Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #627
Steps won't retract

Ready to go, and the steps on our 2013 hurricane won't retract. What can we do? First thought was it might be a fuse, but we don't know where the fuse box is, or if we did we forgot. We are so very very new at this. We have good Sam road service as well as AAA for RV, and extended warranty. Any help / advice is appreciated.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I don't know what the fix is, but if you have Good Sam, you might just as well try them out, unless you have an RV service close by.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #3

Model: Daybreak
State: New Hampshire
THOR #673
If the over ride switch is on they won't retract unless off or if you start the engine.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #4

State: New Jersey
THOR #704
There's a fuse located in the front on the Electrical center. I've been reading that they've been going bad.

For what it's worth,

My drive went bad and my steps just started swinging in the breeze. I went to AutoZone and bought a Ford electric window motor for $45 and it was a direct replacement. All I had to do was swap out the plug!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Model: Damon Daybreak 3207
State: England
THOR #717
my magnet went weak and wouldnt operate the reed switch. Got on for a kitchen door at diy store.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

State: Virginia
THOR #1055
On my 2005 Four Winds, there was a DC circuit breaker that was tripped that prevented my step from operating (I believe). The breaker was located in plain view underneath the foot of the bed near the fuse panel/converter. A small black pin was protruding from the breaker, and while troubleshooting, I reset that pin. I was working on fixing several loose wiring issues, so I am assuming that this breaker was the culprit on the nonworking step.

I also discovered that the step has a manual override that would require an adjustable wrench to put on the square shaft. Presumably, that shaft turns the gearbox, which operates the step.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

Model: Outlaw
State: Arizona
THOR #1023
On my Outlaw, the fuse is located inside the engine compartment on the upper right side. There is a black plastic cover with a white sticker that warns about disconnecting the battery before removing it I think, and there are several wires hanging down in front of it.

The fuse is in spot F23 and is 20 amps. It is a little difficult to find at first. Make sure the new fuse is seated properly. On my unit, the fuse was not seated properly between the contacts and this caused it to blow. The tech actually had to force the contacts on one side open with a small flat-head screwdriver to get the fuse to go in. If this is a constant issue, you can also look into a self-resetting fuse.

Good luck!