Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
Slide-out leak

I I posted several times before on this but I'm still having a leak. I've caulked the molding and recaulked the bracket for the awning. I've pressurized the RV with a blower and sprayed soap solution for bubbles but still can't find the leak. I can't be the only one having this problem. The water is getting inside of the outside wall of the slide out and coming out at the bottom and leaking into the channel going inside the RV. Help!

Old 07-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

THOR #17813
I think I have found the problem with the leak. The slide out awning bracket seems to be the source of the leak. I have taken it off and re-caulked it a couple of times. The caulk I used was v-flex and it was wet when I took the bracket off. It never dried properly even though it had a couple of dry days to set up. This time I used Lexel clear caulk so we'll see if that does the trick. Three of the attaching bolts are stripped out so I put epoxy into the holes. I think the wood behind the fiberglass must be rotted and there's no easy way to replace the wood.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0138 View Post
I think I have found the problem with the leak. The slide out awning bracket seems to be the source of the leak. I have taken it off and re-caulked it a couple of times. The caulk I used was v-flex and it was wet when I took the bracket off. It never dried properly even though it had a couple of dry days to set up. This time I used Lexel clear caulk so we'll see if that does the trick. Three of the attaching bolts are stripped out so I put epoxy into the holes. I think the wood behind the fiberglass must be rotted and there's no easy way to replace the wood.

Hope it works. I use Lexel for everything except the roof and it’s a really good product. Good for you searching until cured. I’m going to check my brackets as I don’t normally include them in my regular inspections.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #4

THOR #17813
I meant to say that the first caulk I used was Alex Flex. I poured water on the bracket this morning and no leak. We'll see how it works when we get good rain.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #5

THOR #17813
Well, we got a little rain overnight and I've still got water on the floor. The inside of the outside slide wall is still wet at the bottom rear corner. It looks like it's back to the drawing board. Very frustrating!
Old 08-05-2021, 12:41 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Well, we got a little rain overnight and I've still got water on the floor. The inside of the outside slide wall is still wet at the bottom rear corner. It looks like it's back to the drawing board. Very frustrating!

Sorry to learn that….but it’s got to be something. Keep up the search and let us know when you find it.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I had an old trailer and the water was coming in around the windows in the slide out and ruined the floor and wall
Old 09-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #8

THOR #17813
"I had an old trailer and the water was coming in around the windows in the slide out and ruined the floor and wall"

Thanks for your reply, Bill. My slide leaks when retracted and I have checked the exposed windows with soap bubble spray, after pressurizing, and they don't seem to be leaking.

I'm thinking the other posters are correct , that it's not the canopy. It's probably got something to do with the seals. I've caulked the molding/trim. I'll keep looking.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #9

THOR #17813
Found another source of a leak. Rear camera rubber grommet dried out and cracking. Removed and filled hole with RV rope putty. We'll see if this helps.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #10

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Had similar issue.
Caught it early, leaked twice.
Put up all new weather stripping around entire slide.
Still had a little water.
Went back and caulked all trim (see picture).
Worked great.
Been months now.
Went back and caulked all doors/panels just to be sure (hot water heater, refrigerator, outdoor shower, heater exhaust, etc.).
To find leak, used leveling system to angle camper with drivers side well above passengers side. Used a garden watering can and started at the top (top of slide, slide awning attachment, windows, etc.) and worked my way down. Wifey inside giving me feedback.
Appears water was coming through cracks between slide and trim. Gap so small couldn't see with naked eye. Water then went to L bracket on bottom running length of slide, and then, depending on how camper parked, went to one of the dual rack brackets, and the water followed that to the inside floor.
Hope this helps.
PS-live/camp in an area that averages 60 inches a year, so a big deal to get fixed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_114224.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	33802
Old 09-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #11

THOR #17813
Thanks for your detailed reply Matthew glad you got your leak fixed. I've caulked just about everything that I can find on the slide out and now I'm going back to recaulk around the external speaker where I think it may be leaking. It's raining today but it's supposed to clear up this afternoon. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:18 PM   #12

THOR #17813
Found another possible cause for the leak.... the external speaker. Water gets into the speaker and can't drain out the bottom so I drilled a small hole on the outside of the speaker cover. Poured some water over it from a bucket and it didn't leak so we'll see what happens when we get our next rain.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #13

THOR #20274
Quote:
Found another possible cause for the leak.... the external speaker. Water gets into the speaker and can't drain out the bottom so I drilled a small hole on the outside of the speaker cover. Poured some water over it from a bucket and it didn't leak so we'll see what happens when we get our next rain.
Speakers are usually caulked about 80% around so water can come out the bottom. I made CW redo mine after they caulked it all the way around. I asked the service manager didn't you worker notice the other speaker next to it wasn't caulked all the way around for a reason
Old 12-16-2021, 09:53 PM   #14

THOR #17813
Do your speakers have a drain hole just under the Jensen logo or does the lack of caulking at the bottom do the job?
Old 12-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #15

THOR #20274
Quote:
Do your speakers have a drain hole just under the Jensen logo or does the lack of caulking at the bottom do the job?
My old motorhome was a 2019 Jayco 29xk I don't know what brand they were but I looked at my photos and there are no drain holes