Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #2162
Shower leak ACE 30.1

It appears I have a minor leak in the shower. I thought it might just be overspray from around the curtain, but it seems to be coming from beneath the pan. I cannot check the drain because the pet food drawer is boxed in as well as the drawer beneath the fridge.... Has anyone any ideas short of breaking out my Sawzall?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

THOR #1249
FWIW, I had a shower pan leak in another RV that I could not find until I plugged the drain. Using a mirror, found a hairline crack(very slow drip) in pan bottom that was not readily visible from topside until load was applied(person standing in pan). It then opened up with a vengeance. Fixed it with Eternabond tape.
I'm not familiar with the Ace, but hopefully there is a panel or a way to a access the drain and bottom of pan without the using the Sawzall.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:56 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
We have an A.C.E. 30.1 and found that the caulking around the frame for the shower curtain thingy was poorly done. Ran a new bead of caulking from about mid-way down the side, across the bottom, and up the other side on both the inside and outside of the frame, and have had no problems since.

You might try that first, just to make sure that's the problem before trying to get under the bottom of the shower.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not sure about your layout but on my Challenger the shower drain is accessed from a storage compartment below the shower. On the ceiling of the storage compartment there is a small (about 6 x 6) plate that is unscrewed to access the drain. This access plate is shown on the waste water diagram for my coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:53 AM   #5

THOR #2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
We have an A.C.E. 30.1 and found that the caulking around the frame for the shower curtain thingy was poorly done. Ran a new bead of caulking from about mid-way down the side, across the bottom, and up the other side on both the inside and outside of the frame, and have had no problems since.

You might try that first, just to make sure that's the problem before trying to get under the bottom of the shower.
Yes, i noticed that too, the inside edge is caulked but it seems some water leaks around the caulk at the ends of the track where the wall panels meet the pan, I will recaulk those areas. My concern is that I get some seepage on the floor from underneath the pan. Its a fairly small amt, I just dont want it to deteriorate the wood... will work on that tomorrow
ipagan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:11 AM   #6

THOR #2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Not sure about your layout but on my Challenger the shower drain is accessed from a storage compartment below the shower. On the ceiling of the storage compartment there is a small (about 6 x 6) plate that is unscrewed to access the drain. This access plate is shown on the waste water diagram for my coach.
Thanks, I did not notice a hatch but i will look seriously tomorrow. It looks as if there may be one on the diagram I have also.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #7

THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipagan54 View Post
Thanks, I did not notice a hatch but i will look seriously tomorrow. It looks as if there may be one on the diagram I have also.
If you find one, let me know. That's handy information to have.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
A picture?

Shower leaks can happen due to the drain not being properly installed with plumbers putty, a crack in the shower pan, leaks from the shower door or curtain installation, leaks from the panels, and leaks from the incoming water piping.

It's kind of amazing that they simply don't leak all of the time!

My Hurricane 34e has an intermittent leak that only occurs when my teenage son uses the shower. He directs all of the water directly onto the glass shower door.

The aluminum door frame was not sealed at installation, (corners of the frame), and will leak water if it's directed to it in a certain way that my son has apparently figured out!

Everyone else in my family directs the shower water to the panels, and we do not experience the little puddle that forms on the floor after my son has showered.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #9

THOR #2162
I did find an access hatch, not in a bay, but above the wheels. I poured a 5 gal bucket of water into the pan but no leak noted. It must be either minor leak at the track or at the drain when someone stands in the shower. My next plan is to reset the drain with more plumbers putty, and caulk the pan and track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1064   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV2.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1065  

Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #1052
I had the same concern with my 30.1. I could have sworn that the pan was leaking. I looked close after showering and realized a small amount of water was creeping out of the shower around the curtain screen and draining to the floor. As others suggested I layed a line of clear bathroom sealant around the frame and all points where the walls attach to the pan...problem solved. However it didnt take long for the plywood front door to become warped which required replacement on my last shakedown bumper/bumper warranty repair

D
Old 11-17-2015, 05:37 AM   #11

THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain65 View Post
However it didnt take long for the plywood front door to become warped which required replacement on my last shakedown bumper/bumper warranty repairD
Which door warped? From the leak around the shower? I'm confused ...
Old 11-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #12

THOR #1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
Which door warped? From the leak around the shower? I'm confused ...
Sorry, I was referring to the pet dish drawer not door. The material behind the front drawer cover is 1/4" plywood and warped after getting wet a few times.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #13

THOR #3261
I had a leak there at the HEPVO fitting. I could barely touch it and I didn't want to remove the tires, so I tried some JB Weld Waterweld epoxy putty. Encapsulated the leaking joint using 4 tubes. Amazing stuff IMO. Sticks great and hardens like a rock. I think I will find a number of ways to use this product in the future. For Instance, I'm going to use it to reinforce the back side of a plastic slide out corner that I cracked with my hard head.

That reminds me, I need to make a square piece of styrofoam to put in that cutout above the removable panel for insulation.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:32 AM   #14

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I don't think the walls of the shower are supposed to be calked to the pan. Being uncalked allows condensation to drip into the pan and for air to circulate. If it isn't supposed to be calked and you do so say hello to mold and dry rot.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #15

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I don't think the walls of the shower are supposed to be calked to the pan. Being uncalked allows condensation to drip into the pan and for air to circulate. If it isn't supposed to be calked and you do so say hello to mold and dry rot.
Good point. Another thought was that maybe the pan needed to be free of the shower walls to permit movement. Although, it should have some kind of sliding soft seal around the lip or either the pan lip should be high enough so that water could not splash up or migrate over the lip.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #19477
Hi, I have what I would call a good sized leak in my shower pan when I stand in it. I also have standing water in the pan.... not much, about 1/2 gal maybe. To see what was happening I poured a cup of hot water in this morning and stood in the pan. It really leaked until I stepped out. So, I have 3 questions, why would I have standing water when my grey water tank is open to a drain in this RV park, why would it seem like my grey water tank is constantly full. and why is the pan leaking? I do have an access port on the side of the shower pan. I will open that this morning. Thanks, please help.