Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
30a shore power and generator same time

Question if hooked up to shore power and I want to test the generator will this cause any issues?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
It shouldn't. The generator has priority over the shorepower.

Of course if your transfer switch is mis-wired then it could cause an issue but when properly setup the generator has priority.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
X 2...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thx generator showed fault ..but restarted and all works. Cleared fault
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Thx generator showed fault ..but restarted and all works. Cleared fault
Old 07-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #18052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It shouldn't. The generator has priority over the shorepower.

Of course if your transfer switch is mis-wired then it could cause an issue but when properly setup the generator has priority.
Funny this is brought up. My 2003 Hurricane, I tried to start my gennie yesterday while on shore power and all it did was make my generator buzz and wouldn’t turn over. Might have to do some checking.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:55 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How old are your batteries?
Old 07-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #8

THOR #18052
My batteries are 1.5 yrs. and always kept topped off. I’m assuming the generator uses the house batteries that is..
Old 07-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yes; it does.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
It isn't required however I shut off my heavier electrical loads before starting the generator and then turn them back on

The transfer switch certainly (transfers) works under load but given the amount that fail I simply avoid that
Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
After having our transfer switch arc and melt wirenuts right from the factory, I have always tried to remove shore power before staring the generator. I know you "shouldnt" have to, however, an ounce of prevention...
Old 07-07-2021, 02:57 AM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
After having our transfer switch arc and melt wirenuts right from the factory, I have always tried to remove shore power before staring the generator. I know you "shouldnt" have to, however, an ounce of prevention...
SP has no bearing on the "melt wirenuts" issue. It's simply poor workmanship on installation.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:43 AM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We always start up the generator while on shore power when I know we will be using the air conditioning and power on the road. Get the generator going everything runs off of that so I don’t have to turn everything off when I unplug. Haven’t had any issues knock on wood.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #14

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Everyone who owns an RV should once a year disconnect all the power and remove the cover on the transfer switch and the AC distribution panel and check the tightness of all the screws on the circuit breakers and relays. They tend to get loose with time and all the temperature fluctuations and bouncing around on the road. Once the connection deteriorates it starts to overheat at high current levels which causes a further increase in the resistance and it over heats even more and this effect continues until the contact fails and sometimes a fire can start. Many a transfer switch has failed because the contacts were loose.

As far as starting the generator with the shore power connected, a properly working transfer switch will disconnect the shore power relay before engaging the generator relay. There is a small circuit board inside the transfer switch that is connected to both the shore power side and the generator side and has small relays that control the large relays. The transfer switch defaults to the shore power side but will transfer the power source to the generator when it is present.

Where we get into trouble when starting the generator with the shore power on is if the air conditioners are running with the compressors on at the time of the transfer. When the shore power relay is disengaged while the compressor is on you can get arching at the relay contacts because you are disrupting the current to an inductive load. The inductance of the motor will try to keep the current flowing by increasing the voltage between the contacts thus causing the arc and burned contacts. Once you do this a few times you have a bad relay. I would make it a habit to turn off the shore power before starting the generator just to be on the safe side.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
There are certainly lots of posts on the forum about failed transfer switches. Why temp fate by not turning off shore power?

All you'd have to do is be sure the AC is off, refrigerator off (AC), water heater off (AC) then start the generator.

I just think having shore power on and also running the generator is just asking for trouble.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
There are certainly lots of posts on the forum about failed transfer switches. Why temp fate by not turning off shore power?

All you'd have to do is be sure the AC is off, refrigerator off (AC), water heater off (AC) then start the generator.

I just think having shore power on and also running the generator is just asking for trouble.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1625670025
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	31902  
Old 07-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post

The posts about "failed transfer switches" are more about the connection wiring rather than the transfer switch itself failing. And when the transfer switch itself fails the mechanism is either:
The control board failed so it doesn't switch to generator when the generator is running, or
Contacts are burnt so no connection is made.

There are zero cases of the transfer switch connecting the generator and SP at the same time.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #18

THOR #24089
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Everyone who owns an RV should once a year disconnect all the power and remove the cover on the transfer switch and the AC distribution panel and check the tightness of all the screws on the circuit breakers and relays. They tend to get loose with time and all the temperature fluctuations and bouncing around on the road. Once the connection deteriorates it starts to overheat at high current levels which causes a further increase in the resistance and it over heats even more and this effect continues until the contact fails and sometimes a fire can start. Many a transfer switch has failed because the contacts were loose.

As far as starting the generator with the shore power connected, a properly working transfer switch will disconnect the shore power relay before engaging the generator relay. There is a small circuit board inside the transfer switch that is connected to both the shore power side and the generator side and has small relays that control the large relays. The transfer switch defaults to the shore power side but will transfer the power source to the generator when it is present.

Where we get into trouble when starting the generator with the shore power on is if the air conditioners are running with the compressors on at the time of the transfer. When the shore power relay is disengaged while the compressor is on you can get arching at the relay contacts because you are disrupting the current to an inductive load. The inductance of the motor will try to keep the current flowing by increasing the voltage between the contacts thus causing the arc and burned contacts. Once you do this a few times you have a bad relay. I would make it a habit to turn off the shore power before starting the generator just to be on the safe side.
Good stuff...
Old 07-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post

Is there a typical place to look to find the transfer switch? My owner's manual does not provide that info.

Thanks, Dan
Old 07-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #20

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
Is there a typical place to look to find the transfer switch? My owner's manual does not provide that info.

Thanks, Dan
Dan,

It is usually as near as practical where the shore power cord enters the RV. I see you have a Four Winds which could mean it is under the bed or near a compartment where the shore power enters the coach. On our Quantum the transfer switch is accessible by removing a panel in the compartment near where the shore power connection is. In the attached photo you can see the transfer switch. The module in the upper left corner is the slide controller and the box at the bottom is just a junction box.
I just noticed the photo somehow got rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. In that case the slide controller is the module in the lower left corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210705_080440.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	31916  
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote