it may just be a loose wire.
If you have a test light or volt ohm meter you can test for power

I have F 53 chassis, the F 450 may be different since it's van conversion so I'm no help.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #3

THOR #14871
I will check it out with a meter as soon as I have a chance. Not of earth shattering importance, just annoying. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 34E
THOR #13360
A quick work around would be to pick up a cigarette lighter Y it would double the useable outlets
Old 03-31-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
Howdy all, on my 2017 Four Winds 26B, Ford E-450 there are 2 lighter sockets on the dash. The one closer to the passenger side is inoperative while the one closer to center works fine. From what I am seeing in the Ford manual there is one 20A fuse for cigarette lighter sockets, #72. Is there another that is not documented or am I looking at a broken or never connected wiring problem? We are currently crossing the US and have limited tools to effect repairs.

Thanks, Phil
Try this
Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 AM   #6

THOR #14871
Two states to go and I will be parked long enough to figure this little problem out. Oregon tomorrow and finally Washington the day after.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H and one of my two didn't work from day 1. The dealer tried to tell me they used the wiring for it for another circuit and that is why it didn't work.

I didn't buy it. I ended up pulling that panel off the dash and sure enough the plug for the wire harness was off the connector for that 12V outlet.

They are on the same circuit so if one works and the other doesn't it would not be the fuse. Easiest way to get at it if I recall was to pull the dog house.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
I just put up a similar question yesterday. My socket #72 is empty so it must be wired elsewhere. My only other option may be to start pulling and checking all the 20a fuses until I find the culprit.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post

Thanks, Phil
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m. My power socket closest to me quit but it was because I had hit the wire and pulled it off of the back of the socket. If everything is hooked up you may need to find the fuse block where the fuses are for the right and left sockets. I also blew a 20 amp fuse in the engine compartment. It was a big sucker. IF the wire is unhooked, remove the battery connections first or you will blow a fuse when the wire contacts the tab of the socket!!! Good Luck; Bob
Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL787 View Post
I just put up a similar question yesterday. My socket #72 is empty so it must be wired elsewhere. My only other option may be to start pulling and checking all the 20a fuses until I find the culprit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref=...363071-6401866

The thing in the link was news to me. I found out about it while looking in Amazon when my led headlight ringthing went out.

So

No need to actually pull a fuse. I guess for some time there's been test holes on fuses.

I also missed when they changed 110v plugs to big prong little prong and when am radio died.

It looks like I paid 16 bucks for mine in September and they're now down to 8 bucks.
And
There are 12v circuit breakers that fit in the fuse slots so you don't have to replace the same fuse twice.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Thanks, Duck. That sounds like a great fix. I checked the link but it came up empty (if you could reload it).

Minimal USB's available so I also plan to expand the slots to power all the contraptions.
I just bought this but I need to find suitable electric source to tap from.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My links to Amazon don't work for some reason.
It's a 12v fuse tester which checks all three fuse sizes through holes in the top of the fuse so that the fuse needn't be pulled to test it.

You'll likely find them by searching 12v fuse tester.

I tapped the existing 12v outlet in the dash.
There's 12v next to the control panel for the generator and tank level lights also.
And
The retractable power tower I installed has USB ports. Info is in my link.

It's easy to tap under the dash and run 12g wire to the passenger side or driver's side.
I'm about to run it up to the top of the instruments so I can plug in my phone/maps using a short cord.

And
I'm prefer to use 12v receptacles so as technology changes, like the USB c to USB a changes, I can keep up easily.

And the previous owner of my 24.1 gave me a very cool, pretty big, USB powered fan that clips onto whatever you need. We don't use it but tots of people like dash fans.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote