Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Camera's intermittent.

Can someone tell me where the camera's plug into the Axxera radio. The camera's are in and out with each little bump. In fact as I went to back into our latest campsite, I realized that a slight thump on the side of the panel gets them working again. Sounds like a loose wire, but my big head won't go far enough under to see anything and I can't feel anything loose.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Ours does the same thing, the camera switcher is located under the access panel above the instrument cluster and all three cameras connect there. My connections there where tight, but I occasionally reach up under the dash to the back of the radio and push on the connections which corrects the problem for a little while.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
On other threads, it's been noted that the assembly line is a little hurried and connectors aren't quite tight. It would pay to give the wires a tug and wiggle. If loose, I'd cut off the existing crimp, strip and recrimp a new connector. I don't know if the cameras have separate ground wires but do check. It couldn't hurt to call Thor Customer Service, 8778552867, have your VIN ready.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:26 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
As stated above, there is a Camera box under the access panel. I just learned a bunch about it as I am installing a larger multi monitor. The cameras themselves are an aviation connector and if it is screwed in correctly is probably not your problem. The output wire goes to the Stereo head. The monitor wire is unused it has a short connector that isn't hooked up. The power in connector has a bunch of wires. They are actually, Power, ground, and the trigger wires that cause the screen to come on during reverse etc. I had some of those wires that we a little loose in the block. I would look there or on the back of the receiver. You can also remove the tray above the radio be lifting off the rubber pad and removing the two small screws under it.

Hope this helps
Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Can someone tell me where the camera's plug into the Axxera radio. The camera's are in and out with each little bump. In fact as I went to back into our latest campsite, I realized that a slight thump on the side of the panel gets them working again. Sounds like a loose wire, but my big head won't go far enough under to see anything and I can't feel anything loose.
EXACT same problem here, ACE 30.2. I too think it's a loose connection(s), but I'm not sure how to get in there to check. Anyone have a description (or even better, pictures) of how and where to get in there to check these connections? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #6

THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
As stated above, there is a Camera box under the access panel. I just learned a bunch about it as I am installing a larger multi monitor. The cameras themselves are an aviation connector and if it is screwed in correctly is probably not your problem. The output wire goes to the Stereo head. The monitor wire is unused it has a short connector that isn't hooked up. The power in connector has a bunch of wires. They are actually, Power, ground, and the trigger wires that cause the screen to come on during reverse etc. I had some of those wires that we a little loose in the block. I would look there or on the back of the receiver. You can also remove the tray above the radio be lifting off the rubber pad and removing the two small screws under it.

Hope this helps
Thanks! I forgot all about the top tray. Much easier to get to all radio wires.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
The video feed to the radio will be under the center panel, allowing access to the back of the radio.
However, the video switching module is located under the access panel over the steering wheel. This splitter decides whether to send video from the rear, or either side mirror.

It's definitely another potential failure point for a loose connection.

Easy to turn the "screws" with a quarter, and the module should be screwed down to plywood.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:20 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Atchley View Post
The video feed to the radio will be under the center panel, allowing access to the back of the radio.
However, the video switching module is located under the access panel over the steering wheel. This splitter decides whether to send video from the rear, or either side mirror.

Easy to turn the "screws" with a quarter, and the module should be screwed down to plywood.
I recently returned from a trip in my ACE 30.3 and had the same problem. As the trip went on, the problem became less intermittent and more permanent. Yesterday afternoon, I removed the access panel over the steering wheel and found the switching module. All connections seemed to be secure, but to my surprise (maybe I shouldn't have been with all the quality control problems we read about) the box itself is not attached to anything, it is just laying there on a bunch of wires. I just closed it back up since I had to take it to the dealer this morning for some other work and decided to let them worry about it. This is extremely shoddy work. I intend to write the Thor CEO a letter outlining the number of issues I have had directly attributable to shoddy work and NO QC. Doubt it will do any good, but will make me feel better.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Atchley View Post

Like I say; there are some crazy smart people on this forum. I really think I have a handle on trouble shooting the camera's now.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #10

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Like I say; there are some crazy smart people on this forum. I really think I have a handle on trouble shooting the camera's now.
I will be interested to look inside my dash panel after I get mine back from the dealer to see if, in addition to fixing the problem, they also attach the switcher box to the plywood panel or just leave it laying loose like Thor did.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
My switch box was also loose inside the dash but it was still pretty secure in side there it's now sitting in a cabinet that's filled with parts that I've replaced on the motorhome I've added a new monitor on the dash so i dont have to use the radio screen

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:44 AM   #12

THOR #8503
How big is that cabinet?🤔
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704