Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2022, 11:56 PM   #1
KCP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #18659
Slide out motor wiring.

I’m getting a wiring short between controller and slide motor. Looking for location of wiring going to back motor on my 2017 Quantum.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:04 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The wiring harnesses run up under the slide on each side. They can be difficult to trace as they can run through the floor and walls.

There is a wiring harness running from the Controller to each motor. The harness plugs into the motor, which has its own 6" harness coming out of it with a connector.

The first thing to do is to check the top of the slide motors. You will need to pull back the bulb seal on the inside at the top of the wall with the slide closed. Then you can check the wiring going into the top of the motor.

There are times the slide motor can move and either pinch a wire there or even knock off the encoder at the top of the motor. Either will cause an error code on the Controller. You should also make sure the harness is plugged into the motor and Controller securely.

If you can't see anything obvious, you can try getting a long spare wiring harness and plug one end into the motor with the error and then run it out a window and plug it into the Controller to see if the error clears. If the error clears, then you know it is the actual harness and not the motor (or Controller).

I actually carry a 35' spare harness for troubleshooting or to get a slide in if a harness goes bad on the road.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also swap the two motor harnesses at the Controller to see if the error follows the cable or it stays with a specific motor. That can help you narrow it down to the actual harness or a problem with a motor.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:57 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The wiring can be inside a bulb seal on the side of the slide inside the coach. That’s where it was on the Challenger. The build seal served as a wire chase.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
KCP

State: Ohio
THOR #18659
My problem is the slide is out. It starts to come in then the back motor dies and throws the code.
It only comes in about an inch before it stops.
Can I get to the wiring with the slide out?
Old 06-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCP View Post
My problem is the slide is out. It starts to come in then the back motor dies and throws the code.
If the slide box trim is up against the wall and the bulb seal, you can't get to the motor or upper portion of the wiring harness.

You need to do the Electronic Manual Override. This should be the procedure but you need to make sure you Controller says C1 or C2 on it.

This will allow you to by pass the codes and retract the slide... assuming the motor is functional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 3.33.53 PM.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	38177  
Old 06-17-2022, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCP View Post
You may not have a short in the wire.
You may have a slide blockage and the controller doesn't know the difference between over current and a short.

What happens if you try to retract again from that point?

Try the Override procedure that Judge posted.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:11 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
There is a metal support fixture the runs from the bottom of the slide to near its top slide on the vertical walls surrounding the side itself. This fixture contains the track's rollers, the drive shaft, drive gears, motor and the wiring. These fixtures are accessible when the slide is closed or partially open. LCI rec comes the slide be opened about 6 inches before working on any part of the fixture.

The wiring on my bedroom slide runs under the bed around to the raised carpeted section of beside the slide. There is a wire clip (Adel) screwed into the carpet holding the wire before it goes into the chase in the vertical metal fixture. The fixture chase keeps the wire from chaffing on the track and getting caught in the slide wall gap.
The living room slide controller is in the center left side basement compartments and the wiring goes up through a grove in the wall into the metal chase.
LCI offers the wiring cables in 10 ft, 14, ft and 20 ft lengths. I think Thor MC Plant 750 only uses the 20 ft cables to there is lots of extra cable to get caught on something.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote