Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
Slide out adjustment

How do I adjust the Schwintek slide out to close more tightly?

Old 09-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0138 View Post
How do I adjust the Schwintek slide out to close more tightly?
The slide closes until the motors stall. There are no limit switches on the slide's motors. If there is a gap where the bulb seals contact the sides of the coach then something is blocking the retraction. You can use a slide lock to see if the slide will come in further but I suspect it will not until you remove the obstruction.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

THOR #17813
What is a slide lock?
Old 09-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #4

THOR #17813
The distance from the side of the coach for the edge of the slide in the front is about 3/16 of an inch shorter then the distance from the coach to the edge of the slide in the back of the slide out. The bulb seals are against the side of the coach with no gap but i 'm still getting some water into the coach.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #5

THOR #17813
Beau, I Googled it, thanks.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
I had a similar problem. I will try to find my post on the issue. In the meantime where and when do you notice the leak?

Is it on the end of the slide or somewhere in between? Do you see water with the slide closed or only when it is open? Little details like this are key.

I had a leak visible at the end of the slide when it was in or out. Turned out to be the slide seal between the slide and coach was about a 1/4 inch too short allowing water to enter at the bottom of the seal.

I had another slide leak all the time under the dinette. Turned out to be the outside slide trim was not sealed correctly. The water was dripping through the gap and onto a metal trim piece on the bottom of the slide - a nice little raceway to the inside of the coach. I sealed the trim and shifted the metal trim about a 1/4 inch from the outside edge of the slide to make a weep area.

I’ll send pictures when I get home later tonight.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0138 View Post
The distance from the side of the coach for the edge of the slide in the front is about 3/16 of an inch shorter then the distance from the coach to the edge of the slide in the back of the slide out. The bulb seals are against the side of the coach with no gap but i 'm still getting some water into the coach.
You need to synchronize your slide motors and always hold the switch in the extend or retract position for several seconds after all movement has stopped.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #8

THOR #17813
It only leaks when the slide is closed. It leaks on the bottom rear corner and comes in thru the drain passage under the slide rail into the coach. Someone suggested caulking the alignment holes in the slide rail. Would appreciate pics of what you did. THANKS!
Old 09-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #9

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
It took a while to find my leak since in was intermittent. If the driver's side was low then no leak, if it was high then a leak. Turns out the slide seal was open on the bottom letting water come in the coach. You can see the water drips in the picture.

I ran a bead of RTV from where to factory RTV ended over to where the fixed part of the slide seal ended - about one inch. Roughly to the first vertical line after the rivet. No more leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slideseal.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	26385  
Old 09-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Follow the video instructions should do the trick. If not something else may happenin'.
I personally wouldn't use slide locks. Mine the slide locks would've only been usable on one side of the slide & that doesn't seem like a good idea to only lock 1/2 of the slide.
With the Schwintec slides as long as there's 12 volt power to the slide motors & the switch not depressed the slides won't move, this is what keeps them in place while traveling. This is also one of the parasitic battery drains while being stored.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #11

THOR #17813
Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Just a thought.

Each side has only one motor that runs a shaft for all of the tracks. if one of the tracks is off and the motor stops because one track is at its limit, the other track stops also no matter where it is. No amount of syncing will correct it. This is especially true of the bottom track due to "twisting" of the shaft.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

THOR #17813
Thanks for the info. I synced the motors, patched the alignment hole in the rail with caulk so we'll wait for the next rain which will be in about a week or so to see if it's fixed.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #14

THOR #17813
Slide out adjustment

I'm still have the leak. I found the outside speaker wasn't sealed properly so took it out and ran a bead of caulk on top of the gasket and put it back together. It seems to be dripping on the inside of the lower aft slide rail. I've tried pouring water from the bottom of the slide rail up to the top of the RV and can't get it to leak but when it rains it leaks.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:26 PM   #15

Model: Vegas
THOR #21560
In post #3 above Paul0138 asks "What is a SLIDE LOCK?". I just now found a heavy duty adjustable length padded rod-- like one you would use in a pick-up truck bed to keep "stuff" from sliding around- under my double recliners in the living room/dinette slide, that has a label on it that says "SLIDE LOCK". I find no reference to it in any of my paperwork (2014 Vegas 24.1)and I have no idea where it goes or what it's purpose is. Any insight into its use, value, and "WHY" would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed V.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Not sure what yours looks like however I have seen slide locks that get installed to keep the slide from inadvertently engaging while traveling. I don’t know how frequent that occurs but it must be something if they provide it with the coach.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Not sure what yours looks like however I have seen slide locks that get installed to keep the slide from inadvertently engaging while traveling. I don’t know how frequent that occurs but it must be something if they provide it with the coach.
The slides are held in place by the electric brakes on each of the slide's motors. The brakes are applied anytime there is 12 volt power to the power center's 12 volt bus through the 30 amp fuse. This is the main reason for the store/use - master power latching relay (to remove this power drain when the coach is stored). So, if you chose to travel with the coach with the master power off or use /store switch in store, the slides can/will drift. A slide lock is used also if a motor has failed and the slide retracted manually if travel is necessary.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:50 AM   #18

Model: Vegas
THOR #21560
Thanks to all. I can see where it would be useable on some of the larger slides- even adviseable. But based on this info, I shouldn't need to use it except in case of some electrical failure releasing the brakes or a physical breakdown. I'll put it back just where I found it. Ed.