Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Simple Question to a Complex Problem

All,

After getting home from the Labor Day Camping trip, I hooked up the RV to 30 AMP Shore Power from the house and NOTHING. The surge protector shows good clean power out of the house. All RV systems work with the generator on, but nothing when on Shore Power. I have flipped all the switches in the fuse box...no help.
I researched on this forum, found multiple discussions (most way over my head) I reviewed Ed's manual and found the hidden "Switch/Relay/Blackbox" under the passenger side bed at the rear of the Vegas 24.1.
My simple question is there an ON/OFF Reset switch for the incoming 30 AMP shore power? Or is it time to call in the techs for a rebuild of the "Switch/Relay/Blackbox"?

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
All,

After getting home from the Labor Day Camping trip, I hooked up the RV to 30 AMP Shore Power from the house and NOTHING. The surge protector shows good clean power out of the house. All RV systems work with the generator on, but nothing when on Shore Power. I have flipped all the switches in the fuse box...no help.
I researched on this forum, found multiple discussions (most way over my head) I reviewed Ed's manual and found the hidden "Switch/Relay/Blackbox" under the passenger side bed at the rear of the Vegas 24.1.
My simple question is there an ON/OFF Reset switch for the incoming 30 AMP shore power? Or is it time to call in the techs for a rebuild of the "Switch/Relay/Blackbox"?

DocMike
Normally the loss of shore power is due to a bad shore line plug, if the generator will supply power. Take a voltmeter and check there is power to the pedestal or house plug. Next check there is power to the coach end of the shoreline. If there is power to that part of entrance power, then the next thing inline is the ATS if you do not have a EMS installed. The connections to the ATS can vibrate loose if not property torqued.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
The Automatic Transfer Switch is probably what Ed's referring to and what you may have found. Pretty clever device. It senses which 110v power source is live and engages that one to the distribution breaker panel. I believe this link below is for the one in my 2018 25.4. The front cover is held by 4 prongs that are a PITA but doable. Inside is the coach side of your shore power that Beau mentioned. Because it's installed in a cramped compartment you need to exercise appropriate caution when testing for voltage, but, again, doable.

You might try to call them to help troubleshoot your issue:
Progressive Dynamics, Inc.
507 Industrial Road
Marshall, MI 49068 USA
Ph: (269) 781-4241

Install manual

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...8A-English.pdf
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

THOR #2142
Guys,

Thanks. I did check and there is power coming out of the 30 AMP shore post at home. But, I not check the power cord itself...will to later. Sure would be nice if that is the problem.

DocMike

Old 09-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
In the past some of the members had burnt wire caps in transfer switch box, located under passenger side bed to the right of fresh water tank.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #6

THOR #4735
at some point, most everyone will experience some type of loss of power, many times due to the loosening of wires from the factory connections - while they are 'tightened' at the factory at installation, the factory is putting the coach through it's 'paces' as we owners do once we get it on the road for some time.
The wires, when used, are heating up, so it stands to reason that there could be some movement due to this 'expansion/contraction' of the wires, over time.
When it happens within the ATS(auto transfer switch) box, it's even more confusing because this 'box' is not as apparent in many coaches due to it's placement, and relatively obscure notoriety.

I would check several places, the ATS first of course, but also each and every BREAKER within your MAIN PANEL. These breaker wires have the same issues.

If those are no help, then the Shore Power cord 'could' have a loose connection.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #7

THOR #2142
Oh I found the box and was able to put my hands on it...as long as I "sucked it in and held my breath" in the process. I have no problem working on the water aspects of this RV, or the woodworking, painting, repairing, patching or even sewer, but I have a healthy respect for electricity! So if the shore cable is good and its now time to tinker with the electrical connections...I'm farming this repair out. To paraphrase Bones (Original Star Trek) "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not an electrician".

DocMike

Old 09-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We actually have the "blue led" on the cover of the shore power plug on our 2016 VEGAS to show we have power at the coach end of the shore cord...

We were also victims of "loose wires" in the AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH two weeks after we bought the coach. That was actually what got me over my fear of the great unknown about the RV, and got me to try my DIY hands instead of waiting for the RV dealer.

But then I deal with wiring on a daily basis...
Old 09-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you can get to the output from the ATS: check for power with the generator on, and the shorepower unplugged; then shut down the generator, and plug back in... see what sort of reading that gives you...

