Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2024, 01:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #27375
slide leaf catcher

I had to remove my slide canvas leaf catcher when it snapped a bracket and became totally inoperable. How concerned should I be without it, in regards to rain?

Old 05-21-2024, 01:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I assume you mean the slide topper?

Should not be a rain issue as long as your seals work correctly and no leavers or twigs get caught in the seal.

If all you need to do is replace the fabric it's a pretty easy DIY job. I have about 33' left on this roll:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSM26L0/?th=1

That I bought to replace my slide topper fabric. Make an offer for some or all of it if you want.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 08:06 PM   #3

State: Indiana
THOR #27375
belated thanks

hey, thank you,
I was thinking and hoping it is as you say. I'll keep in mind your offer when it comes to the time I fix this issue.
Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2024, 10:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
There are quite a few RVs that donít have toppers over slides. On my rig 1 it the 3 slides is topless. The only issue is making sure the wiper seal removes water off the slide top when retracting after it rains. I will usually retract 2 slides, manually lower the front of the Motorhome to allow runoff before retracting the kitchen slide.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:28 AM   #5

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadahead View Post
I had to remove my slide canvas leaf catcher when it snapped a bracket and became totally inoperable. How concerned should I be without it, in regards to rain?
Years ago slideout rooms did not have toppers and when camping in wooded areas we had to climb up on the roof with a broom to sweep the leaves and twigs off the top of the slides before retracting them. I guess today we would use a leaf blower. If you are camping in open areas where stuff will not accumulate on the top of the sldeout then you should be ok without the topper. Just make sure the gasket seal flips all the way around the slideout so rain water does not flow to the interior of the RV. Many of you will remember the days of manual awnings and the awning rod used to pull the strap on the awning. We also used that same awning rod to flip the seal around the slide if it did not flip all the way when extending the slide.

As a side note I will point out another use for the awning rod. If you have a downtube from your toilet to the black tank that is at the shallow end of the black tank and a wife who uses an enormous amount of toilet paper, you may find yourself using that awning rod to break loose a disgusting pile at the bottom of that downtube.

So folks just because you now have a new RV with a fancy electric awning, don't get rid of that awning rod. I have three, two short and one long one.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:03 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
As a side note I will point out another use for the awning rod. If you have a downtube from your toilet to the black tank that is at the shallow end of the black tank and a wife who uses an enormous amount of toilet paper, you may find yourself using that awning rod to break loose a disgusting pile at the bottom of that downtube.
I no longer have an awning rod in my possession but that would be a good tool to clear a nasty clog. I had to do something similar on a recent trip to D.C. with my wife and two teenage granddaughters during April vacation. I don't remember what I used, only that it is definitely something I hope not to have to repeat anytime soon...or for that matter, ever!