Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2021, 09:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
Slide out leak

I have been having an ongoing problem with a leak in my slide out which winds up with water on the floor on the aft side of the bed. I have caulked the trim molding, slide out awning bracket and around all external openings. I have also caulked around the right rear roof and ladder attachments. I have pressurized the RV with an HVAC squirrel cage blower and sprayed a soapy solution on possible points of entry for water. If I pour water on the slide out awning it doesn't leak but if I pour it on the roof it leaks very quickly and comes out the aft screw on the bottom of the slide out. I am about to take it to a repair shop but thought I would see if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Slide leaks are really tough to diagnose sometimes. Both of ours leaked on delivery, and the dealer will be making repairs in April (they had to order parts and my coach is covered for the winter). My fingers are crossed.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:59 PM   #3

THOR #17813
At least your is covered under warranty! I think I may have found my culprit. The rear external speaker gets a steady stream of water on it when it rains. I pulled the speaker this afternoon after a rain yesterday and it's wet inside. I have tried caulking it in the past and it still leaks. I'm wondering if the water is coming in through the speaker and since there are no drain holes it backs up into the RV wall. I can't seem to find any mounting instructions for the speaker and am thinking of drilling a weep hole at the bottom of the speaker. It seems like it should have a way of draining the water that inevitably gets into the speaker.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:17 PM   #4

THOR #17813
Talk to the Jensen speaker people yesterday they were very helpful and suggested drilling a hole at the bottom to allow the water out. We'll try that and keep you posted.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Paul - I would suggest that you remove the speaker, tape the hole shut with plastic and tape, and wait for rain. Then check for water. If water is in that recess, then it is not the speaker. Just saying, this might be originating somewhere else.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #6

THOR #17813
Thanks for your reply. I pulled the speaker after we had about an inch of rain and it was wet where the speaker slides through the wall. After I drilled the hole and caulked I poured water on the speaker and the water was leaking out of the hole that I drilled as well as the bottom of the speaker and where I did not caulk. I would think that would be a common problem as the speakers are water resistant not waterproof. The manufacturer should provide the speaker with the hole already drilled.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #7

THOR #17813
Well, the speaker fix didn't work. Still leaking.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #8

THOR #3952
A common place for slide leaks is what they call the picture frame trim on the slide. All 3 of mine leaked. Took me a while to figure it out. Here is where I taped and caulked mine to fix the leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C53A4D04-525F-429C-AACD-20C494EF46D0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	35267  
Old 12-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #9

THOR #17813
Thanks for the pic. I have caulked all of that and it still leaks.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #10

THOR #17813
Just pulled the speaker after rain yesterday. It's wet where it goes through the wall. I cut a gasket out of tar paper to cover between the speaker and where it mounts to the wall and put it back together. We'll see if that works.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:33 AM   #11

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16889
What about the rubber seal that goes around the slide out when the when the slide out is out does the rubber seal come out all the way around. Mine did not I had a similar leak. Don't know if that if that fixed it
Old 12-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #12

THOR #17813
My Rubber seal on the bottom tends to not flip back and forth when I open and close the slide out. I think my external speaker is where the water is coming in. It's supposed to rain the next few days so we'll see If I fixed the problem.