My inexpert guess is that it's not "automatically transferring" anything!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #10

THOR #2142
MoMike,

I completely forgot about the blue LED light. Our Furrion cord has that same little option and I just went out, plugged it in and NO LED light! I have to get my meter back and check out the shore power plug!
As a "Not an electrician" could I not just connect one of the hot leads and the ground to a light and see if it comes on or not?

DocMike

Old 09-02-2019, 11:36 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Simple Question to a Complex Problem

Quote:
MoMike,

I completely forgot about the blue LED light. Our Furrion cord has that same little option and I just went out, plugged it in and NO LED light! I have to get my meter back and check out the shore power plug!
As a "Not an electrician" could I not just connect one of the hot leads and the ground to a light and see if it comes on or not?

DocMike

On your Axis, a 30A rig, your cord has one hot, one neutral, and one ground wire. You can use a meter or wires to a light bulb across hot and neutral - the two flat blades at plug end - to see if it has power. Should read in the 110-120v range. The LED being out is a hint though... is that part of the cord itself or the socket?
Hot to ground will also read 110v with meter... but a load across that combination is the definition of a ‘ground fault’ and will trip any upstream GFCI’s if present.
Neutral to ground should read 0v.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The LED on our shore power plug stopped working ages ago.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:28 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The LED on our shore power plug stopped working ages ago.
Mine only works when it wants to. A great idea but not a reliable indication of power on my rig. Just one of many reasons I have a permanently installed AC volt/ammeter in my rig.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:02 AM   #14

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
If not a Volt Ohm Meter everyone should own a Non-Contact Voltmeter. Safe and stone simple to use. It's kind of a dumb tool, a meter is better for trouble shooting. https://smile.amazon.com/Klein-Tools...%2C216&sr=8-24
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #15

THOR #2142
All,

I got a Volt tester...Nothing thru the cable. Ordered a replacement power line cable, it was delivered today and...we now have power - it was the simplest fix.
Just lucky this time.
Seeing how next to impossible it is is to reach and look into the AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH I am wondering if it would make sense to have it moved and all the nuts/bolts/screws tightened before any of the other possibilities listed above have a chance to occur??
Thanks to all for input, that is why I really appreciate this Forum!

DocMike

Old 09-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
All,

I got a Volt tester...Nothing thru the cable. Ordered a replacement power line cable, it was delivered today and...we now have power - it was the simplest fix.
Just lucky this time.
Seeing how next to impossible it is is to reach and look into the AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH I am wondering if it would make sense to have it moved and all the nuts/bolts/screws tightened before any of the other possibilities listed above have a chance to occur??

DocMike
Having had an electrical fire in my previous class A MH at 2am - I check all the clamps on the entrance wiring when de-winterizing the Hurricane. There are 4 clamps on the shore line connector, 12 at the ATS and 8 at the EMS, and 4 at the powercenter. I don't check the individual circuit breakers, as I have refitted the powercenter with CAFCI breakers. Heat and cooling cycles as well as vibration can loosen the connections over time.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
All,

Just lucky this time.

DocMike
Glad you found the issue and wasn't a "major" repair...

VOLTESTERS are an RVer's best friend
Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 AM   #18

THOR #2142
All,
The quick simple fix opens up next weekend to go to "Byrd's Branch Campground" in Elkin NC. They list hiking distances (under 1.5 miles) to Wineries, a Brewery and a water fall less than .5 miles away.
Looks like I'll be getting my exercise in next weekend without using a treadmill!!
Thanks again to all for their input!!
Safe travels

DocMike

Old 09-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #19

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Guys,

Thanks. I did check and there is power coming out of the 30 AMP shore post at home. But, I not check the power cord itself...will to later. Sure would be nice if that is the problem.

DocMike
ALways start at the begining and work your way back to the end checking everthing one step ata time.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #20

THOR #2142
Update,
We were at Byrd's Branch Campground and talking with one of the other RV'ers about the power cord. His advice was to check the actual plug on the side of the RV. We did and it had a dozen or so cracks in the plastic behind the three leads in the plug.
We called a local RV repair tech, he came over looked at it and agreed it was not suppose to look like that. He removed the plug from the side of the RV and the white wire that was attached to that lead just fell out on the ground...burnt out/off. He cleaned up the wires, tightened the screws as best as possible to get thru the weekend. We checked the ATS (what a headache to get into) and tightened some loose screws. I asked why he did not use lock-tite on the screws, said he was not allowed to.
So, any one know or have any idea why not to put lock-tite on the screws?
I am ordering a new Furrion 30AMP plug in a minute.

DocMike