Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2022, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Florida
THOR #28437
slide maintenance

How often should the slide out gears be "greased"?
Newbie, trying to learn.

Old 12-04-2022, 02:58 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishbass View Post
How often should the slide out gears be "greased"?
Newbie, trying to learn.
Should be in the black bag book from Thor. I do know it is not grease. Lippert recommend a specific spray to spray the gearing .CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant With PTFE, 11 Wt Oz, High Performance Aerosol Lubricant Spray. This is what they recommend. I bought it on Amazon.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:13 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I thought it was no longer recommended to lube it at all…
Old 12-04-2022, 03:17 AM   #4

THOR #28437
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Should be in the black bag book from Thor. I do know it is not grease. Lippert recommend a specific spray to spray the gearing .CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant With PTFE, 11 Wt Oz, High Performance Aerosol Lubricant Spray. This is what they recommend. I bought it on Amazon.
I put greased in quotes. I know not to use real grease. just wondering how often to use the spray.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2022, 03:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I put greased in quotes. I know not to use real grease. just wondering how often to use the spray.

Thanks!
Never; per current guidance from Lippert. Check their YouTube channel.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:44 AM   #6

THOR #28437
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Never; per current guidance from Lippert. Check their YouTube channel.
Yea, I screwed up. Sprayed the rails that I now know you should never lubricate. Not sure how I am going to clean them now.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Yea, I screwed up. Sprayed the rails that I now know you should never lubricate. Not sure how I am going to clean them now.

Clean them with a Dawn dish soap / water mixture and a sponge then rinse. Then you just keep them clean of dust, debris and dirt by washing.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #8

THOR #28437
Now I am reading that it may be ok to spray them with the 3&1 spray. A few people have said that it was first recommended to spray the rails and then the protocol was changed because people were using the wrong lubricant. Rails look clean. Thinking about just leaving them and check to make sure they do not get grimy in the future.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Now I am reading that it may be ok to spray them with the 3&1 spray. A few people have said that it was first recommended to spray the rails and then the protocol was changed because people were using the wrong lubricant. Rails look clean. Thinking about just leaving them and check to make sure they do not get grimy in the future.

You don't need lubrication. The key is to keep the tracks clean of dirt and debris. The build up of dirt will cause problems over time and that is why LCI stopped recommending lubrication.

Some people will lubricate the gib but the LCI documentation does not specifically recommend / require it.

There are a lot of short comings and weaknesses with the Schwintek slide mechanism (at least when it comes to large and heavy slides) and lubrication is not going to solve them or prevent failures. Keep the tracks clean and keep the floor rollers properly adjusted. Also keep things off the floor that will get under the slide floor and obstruct it from opening and closing freely. Make sure to hold the Extend / Retract button for 2 - 3 second after the slide is fully open or fully closed to keep the motors synced.

If you do these things, the slide will operate as reliably as its design will allow.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #10

THOR #28437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You don't need lubrication. The key is to keep the tracks clean of dirt and debris. The build up of dirt will cause problems over time and that is why LCI stopped recommending lubrication.

Some people will lubricate the gib but the LCI documentation does not specifically recommend / require it.

There are a lot of short comings and weaknesses with the Schwintek slide mechanism (at least when it comes to large and heavy slides) and lubrication is not going to solve them or prevent failures. Keep the tracks clean and keep the floor rollers properly adjusted. Also keep things off the floor that will get under the slide floor and obstruct it from opening and closing freely. Make sure to hold the Extend / Retract button for 2 - 3 second after the slide is fully open or fully closed to keep the motors synced.

If you do these things, the slide will operate as reliably as its design will allow.
Thanks!
Old 12-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #11

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Maybe they tell folks to stop using lubricant so the motors will wear out sooner and they can sell more motors.
I lubricate mine no problem with dirt accumulation.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:39 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Most sprays and greases cause dust and dirt to accumulate which will cause wear and tear on the track and gears. I'd think like to other person said just wash with dawn and rinse; OR call Lippert and they can advise you!!!!
Old 12-11-2022, 05:44 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
IMO, it's critical to ALWAYS level the coach before operating the slide... ESPECIALLY with large "full wall" slides. Second most important is keep the slide motors synchronized - as Judge stated.

Skip the lubrication... just keep the tracks/gears VERY clean. Clean - Level - Synchronized.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
IMO, it's critical to ALWAYS level the coach before operating the slide... ESPECIALLY with large "full wall" slides. Second most important is keep the slide motors synchronized - as Judge stated.

Skip the lubrication... just keep the tracks/gears VERY clean. Clean - Level - Synchronized.
I'm going to add level and stable, on jacks. You might be in a level sight but extending a slide, especially heavy slide will change the level. Don't believe me, set a good sized level on the floor and look at the before and after level conditions if the jacks are not extended.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:04 AM   #15
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

Judge, no adjustment on the Palazzo rollers. They are floor mounted and the slide rolls on them with metal plates on the bottom of the slide. Dirt and dust does not get near the rollers. Still should vacuum before retracting the slide. So I guess it depends on how the slide is designed and installed.