Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #11657
Newbie ? So since there is no spare

Since there is no spare what do you do if you have a flat?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Haven’t had a tire go flat in 4 years and almost 19k miles on the Axis (knock wood), but would call for roadside assistance that I’ve added to my auto insurance policy if the need should arise.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Call roadside assistance. The coach comes with some--read your manual I believe Ford provides some for a year or so after new.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #4

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
Since there is no spare what do you do if you have a flat?
Dear Doc,

I bought a 3rd hand 2014 Thor Freedom Elite 23U on a Chevy Chassis. There was no spare or jack and the owners handbook is next to useless. There is a pit with a cover in the rear cargo compartment. I went to a Chevy dealer and bought a new wheel and a matching tire. I installed those in the well, I bought a jack and lug nut socket and a breaker bar I may not be able to change the tire but if I call for help, someone will be able to do the job. I live in Northern Canada and carry the best rv towing package I can get. However there is limited cell phone coverage on the highways and tire shops are few and far between. My take on thor cheaping out in a preparing the RV for sale. It is possible this stuff is sitting in someone's garage but from the comments on the list I doubt it. I also carry a large screwdriver for removing wheel covers and a mini compressor capable of inflating these tires as well a rubber mallet and a block of wood for re installing wheel covers.

Rocky camping in the Canadian Rockes

Happy Camping
Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

Model: 24ft Chateau
State: Florida
THOR #9537
I also bought a used coach and no spare. I have a bicycle carrier and place a spare tire, no ring. And have it covered.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I have a Vegas with 16" wheels. bought a spare rim and ire along with a 12 ton bottle jack. I carry many tools as well as tow an open race car trailer.

I have road side assistance from 2 sources but sometimes schedule does not allow waiting. Was a consideration when choosing Vegas over ACE or Sunstar.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Put the flat tire on the inside rear, and trade it in...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #8

THOR #4735
haven't had a flat or problem in 82,000 miles over 3 1/2 years.... no worries.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
To pull the spare tire/wheel up out a well in the center of a storage compartment will require a lot of physical strength while probably on your hands/knees in the compartment. Personally I'd have to have it mounted outside somewhere if planning to carry one.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The trend is no spare supplied for many RV's and a growing number of newer cars too. For the RV, roadside service contracts are necessary, for cars, a number of them are coming with run flat tires that allow you to drive for 50 miles or so with no air pressure.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:30 AM   #11

Model: Thor Aria 3601
THOR #11333
I have purchased a spare wheel and tire along with a Roadmaster hitch mounted spare tire carrier.
The carrier pivots so that the spare is easier to remove if needed.
The carrier was pricy but heavy duty and appears to be easy to use.
Wheel and carrier from Amazon suppliers and tire from Discount Tire.
Hopefully not ever needed but I am prepared.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
This has been hashed out on the forum a few times. Some folks wouldn't hit the road without a spare, some wouldn't know what to do with a spare if they had it, and some just want it to have in case road service can't find a tire to fit.

I bought road service only when I knew the tires were approaching 5 years old, near the end of their useful life. We blew two tires, front left and then later rear inside. Both times, road service brought a new tire, it took about 4 hours, and the service charged the same price as we paid for the other 4 tires I replaced.

Our Vegas has 21,000 miles with no tire incidents. I do carry a small AC air compressor without a tank, (Sears) which can fill a tire in a few minutes. If I blow a tire without road service, I'll start calling the closest tire shops. Smart phones and improved cell coverage has changed this equation greatly.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:25 AM   #13

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
We carry a tire only, no wheel. Hopefully the service truck can mount it. This is just to avoid an incident where a tire of this size is not readily available. Besides, I'm too old to sling a mounted spare around. Flats are an inconvenience, a broken back is forever.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 AM   #14

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfam View Post
haven't had a flat or problem in 82,000 miles over 3 1/2 years.... No worries.
you will this year!
Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
My first significant motorhome experience was about 20 years ago in a rented Thor Class C, and sure enough we had a tire failure. I decided that day I would not travel without a spare.

My present camping van doesn’t have room underneath for a spare due to the conversion, so I built my own tire carrier attached to driver-side rear door. While it’s not normal, or recommended, I carry a compact temporary spare for an “emergency”. A standard-size spare won’t fit because it will either block the right door, or bust the left tail light if door is opened all the way. I mention all this just to point out how important having a spare (any spare) is to me.

Last July I blew a tire 1,000 miles from home due to old age, and having the spare to get us to a tire shop, where I purchased four new tires, was so worth the effort. I didn’t time it, but was back on road in about half an hour. No doubt it was a mistake letting my tires get so old.

By the way, a few months ago, my spare blew while on the rear door, most likely from old age (but may have been over inflated). Fortunately it didn’t cause any damage except for tearing the tire cover. Yeah, it’s easy to forget that spares get old too. My new spare is still smaller, but now a Commercial tire with even higher load and pressure ratings than the OEM tires.

I have roadside, but won’t be without a spare.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:42 AM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
We carry a tire only, no wheel. Hopefully the service truck can mount it. This is just to avoid an incident where a tire of this size is not readily available. Besides, I'm too old to sling a mounted spare around. Flats are an inconvenience, a broken back is forever.
We do the same, ordered the Michelin replacement from Tire Rack.Com.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Unless you've got levelers: how easy is it to carry the necessary jack, to lift all of that weight anyway?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #18

Model: Thor Aria 3601
THOR #11333
I our case, we decided to purchase a full size spare but we also subscribe to a road service plan.
It was not my intent to change a flat myself but to have the necessary spare for road service in the event it is needed instead of waiting for them to find a tire and possibly a wheel.
I did have a failure of a rubber valve stem on the right front when the rig was parked in our storage lot and the road service had necessary jack and compressor to make the repair, all in 15 minutes on a late Saturday morning, albeit in Atlanta, not on the side of an interstate or in the middle of nowhere.
I am now having steel valve stems installed on all six tires and dually extenders installed on the rears.
My wife and I are first time newbies and we want to be as prepared as possible.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
THOR #10509
What Chance said. I call roadside asst for help. But I can't imagine driving any vehicle without a spare even with roadside. So I have a spare if I need to call for help. I bought and carry one using the Roadmaster Tire carrier.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Roadside assistance for us. No room to carry a spare for our Class A since we are full timers. We carry roadside assistance through our insurance policy for both the RV and the toad (Jeep Cherokee also with no spare.)
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote