Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2024, 03:11 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Singing and Washing your RV in the Rain

Something I always wanted to do, and I plan to do today. How about washing the RV in the Rain?

I got lots of thoughts on the pros and cons, but curious to know what others have done. I will circle back with my thoughts, but now I have to get outside and wash my RV BEFORE the rain stops

Note: The below are BEFORE pictures. It may not seem dirty to some of you, but trust me, by my standards it is worse that I have seen short of driving through an area at night with lots of bugs. I use the white glove method to tell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240420_095450.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	45858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240420_095307.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	45859  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:25 PM   #2
It's 'towed', not toad.

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I think I'd enjoy the rain washing.
Ours is washed in small sections with Sam's club window spray cleaner.
It's easier for me.
Favorite bug-remover is below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007...b_b_asin_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LF...b_b_asin_image

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:30 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
That sounds like fun on nice warm day!
Old 04-20-2024, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I wash the golf cart. Blue Beacon washes the motorhome.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:24 PM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
That sounds like fun on nice warm day!
Bingo. I finished and it was a lot more fun than what one might think. It remind me of being a kid, no fear. I will cover the pros and cons in a separate post, but you nailed it. If you read this forum long enough, you will see a guy with forum name "Duckface" He makes one think outside the box. The savvy like to be pushed... as two heads ( I mean faces) are better than one.

In my book, I took the carcass of what otherwise would have been a dead day due to rain, and I got off my butt and planted a seed (brush) and got a flower (a washed & liquid waxed RV)

Point of note, I saw a lot of my neighbors drive by and did not stop to help... you know the same ones that like to come by and say when we gonna go out in the RV. I don't think so

I am a Koldman because I am a Kold-man
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-20-2024, 05:38 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I wash the golf cart. Blue Beacon washes the motorhome.

I am sure the day may come when I no longer mow my own lawn, wash or wax my own cars, RV, boats and motorcycles. Believe it or not, for me; getting the inspections and paying the registrations every year for each is a bigger PITA. It is a complete waste of time, I have NEVER failed an Inspection, but yet I have to go get in line with my insurance papers damn near every 6 weeks on average.

But at the end of the day, in the time it takes for me to find a drive to a Blue Beacon or similar, I could have washed the RV in sunshine or rain. I was explaining to my daughter why it was okay to pay Wal Mart $15 to repair a flat. She was wanting to go to a Discount tire because she knows that I always repair flats at home. I told her to pay the $15 and be advised that I only repair flats at home or go to Discount tire because it saves me time, not to save money. Same thing for those that spend up to 2 hours out a day to get a oil changed that I can do in 15 minutes and never move the RV.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:58 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I think I'd enjoy the rain washing.
Ours is washed in small sections with Sam's club window spray cleaner.
It's easier for me.
Favorite bug-remover is below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007...b_b_asin_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LF...b_b_asin_image
I do sections too.

1. The Roof is ALWAYs first
2. The front of RV
3. Left Driver window front
4. Right Passenger front
5. The rest of Right Passenger Side
6. Left Rear Driver side

Move the RV up 10 ft

7. Left Driver side middle
8. Rear of the RV

Back RV back into it's spot and get Beer

So far I have never bought or needed Bug tar removals or black streak removals. While I do see a lot of bugs on occasion, I just spray with my normal RV Gel Wash & Wax and let soak for a minute or two and just rinse off.

I do occasionally see black streaks but they too wash off. I think it is because of a few reasons in my case. #1 I have fiberglass roof #2 I constantly wash to keep dirt and grime off the top of the roof, and #3 I Wax the RV twice a year. The latter may explain also why the bugs wash off so easily.

I remember one campsite we arrived in one night and the front was covered with bugs. We had no hooks ups ( I rarely get hookups electrical or water unless it cost the same) but the campground had policy of no washing the RVs

After I completed my risk assessment, I hooked up the hose to my outdoor sink, turned on the hot / warm water and misted the entire front of the RV (no soap) I then took a towel and wiped it off. I then saw a Park Ranger drive by in a cart, but he said nothing. I finished up with no issues. I only have 3 products in RV for cleaning ( RV Gel Wash & Wax, Meguiars RV Wax, and 303 Protectant. The latter I am thinking does no better than Armor All.. so I may change.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:38 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Now... give your neighbors a real thrill (or not)... wash that WBGO in your birthday suit!
Old 04-20-2024, 06:58 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Pros and Cons

My observations from washing the RV in the Rain (in no particular order)

Pros

1. It was easier to wash. Because the RV had been saturated hours with rain the the loose dirt was already washed off and the grime basically had overnight to soak. I used a Bucket of water with RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax.
2. Temp was about 50 degrees so it was not hot, no sun and no worries about Wash & Wax drying too soon. No spotting, a true rain fresh finish
3. When applying the protectant on the decals, the wipes stayed moist, during the day, they can dry out and in some cases get too hot based on temperatures if the fiberglass.
4. Less water is required (if any) When the rain picked up I did not need the water hose to rinse.
5. No need to dry the RV
6. I got to use my sweat suit and a bucket cap so I personally did not get wet except for my shoes. I view as a positive as I have invested in rain gear that I never really get to use.
7. It was fun, like being at a water park but not actually getting wet.

Cons

1. It did not rain hard enough, had it been a torrential rain or severe thunderstorm, I would not have needed the water hose at all. It would have gone even faster

Attached are the AFTER Photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240420_132847.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	45861   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240420_104157.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	45862  

Name:	20240420_143032.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	45863  
Old 04-20-2024, 07:05 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Now... give your neighbors a real thrill (or not)... wash that WBGO in your birthday suit!
Oops I forgot to mention that I did have one neighbor drop by to help wash. In fact, I am thinking about washing it again

Old 04-21-2024, 09:35 PM   #11

THOR #13058
2024 - 1st Wax Job of the Year

I hope to inspire somebody.

The weather was perfect for a Wax today.

I am a slow poke when it comes to waxing, but I was able to finish the front of the RV and the complete passenger side ( see picture). I may start on the roof tonight, or maybe tomorrow night after work. I won't be Singing and Waxing in the Rain

I will pull the RV out and park it forward to wax the back and the driver side. No rush.

In the meantime, can I crow on the finish and decals? You can actually see reflections which include my boat. It is like a glass mirror although my goal is not the shine, but the protection of the gel coat, getting ready for the Texas heat. I also need the wax to make it easier to clean.

For those that track such such things, I ran out of the Meguiars Pure RV Wax #56, but had a brand new Meguiars Flagship Marine & RV. The Flagship seems to clean more than the #56. But for sure, the #56 plastic bottles will crack after a year or two. So far every#56 bottle has cracked near the end, so maybe the plastic container for the Flagship is more durable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240421_161042.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	45872   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240421_161257.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	45873  

Old 04-29-2024, 09:22 AM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #31699
I just picked up that Gabe's streak remover, gonna give it a try.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:48 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arveyer View Post
I just picked up that Gabe's streak remover, gonna give it a try.

If it is not too late, a before and after picture would be nice.

Also, how often would you say you see the black streaks develop?

I ask because there may be a trade off on washing the RV's roof at least every other month with a recommended cleaner for rubber roof (mine is fiberglass). That may help to eliminate or make the process take longer for black streaks to occur.

Waxing at least where the black streaking is known to occur will allow you to just wipe it off with a regular RV wash. I use the RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax.

When I washed the RV last week in the rain, it was dirtier than normal. But it was perhaps the easiest wash I have had because the roof had been rain soaked overnight and during the wash. It just brushed off with zero effort, the grime / residue that went over the side was actually being washed off by the rain, giving me more time to finish the entire roof without worry of and residues drying on the sides.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:31 AM   #14

State: Florida
THOR #31699
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
If it is not too late, a before and after picture would be nice.

Also, how often would you say you see the black streaks develop?

I ask because there may be a trade off on washing the RV's roof at least every other month with a recommended cleaner for rubber roof (mine is fiberglass). That may help to eliminate or make the process take longer for black streaks to occur.

Waxing at least where the black streaking is known to occur will allow you to just wipe it off with a regular RV wash. I use the RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax.

When I washed the RV last week in the rain, it was dirtier than normal. But it was perhaps the easiest wash I have had because the roof had been rain soaked overnight and during the wash. It just brushed off with zero effort, the grime / residue that went over the side was actually being washed off by the rain, giving me more time to finish the entire roof without worry of and residues drying on the sides.
I'll let you know, I actually purchased it for a regular wash,. I really don't have much
streaking.