Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Something I never knew until I started damaging a cabinet & slide out trim, was the slide needs to be synced when you extend or retract all the way.

My previous rig req'd you let off the button when the slide reached all the way out or all the way in.

With my Thor 32.1, if I didn't sync, the slide would rub a cabinet with the slide trim. CW sawed the trim off twice. Then I found an article about sync.

Hold down the slide button until you hear the slide motors, whir?, then release, that syncs both motors. Do this both when extending & retracting.

Since then both slides extend/retract without rubbing anything.
Such a simple thing to do, but many new or uninformed owners don't know it.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #42

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post
Flashes green twice and then 8 red flashes

"Wire short between controller and motor"

Whatever that means ??
We just had the same situation. We're on the road, so we called a mobile RV tech who had it fixed in a jiffy - it was a broken wire to one of the motors. He fixed it quickly and for much less than I was expecting ($100 service call and $100 labor/repair - and that was in SoCal).
Old 01-07-2021, 04:30 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Texas
THOR #19813
Here's a YouTube that is long but may help if you have a Lippert Schwintech slide.

https://youtu.be/cxEYSstvICI
Old 01-07-2021, 05:34 AM   #44

State: New Mexico
THOR #17044
Here is the link to Thor motor coach slide out troubleshooting via YouTube. Thor has a pretty big assortment of troubleshooting videos. Additionally, YouTube will be your best buddy when talking RVs. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/0dIQp0h97xY
Old 01-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #45

State: Colorado
THOR #21338
Slide Trouble

Quote:
Hello Everybody,
just bought our frist RV ever - a 2019 Freedom Traveller A30

Picked it up in Buffalo, NY 2 days ago from a private seller and drove down to VA. Upon pick up the awning and the slide out did not work. Seller said it's probably due to being iced.

Back in VA and temperatures in the 60's today, the awning is working just fine. The slide out starts mowing just a little bit and then stops. I don't want to try it too many times as I am afraid, I could damage the motor.

Does anybody have an idea, what the problem could be ? Thank you so much
I have 2015 Thor 31W with a full wall slide. It started binding in the 2 nd year. It would start out and then the rear motor would slow down and stop. If I braced myself against the bathroom wall and pushed while my wife was on the switch, it would keep going and extend. To get it back in I would have to push on the outside while my wife was on the switch. The last time it required 2 men and a woman to get it back in. NOW he is at Camping World- they are replacing the track system to the tune of $4500. Make sure that you buy a Warranty / Service Agreement as this is an expensive fix.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #46
DWB

State: Missouri
THOR #20059
May not be your problem but I’ll share my experience. Slide would only move couple inches at a time. Called Thor and Schwintec and did all they suggested without luck. Replaced 2 motors no difference. My slides work Firefly touch screen control panel. For fun one night I tried th wireless app I have on my phone and the slide worked fine! So I decided it was the data cable from the touch screen to the electrical panel. I looked in the electrical panel and saw there were 4 ports to plug the data cable into. I plugged the cable into a different port and everything started working fine.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #47

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
May not be your problem but I’ll share my experience. Slide would only move couple inches at a time. Called Thor and Schwintec and did all they suggested without luck. Replaced 2 motors no difference. My slides work Firefly touch screen control panel. For fun one night I tried th wireless app I have on my phone and the slide worked fine! So I decided it was the data cable from the touch screen to the electrical panel. I looked in the electrical panel and saw there were 4 ports to plug the data cable into. I plugged the cable into a different port and everything started working fine.
To be clear the electrical panel is the power control center 120v/12v?

Are we talking about the 12v DC side?

I am having a similar issue, will try using the wireless app first.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #48
DWB

THOR #20059
What I’m calling the electrical panel Thorcalls control panel. Mine is At foot of bed next to fuse panel. Data cable on mine is orange on right side of panel. If like mine it will have the word Firefly on it.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #49

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
What I’m calling the electrical panel Thorcalls control panel. Mine is At foot of bed next to fuse panel. Data cable on mine is orange on right side of panel. If like mine it will have the word Firefly on it.
Mine uses BMPro system and not the Firefly system.

Still a good idea to see if there is any difference with the wireless app.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #50

State: California
THOR #20010
Additional Info

I have a Thor 29M with full wall slide. The controller is in the rear most driver-side storage cabinet. The wire connector sometimes gets disconnected when you put the power cable in or out. You might try that as it's easy.

The controller for the overhead bunk is in the cabinet above the driver. If it gets cocked, you disconnect one wire, move the bed, reconnect the wire, disconnect the other wire, move the bed, repeat until it is level.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #51

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Hello Everybody,
just bought our frist RV ever - a 2019 Freedom Traveller A30

Picked it up in Buffalo, NY 2 days ago from a private seller and drove down to VA. Upon pick up the awning and the slide out did not work. Seller said it's probably due to being iced.

Back in VA and temperatures in the 60's today, the awning is working just fine. The slide out starts mowing just a little bit and then stops. I don't want to try it too many times as I am afraid, I could damage the motor.

Does anybody have an idea, what the problem could be ? Thank you so much
I love the Freedom Travelers!! Would have bought the 27' but it had a queen size bed only, so we got a 2018 Windsport 29m. Sounds to me it just needs to be synchronized at the controller. Not sure where it's located on your coach but mine is in the back outside compartment on the drivers side. Call Thor Tech Support, they are fantastic!!!!! Good Luck; Bob Trice
Old 01-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #52

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Such a simple thing to do, but many new or uninformed owners don't know it.
My Thor manual tells me to hold the switch after extending or retracting for 3 to 5 seconds after the wall is fully in or out. So for the BR slide, the wall slide, and the bunk, I just count one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, and the release the switch. Never had a problem yet.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #53

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
My Thor manual tells me to hold the switch after extending or retracting for 3 to 5 seconds after the wall is fully in or out. So for the BR slide, the wall slide, and the bunk, I just count one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, and the release the switch. Never had a problem yet.
Yeah, I was told that too and do it EVERY TIME!!! To get it in sync, you have to hold down the button on the controller I think. There's a way to reset the controller, I just can't remember---SORRY
Old 01-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #54

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Yeah, I was told that too and do it EVERY TIME!!! To get it in sync, you have to hold down the button on the controller I think. There's a way to reset the controller, I just can't remember---SORRY
You can reset the controller by: removing power from the controller for 10 seconds, pressing the extend or retract switch twice in rapid succession, stalling both motors, pressing the mode button on the controller.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:56 AM   #55
DWB

THOR #20059
Schwintec has a video on syncing slides.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #56

Brand: Entegra
Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
Quote:
update #2:

switched the cables on the controller and guess what

Both sides/motors are running. Only minor thing is that I have to press "Retract" to extend the slide and "Extend" to bring the slide in. Nothing what would bother me

Again - THANK YOU very very much - I appreciate the help givin' to a newbie
After a few days on the road, I can extend the slide just fine. A day or two later, I keep getting the same error code ( 2 green flashes, 8 red flashes ) and slide is not moving in. If I reset the controller, slide moves in just fine. Remember: I switched cables on the controller ( Motor 1 to Motor 2 and Motor 2 to Motor 1 ). As I still get the same error code as in the beginning ( 2 green flashes ) I would guess the controller is the issue, not the motor. Should I order a new controller and see if that solves the problem ? What would you do ?
Thank you
Old 01-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #57

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
After a few days on the road, I can extend the slide just fine. A day or two later, I keep getting the same error code ( 2 green flashes, 8 red flashes ) and slide is not moving in. If I reset the controller, slide moves in just fine. Remember: I switched cables on the controller ( Motor 1 to Motor 2 and Motor 2 to Motor 1 ). As I still get the same error code as in the beginning ( 2 green flashes ) I would guess the controller is the issue, not the motor. Should I order a new controller and see if that solves the problem ? What would you do ?
Thank you
The controller does not distinguish between the Hall effect power and sense wires of the different motors. All it knows is there are not the pulses coming into the controller or power is not getting to the sensors. The Hall effect sensor is separate from the motor but on the same shaft. It uses a coil and a tone ring to generate amperage pulses. The controller uses a comparison of these signals to lower the voltage on the motor that is rotating too fast. You can reset the controller several ways; one way is to remove power from the controller or press the extend or retract twice in rapid succession. Anytime your slide stops unintentionally, you can put the controller into the emergency override mode to move the slide unless a motor not working. The problem is emergency override inactivates all the controllers safety features and its use can damage the slide and the motors.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote