Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #6924
Drop Down Bed Over the cab

Hello, I have a 2015 Outlaw with a drop down bed over the cab. After getting the coach back from other maintenance I noticed one of the safety pins was not installed and that side of the bed is 1-2" lower than the other side. I looked in the Thor manual but did not find any guidance on this.
Any ideas on correcting this? I reset the controller but have no change.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
From what I have picked up, try raising the bed to get the other pin out, then lowering it completely, holding the button down 2-4seconds after it hits limits. Do this cycle a couple times, holding the switch down the 2-5 seconds after the bed stops moving, and it should reset the motor sync.
Of course, I haven't been around these things as much as SuperD or others, but that's what I remember from discussions with tech service..
Same basic procedure for syncing the slide motors..
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #3

THOR #6924
I will give it a try, thanks.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
From what I have picked up, try raising the bed to get the other pin out, then lowering it completely, holding the button down 2-4seconds after it hits limits. Do this cycle a couple times, holding the switch down the 2-5 seconds after the bed stops moving, and it should reset the motor sync.
Of course, I haven't been around these things as much as SuperD or others, but that's what I remember from discussions with tech service..
Same basic procedure for syncing the slide motors..
This is the correct way! After you get the other pin out lower, hold button till motors stop, then another 3-5 seconds, raise bed till motors stop, hold for another 3-5 seconds, replace pins and you should be good.

The system counts motor revolutions to stay in synch, that's why it's important to hold the button another 3-5 seconds after the motors stop. This applies to the slides too!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

THOR #6924
Thank You [emoji4]
Old 08-08-2017, 03:46 AM   #6

THOR #6924
Havent tried the motor sync yet but was thinking about the two pins to lock it in storage while traveling. I'm looking at getting these from Monroe,
Name:  IMG_0149.JPG
Views: 1524
Size:  1.7 KB

Hopefully the pict will post. You can search "Monroe LBL 109"
They have a spring loaded ball that should keep it in place until you press the knob to remove it.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #7

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhadley View Post
Havent tried the motor sync yet but was thinking about the two pins to lock it in storage while traveling. I'm looking at getting these from Monroe,
Attachment 6251

Hopefully the pict will post. You can search "Monroe LBL 109"
They have a spring loaded ball that should keep it in place until you press the knob to remove it.
I have several of those types of pins on my boat. The factory pins work fine IMHO, they don't fit real tight and are easy to remove and replace. The push button pins usually have a smaller retention ball, not sure if it would stay in well because the slots are fairly wide and not a tight fit for the pin.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #8

THOR #8249
My experience with the pins supplied has been good. You just need to lower the bed onto the pins after installation to "lock" them in place for traveling. I check that by a tug on them after lowering the bed.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #9

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I have several of those types of pins on my boat. The factory pins work fine IMHO, they don't fit real tight and are easy to remove and replace. The push button pins usually have a smaller retention ball, not sure if it would stay in well because the slots are fairly wide and not a tight fit for the pin.
With respect to ball lock pins, normally there is a specific hole size with reasonably tight tolerances required for the locking hole for the pin. Not real sure you wouldn't need to do some drilling or reaming to make one work.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
My experience with the pins supplied has been good. You just need to lower the bed onto the pins after installation to "lock" them in place for traveling. I check that by a tug on them after lowering the bed.
Lowering your bed part way to lock the pins may not be a good idea, your motors may get out of synch since they aren't making full travel. Same with the slides, never open just part way, go all the way or nothing to keep motors synchronized.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Lowering your bed part way to lock the pins may not be a good idea, your motors may get out of synch since they aren't making full travel. Same with the slides, never open just part way, go all the way or nothing to keep motors synchronized.
What is the difference with running them down against the pins and holding for 3 seconds or running it all the way down against the stops and holding it for 3 seconds?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

THOR #5196
If you're running against the pins until the motor stops I guess it wouldn't hurt anything. I run the bed all the way up, put the pins in, and leave it at that. I've never had the pins come out or the bed drift down and I've been on some pretty rough highway.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I just run it all the way up - put the pins in and leave it...
After traveling - it is resting on the pins. I have to raise it again to get the pins out..

I don't think running it down against the pins and holding the button will work... the controllers will know they are no where near full cycle (counting revolutions).
Can lower slightly if needed - but I found the pins have never come out on their own.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 AM   #14

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
pins

when the bunk goes up a bit crooked you can get a pin in but it may not catch the bunk, you could re drill the hole if needed, i run the bunk down to put pressure on the pins, for some odd reason it likes to have the engine running when in move the bunk up or down
Old 08-09-2017, 02:26 AM   #15

THOR #6924
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
when the bunk goes up a bit crooked you can get a pin in but it may not catch the bunk, you could re drill the hole if needed, i run the bunk down to put pressure on the pins, for some odd reason it likes to have the engine running when in move the bunk up or down

Mine is interlocked to not allow the bunk to move when the engine is running.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 AM   #16

THOR #8323
I had an RV technician tell me that once we put the pins in on the bed to go ahead and power the bed down in place to lock the pins. We you want to use the bed, power the bed up as far as it will go, pull the pins and then lower the bed all the way down.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:41 AM   #17

Model: Outlaw
State: Idaho
THOR #8541
I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw class A 37BG toy hauler. I have had many problems with this new coach and one of them is that the front bunk passenger side will not stay in the up position and drifts down enough when traveling to jam the bed in place.
We starting putting in the traveling pins and noted that I can remove the driver's side pin easy enough but once the bed has drifted down onto the passenger side it is impossible to get it out and the control does not raise the bed up until we got into the controller override mode by pushing the button on the controller and holding it in on the 7th push till the red and green lights cycle. Then we can use the digital control panel to just slightly move the bed up till I can get out the pin. Suspecting brake is bad on the motor so it is in the shop for that too.
Good 'ol Thor
Is making my backside sore.
Taking it to from the RV repair store!

Hopefully they will get it all fixed to satisfy me.
Hey, I guess that is why we got the extended warranty!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #10669
overhead bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordstok View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw class A 37BG toy hauler. I have had many problems with this new coach and one of them is that the front bunk passenger side will not stay in the up position and drifts down enough when traveling to jam the bed in place.
We starting putting in the traveling pins and noted that I can remove the driver's side pin easy enough but once the bed has drifted down onto the passenger side it is impossible to get it out and the control does not raise the bed up until we got into the controller override mode by pushing the button on the controller and holding it in on the 7th push till the red and green lights cycle. Then we can use the digital control panel to just slightly move the bed up till I can get out the pin. Suspecting brake is bad on the motor so it is in the shop for that too.
Good 'ol Thor
Is making my backside sore.
Taking it to from the RV repair store!

Hopefully they will get it all fixed to satisfy me.
Hey, I guess that is why we got the extended warranty!
How is the bed working for you now? I bought a used one, and the first night the front bed got all cockeyed, and it's in for repair now.

Boy that dealer really got me!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #19

Model: Outlaw
State: Idaho
THOR #8541
I took it in to get the passenger side motor replaced as it was believed the brake part of it was not holding.

I also got word from Thor that once the pins are in place I have to drive the bed down onto the pins. I tried that and I was able to actually get to to go up with the control so that I could take the pins out.
Since that seems to work I am going to go with it. Previously I had to put the drive controller in override mode to get it to go up.
Hope this helps. You have to put in the pins or it will sag and it is very difficult to get it level again.
Your manual will tell you how to put it in overide.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #20

THOR #6924
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatau1957 View Post
How is the bed working for you now? I bought a used one, and the first night the front bed got all cockeyed, and it's in for repair now.

Boy that dealer really got me!

It is working good now. The trick is to re-sync the motors by tilting the driver/passenger seats back, then dropping the bed all of the way down until the motors stop. Also someone else commented that once the bed is stored with the pins in, drop the bed a little to put pressure on the pins.