Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Pinicale 3050
State: Florida
THOR #14978
Slide out /hydraulic jacks not working....

So I'm new to the whole RV life. I have been troubleshooting some issues that have started after motorhome sat for 7 months. Motorhome was not starting. I fix that problem. But caused another one in the process. So am I motorhome was not starting after sitting for 7 months. I thought maybe there was a safety mechanism that wouldn't let me start it with the slide out and leveling jacks engaged. So I proceeded to move them in to make it Road ready. Well by not having the engine running I burnt up the converter and something else I think. So I don't get a new converter until Sunday. I shouldn't need the converter though to move the Jacks in or slide out correct? With the engine started hydraulic system for both does nothing. What could I have damaged??? Thanks for the help

Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
30more, if you don’t have schematics for your 1998 Pinnacle you may have to trace out things and make your own schematics. I don’t know what kind of battery control system your 1998 coach uses but I would first check that the alternator is charging both chassis and coach batteries correctly. More modern RV’s use various battery control systems (BIRD, BIM, BCC) to monitor battery string voltages and allow the connection of the coach and chassis batteries together under various charging and emergency starting scenarios. I don’t know if your coach uses any of these systems.

I would “guess” that your hydraulic motors are powered off coach batteries (which is typical for newer coaches), and if they are in good state of charge and receiving charge from the alternator you should have lots of juice. So the question is what breakers or fuses are in line between the coach batteries and your hydraulic motor(s). On my coach there is a 100 amp resettable breaker. So I would start tracing/investigating the actual circuit that powers your hydraulics. Use a voltmeter and trace out along the hydraulic circuit to where your coach battery DC voltage stops.