Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2020, 11:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano 24RW
State: California
THOR #20579
Newbie Solar house battery question

Sorry for the newbie question. I’m wondering if anyone else plugs their rv into their house power while parked in their driveway, if they have solar? Or can I be typically assured the 100w solar panel will be enough to trickle charge the house battery so that I do not need to worry about plugging into house power. I have nothing powered on in the RV but I assume there is probably some draw from radio led, etc. Thoughts? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 09-29-2020, 12:23 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Jeff
Welcome to the forum. I have a 100 watt solar system to help keep the two coach batteries charged up. I have to store my mh away from the house, but a day or two before going on a trip, I bring it home and plug it into my house current to cool down the refrigerator and add additional charging to the system. I use a dog bone adapter to plug it into the house outlet.

Paul
Old 09-29-2020, 01:05 AM   #3

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #20579
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Jeff
Welcome to the forum. I have a 100 watt solar system to help keep the two coach batteries charged up. I have to store my mh away from the house, but a day or two before going on a trip, I bring it home and plug it into my house current to cool down the refrigerator and add additional charging to the system. I use a dog bone adapter to plug it into the house outlet.

Paul
Thank you for the feedback. Really appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:40 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDelanoRw View Post
Sorry for the newbie question. I’m wondering if anyone else plugs their rv into their house power while parked in their driveway, if they have solar? Or can I be typically assured the 100w solar panel will be enough to trickle charge the house battery so that I do not need to worry about plugging into house power. I have nothing powered on in the RV but I assume there is probably some draw from radio led, etc. Thoughts? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
This thread may help some. Pose questions if not clear. The limitation is your charge controller when plugged into shore power.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...ler-23458.html
Old 09-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
A 100 watt solar panel should provide plenty of power to overcome resting parasitic loads and keep your house battery well charged. Be sure to turn off the use/store disconnect switch.

David