Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass TW
State: Wisconsin
THOR #21076
Sirius radio antenna fault 2021 Compass

We just picked up our new 2021 Thor Compass TW. My SiriusXM Radio will not receive any stations. It shows satellite antenna fault on the display. I noticed a lot of caulking goobered all over the antenna mounted on the front portion of the roof. Has any one had this issue? Could this affect the signal?

Old 02-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
It would not surprise anyone on this forum if your antenna is not even connected to the radio.......seems a factory installation issue sometimes. The bad sealing job should not affect reception unless the antenna cable itself has been damaged or cut passing through metal body components. The bad sealer job could result in water damage down the road, so it should be corrected ASAP under your warranty......if you don't mind waiting a month to get into your Dealer. Where water intrusion is possible, fast repair is a good idea.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:36 PM   #3

THOR #21076
Thanks for the quick response. The antenna is definitely well sealed. I’m not worried about leaking. The sealant covers about 3/4s of the antenna. Should I start at the radio end looking for connection issues or where it is connected to the roof?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I could be wrong, but a thin coating of non metallic sealant on the roof mounted sat antenna module should not block the signal. To be sure you could try to carefully remove enough sealant to retain the seal and clear off most of the module......except going onto the roof can be risky. It "might" be easier to get to the back of the radio to verify if the antenna is even connected to it. I don't know your coach so it may be a PIA for you to do that. There have been other posters on the forum advising that their sat radio antennas are not even connected to the radio from the factory.....and also in some cases can't find the antenna connector/wire in the dash either.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #5

Model: Compass 23TW
State: Colorado
THOR #23751
Satellite antenna fault

I am curious, did you find a solution? Just bought my 2021 Compass and have the exact same issue.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

THOR #23751
If it helps any, when connected to my IPhone and using the XM app, it works fine. So not a Sirius issue.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

THOR #21076
Satellite antenna fault

I traced the antenna as far as I could it seemed to be connected to the antenna on the roof. It was plugged into the back of the radio. Must have been a problem somewhere between the two. I unplugged the antenna from the back of the radio and installed a new antenna. The antenna I used was a magnetic type which was much smaller and hid the cable under the dash and along the right windshield pillar trim panel. Then mounted it above the windshield to the small strip of metal below the fiberglass cap. Problem solved. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #8

THOR #23751
Thanks for quick reply. How did you get to the back of the radio and antenna?
Old 06-12-2021, 08:41 PM   #9

THOR #21076
Look behind and on top of the Sync 3/Nav screen and remove the narrow black plastic cover to expose the 4, 7mm screws that secure the screen. Be careful when removing the cover. It just snaps off. I used a small L shaped probe and slipped it under both corners and carefully unsnapped it . Once the screws are removed pull up on the screen to remove it. You don’t have to disconnect plug on Nav screen just let it hang to one side. You will be able to see the back of the radio head unit. I believe the SiriusXM antenna plug is the second one from the left. Unplug it and that port is where you plug in the new antenna. Make sure your new antenna has the correct plug . Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #10

THOR #23751
Smile Sirius XM Antenna Fault

Thanks so much!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
I tried our XM radio and it would give the error of no antenna. I got the schematics for the roof from THOR and found where the antenna should be, and it looks like it was sheared off. I have pictures of the roof a few days after getting the RV and shows it's not there. The antenna is on order along with a new radio (different issue).

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote