Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: North Carolina
THOR #16478
Slide cover flapping in wind

Hi all -
We have a new Axis 25.6. On windy (even slight wind) nights the slide cover flaps and makes lots of thumping noises. Curious if it’s too loose or normal, and if normal, any suggestions to solve? It made for a long night last night.
Thanks.
Grace

Old 02-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I have tried swim noodles, beach balls, PVC pipe and rope. I never found a good solution
Old 02-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I might review my need for such a device.
A bazillion motorhomes are or were without them.
They're nice, they keep the crud off, I guess they're a weather barrier.

The op says they are not nice and are a weather multiplier.
Take it off, see if you can live without it, enjoy your rv.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #4

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Mine doesn’t make noise at all on axis 25.2 so there must be an adjustment. Call Thor. And let everyone know
Old 02-17-2020, 02:04 AM   #5

THOR #13228
Our 24F has a full length slide with topper. Out 50+ nights camping in all kinds of weather/storms, only once did the wind come up during the night blowing through the topper/slide roof gap, making a loud flapping. Made for a couple hours of sleeplessness. I am guessing the angle and wind were just right to cause the flap. Should it happen again and depending on the time of night, temp outside, how warm the covers are and how much motivation I have (read wife), I plan to toss a rope across the topper end to end to pinch the end openings closed. Will it work ???
Old 02-17-2020, 02:24 AM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The slide toppers have tension springs to keep them taught when open, and to roll them up when you retract the slide. Perhaps that spring is weak or???? We have had slides with toppers for years, and other than in very high winds never really had them bother us. I frankly would not want to not have the toppers, the amount of crud, leaves and junk you will bring inside when you retract the slides will surprise you.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:49 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The topper on my full wall slide makes a little noise every now and then. It is one of many things that make noise in an RV. My ice maker makes noise, so does the converter under the bed. The jacks tick every now and then while the water pump makes noise every time a faucet is opened. The awning creaks in the breeze and the heater is loud in the winter. My point is, things make noise and after a while I quit hearing most of them.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #8

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
The roller might have uncoiled one or two laps on install. The fix is to put in the lock pins to hold the current tension, remove the tag end from the channel on the coach, pass it around the roller a lap or two, reinstall it then remove the lock pins. Note that the entire roller assembly will have to come off-one cannot just remove the tag end from the channel where it fastens to the coach.

I had to replace a damaged one on our Georgetown and the first install fit too loose-similar to what you describe. Removing it as noted above and lapping it once or twice then reinstalling it worked perfectly. Finally, there is plenty of extra material (18 or 20 inches I recall) on the roller so there should be no issue with over-extending the fabric once you add the lap or two.

Good luck!

GVP
Old 02-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #9

THOR #16478
Thank you all!

Thanks for the many replies. We also prefer to have it to keep the top clean, and when we get back from the winter we will be taking it in for serving and have them look at this. Any level of wind, no matter what direction, causes the flapping. I suspect it needs tightening, and as we have a repair already scheduled under warranty, we'll add this to the list. Last night winds were 20 mph and it was a very sleepless night for my husband. I opted for earplugs, which at least managed to dull the sound.

Grace
Old 02-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Michigan
THOR #17210
I am wintering in NW central FL, it has been very windy here quite often, and I would not be surprised if mine are now damaged or will be.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Thumbs up Slide cover flapping in wind Solution

I have a similar problem on my Mobile Suites 36RSSB3. The slide cover for the rear-most driver's side slide flaps enough to be an annoyance if the wind is blowing in just the right direction and strongly. It flaps enough that I suspect it could be damaged if nothing is done to stop the flapping.

I found a strap (about 3" wide) that the manufacturer apparently intended to be used to stop awning flapping and/or hold an awning down in windy conditions. I've run the strap over the slide-out slide cover and staked it to the ground fore and aft of the slide. I tighten it just enough to hold down the slide cover. I have found that this solution keeps the cover from flapping and does not damage the slide out cover.

I could take a picture and post it, but I don't know how to post pictures. My camera takes pictures in .jpg format.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #12

THOR #16478
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post

I found a strap (about 3" wide) that the manufacturer apparently intended to be used to stop awning flapping and/or hold an awning down in windy conditions. I've run the strap over the slide-out slide cover and staked it to the ground fore and aft of the slide. I tighten it just enough to hold down the slide cover. I have found that this solution keeps the cover from flapping and does not damage the slide out cover.
David & Diane - Curious where you found the strap. Did it come with your RV or did you buy it elsewhere? Do try to get us a picture!

We are in Las Cruces, NM right now and it is so windy I'm worried ours will tear or otherwise get damaged.
Thanks,
Grace
Old 02-26-2020, 01:40 AM   #13

THOR #5803
Slide Cover Flapping In The Wind

The strap did not come with my 5th wheel. I'm in Florida now. I believe I bought the strap at an RV Dealer in PA maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

I would like to post a picture, but don't know how. I can take a picture and email it to you if you can get me your email address. In the mean time, I'll look around & see if I can find another strap.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:50 AM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I'm not sure a picture is needed.
Any box store or auto store in the world sells a ratchet strap.
Or a rope
Or maybe even bungie cord on a roll, cut to buyers required length.
Has the op walked over to their nearest neighbor and asked what the neighbor does?

How to post pictures.

Advanced button
Manage attachments button
Select file button.
Pick a picture on your phone or computer
Upload button.
Wait for the picture name to move to the lower box.
Close that screen
On your original open screen
Save changes button

(or thereabouts. I might be off on a button name but it's similar)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:51 AM   #15

THOR #5803
Smile Slide Cover Flapping In The Wind

I just found a probable strap solution on Camping World's Website.

Look for "RV Awning Hold Down Strap Kit", Item #4100, $12.27. Probably plus tax & shipping.

This looks very similar to what I have. I would probably buy & use a far more robust stake. My installation does not use the spring in the kit, I just tightened the strap appropriately.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:44 AM   #16

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If you go the strap route, don't forget to undo it before running the awning out.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
I have a FW24F with full wall slide and have a bit different solution that works for me.

I cut three lengths of 1 inch PVC and put threaded couplings on the ends. The lengths are cut so they fit in my cargo bay and when put together they extend 6 inches beyond the end of the topper both front and back. I ran shock cord down the inside of the PVC. When the slide is extended I place the assembled tubing over the top of the topper and bungie the cord ends under the slide. Be careful not to make the bungie too tight. I put enough tension on to keep the topper from flapping. I sleep like a baby at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	22750  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Neat solution I will make too.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #19

THOR #16478
Thumbs up Picture of it in use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I have a FW24F with full wall slide and have a bit different solution that works for me.

I cut three lengths of 1 inch PVC and put threaded couplings on the ends. The lengths are cut so they fit in my cargo bay and when put together they extend 6 inches beyond the end of the topper both front and back. I ran shock cord down the inside of the PVC. When the slide is extended I place the assembled tubing over the top of the topper and bungie the cord ends under the slide. Be careful not to make the bungie too tight. I put enough tension on to keep the topper from flapping. I sleep like a baby at night.
Could you send a picture of it in use?

Grace
Old 03-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #20

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
I don't have a picture handy. I'll take one in a few weeks when we prep for our next trip. In the mean time here is a diagram of the setup.
--
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topper.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	22787  

Tags
slide cover problem