Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24F
State: California
THOR #17796
Water collecting in ceiling light - Chateau 24F

Just purchased a 2019 Chateau 24F one week ago, and brand new to RVing.
There is a little water collection in the ceiling light just in front of the fridge.

When I remove the light I can see daylight up through a hole in the insulation, and then through a white vent in the roof (360 siphon). There is also another "360 siphon" vent above the light in the bathroom, but with that one there is no hole through the insulation.

There is a 3rd vent near the rear that is above the wall between the bathroom and bedroom which I suspect is a breather for the black water tank (I think that is what these vents are designed for)

Does any one know what the purpose of the 2 vents above the lights are? Photos attached I hope!
Thanks for any help, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	22160   Click image for larger version

Name:	roofvents1&2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	22161  

Name:	roofvents3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	22162  

Old 01-12-2020, 02:50 AM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Greetings and Welcome

Hope you get better remarks about the holes, light and roof than I would make .

I would have at the dealer Monday morning.

Sorry for my bad mood
Welcome to the forum

I'm curious what's in the picture?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200111_204704.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	22167  
Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with your coach but this is very strange.
Of course these plumbing vents (360 style or the cap style) are intended to be mounted over a plumbing pipe stack (black or grey tank vent pipe stacks specifically). This situation almost looks like a factory goof (not sure if 360 style vents are factory supplied typically or not on new rigs), where the stack roof opening was made in the wrong place and someone stuck this 360 vent over the roof hole. Of course some rain/water can still penetrate the vent screens on top and without an actual plumbing pipe stack there.....the water is going to get into the roof space. You definitely want to get this resolved ASAP by having all vents inspected and confirmed correctly installed.....over an appropriate plumbing vent pipe stack. In the mean time, you need to prevent any further water getting in through this vent screen. If the others are legitimate plumbing stacks then you don’t want to block them off.......you can usually use the quick smell test (while on the roof) to verify they are actually connected to your holding tanks.
It would also be worth contacting Thor with your pictures and obtain a plumbing diagram from them which shows where the factory stacks are “normally” located on your roof. If this is a “normal” location, the next question is where is the plumbing stack? It will be interesting to know what has happened here.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with your coach but this is very strange.
Of course these plumbing vents (360 style or the cap style) are intended to be mounted over a plumbing pipe stack (black or grey tank vent pipe stacks specifically). This situation almost looks like a factory goof (not sure if 360 style vents are factory supplied typically or not on new rigs), where the stack roof opening was made in the wrong place and someone stuck this 360 vent over the roof hole. Of course some rain/water can still penetrate the vent screens on top and without an actual plumbing pipe stack there.....the water is going to get into the roof space. You definitely want to get this resolved asap by having all vents inspected and confirmed correctly installed.....over an appropriate plumbing vent pipe stack. In the mean time, you need to prevent any further water getting in through this vent screen. If the others are legitimate plumbing stacks then you don’t want to block them off.......you can usually use the quick smell test (while on the roof) to verify they are actually connected to your holding tanks.
It would also be worth contacting thor with your pictures and obtain a plumbing diagram from them which shows where the factory stacks are “normally” located on your roof. If this is a “normal” location, the next question is where is the plumbing stack? It will be interesting to know what has happened here.

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	22170
Old 01-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #5

THOR #14658
The thing in the picture is the solar panel quick connect.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #6

THOR #17796
Many thanks for the comments, and good to have what I suspected confirmed about the vent - will investigate further and report back.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
In my case, water collected in an overhead light due to the AC unit mounting bolts being loose. Easy to remove the ceiling grille(s) to check. While at that, consider making the AC airflow improvement. Do a search for details.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:42 PM   #8

THOR #17796
Further update - I managed to remove the caps off all 3 vents. The one at the rear and the one towards the side both connect to breather pipes - Black water and grey water based on the smell test. However the 3rd is just a hole! It did have a TV co-ax cable tucked in it, so as suggested this is probably a mistake at the factory that they decided to cover up with a vent! With the top removed it should be pretty easy to cap it for a good seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rv_vent_nopipe.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	22179   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent2_pipe.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	22180  

Name:	vent3_pipe.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	22181  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by markevans View Post
Further update - I managed to remove the caps off all 3 vents. The one at the rear and the one towards the side both connect to breather pipes - Black water and grey water based on the smell test. However the 3rd is just a hole! It did have a TV co-ax cable tucked in it, so as suggested this is probably a mistake at the factory that they decided to cover up with a vent! With the top removed it should be pretty easy to cap it for a good seal.
Putting the coax for the roof mounted satellite dish in this is normal not the kind used on your mh.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22-0496-2T.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	22183  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #10

THOR #17796
Spoke to Thor this morning - they confirmed it is for an optional satellite dish, but didnt explain why they used a plumbing vent!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #11

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Thanks for posting an update on your situation. I agree with poster abjbrtd that the 360 style vent cap was not a great choice for a sat cable rough in (assuming that was factory installed). I would think there would be something better available (cap style; also as noted) with a moulded in cap label on it at least.......but I assume it comes down to cost/profit ratio in the end. Glad you noticed your water in the light fixture and are doing something about it before serious long term water damage can result.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #12

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Welcome to the forum. You will find some factory defects in the first year we sure did and questioned our decision but after all fixed we love it.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #13

THOR #17796
Just to complete the post in case anyone reviews this in future, final fix was a 2" PVC pipe cap from Homedepot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	22255  
Old 01-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #14

THOR #8139
Did you show Thor, I can just see their reaction "duh now why didn't we think of that"