Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Silicon Valley RV Repair

I bought my unit in Grass Valley. When I called the local dealer in Morgan Hill, they told me that they would not do warranty work because I had not bought the unit from them. {Understand, I offered to buy it from them. But they were $13K more expensive and wouldn't budge on the price}.

So now my brake warning light is on. Can I go to a Ford Truck repair shop?

Old 09-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I bought my unit in Grass Valley. When I called the local dealer in Morgan Hill, they told me that they would not do warranty work because I had not bought the unit from them. {Understand, I offered to buy it from them. But they were $13K more expensive and wouldn't budge on the price}.

So now my brake warning light is on. Can I go to a Ford Truck repair shop?
Unfortunately you came across an issue many folks face and that is trying to get warranty service from someone other than the dealer that sold you the coach.

As for Brakes, they should be warranted by Ford and a Ford dealer should take care of you. You might want to call them and verify before taking your coach in.

If you call Ford Motorhome Roadside assistance (800-444-3311), they may be able to give you the number of the closest dealer that can handle your coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
I ran into the same issue when we had our Jayco fifth wheel. Since we did not purchase it from a local dealer, they would not do any warranty work. I called and complained to Jayco, based on the fact that they advertised 500 Jayco dealers. Whats the point in having them if only the selling dealer will work on the unit. Eventually, the dealer agreed to do the warranty work.

Good luck, sometimes a call to the manufacturer can work wonders

Fred
Old 09-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
An explanation that the unit is only under warranty for about a year and that you will need someone to service it after the warranty should mean something. Tell them that whatever dealer you find now will take care of your unit after the warranty.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Personally, FWIW, I would get the name of the individual that made that statement and then post the info on rvservicereviews.com. I would include they are a Thor dealer refusing to perform warranty work on a Thor product and that the issue could be safety related.

Again that is me and FWIW.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

THOR #2366
It should be a mandatory requirement that if you sell a product, you also service it regardless of where it is purchased. What happens if you are on a trip and have a breakdown? Are they still going to refuse to service it? One dealership told me the way they get around it is to service any unit, regardless of where it was purchased. They have 2 types of appts, the first, may be 6 to 8 weeks for a standard(did not purchase here) appt as opposed to a an elite appt (purchased at this dealership) which is 2 weeks.

Thor and the other manufacturers should step up and standardize warranty work, insuring that all dealers, regardless of where it is purchased, will provide warranty service.

Fred
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

THOR #2271
Wish it were so. But I got a call from the formentioned Silicon Valley Thor Dealer in Gilroy. The Service Manager basically told me, "too bad". I was mistakenly under the opinion when I purchased my RV, that, like an automobile, any service dealer could be used. The Service Manager told me that the selling dealer gets more paid back from the factory than a non-selling dealer. I'm not sure if my BS meter is pegged. But if that is true, complaining to Thor would do no good.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
The warranty states you can get service at any "authorized warranty service center" It also states that if you need assistance to contact the warranty department at 877-855-2867.

With that said, either that dealer is not an authorized warranty service center, or they are failing to provide warranty service per the terms of Thor's warranty.

Either way it may be worth a call or email message to Thor.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

THOR #2366
I agree with Dave. I have never heard anything about a selling dealer getting paid more than a non-selling dealer. To the best of my knowledge, there is a rate for warranty work plus a time chart that the manufacturer uses. I would also consider writing in to Motorhome magazine. Negative publicity can be a powerful force.

Fred
Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

Model: 2012 Daybreak 28PD
State: California
THOR #556
I live in Palo Alto. I recommend using Leales Fleet & RV Center in San Jose. They are at 2070 S. 7th St. It's near the Santa Clara County Fairground. Visit their website. Phone 408-286-5353.They are an authorized warranty repair shop for Thor. My Ford chassis repairs were completed by a local Ford dealer.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #11

THOR #2271
Thanks Kenneth. I used RV Service Reviews and discovered Leales. For the Ford Truck dealer, I chose Mission Valley Ford.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #12

THOR #2271
I am still flabergasted by the lack of dealer service. I was at the California RV Show in Pomona last weekend and there was a Thor Rep there. She even admitted that unlike auto dealers, RV dealers are not obliged to fix an RV that they did not sell.

I don't think I would have changed my mind about where I bought my RV (the local dealer, See Grinns, was $13K more expensive and wouldn't budge). But I think we should all do three things
1) Inform buyers who find their way to this forum that there is an issue.
2) Start a petition to Thor to change this practice.
3) Contact the NHTSA and see if they can do something about this.