Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2020, 11:05 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Ohio
Posts: 7
THOR #6133
I had a 2017 Thor ACE. I had to replace 4 slide motors during that ownership. Every time, and I mean every time the motor failure was caused by a screw head from the Schwintek rail. Thor uses self tapping screws to attach those rails and they have a tendency to work loose. If they move out far enough the motor will catch one and bend the head and screw up the motor. If you hear any type of crunch or unusual noise when you are putting the slide in or out stop immediately! Check the rails for any kind of abrasion or bending of the screw head. Remove it. Check all of the screws ASAP. I found that half of them were loose. After this happened a third time I removed all the screws and replaced them with Stainless Steel screws and loctite. The next year I got lazy and didn't check the screws and sure enough when I was in Wyoming this year, I heard a crunch, the slide would not move. Looked at the rails and there was a bent screw head. One that I had loctited in. I was able to get the slide half way in, drove it to Salt Lake City and traded it in on a new coach.
I told them at General RV I would never buy a coach with a full wall slide again. Fell in love with a Miramar and bought it. Of course it has a full wall slide and one of the rail screws had a bent head. I had them replace it. I am definitely a glutton for punishment. We'll see.

__________________
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:09 AM   #22
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport J34
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #17915
I don't blame you the layout is just so much better with full wall slide out!

I did try to location where was the noise coming from but could not find anything.

Is it possible for you to show us where is the screw we need looking for ? A picture will be great!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I had a 2017 Thor ACE. I had to replace 4 slide motors during that ownership. Every time, and I mean every time the motor failure was caused by a screw head from the Schwintek rail. Thor uses self tapping screws to attach those rails and they have a tendency to work loose. If they move out far enough the motor will catch one and bend the head and screw up the motor. If you hear any type of crunch or unusual noise when you are putting the slide in or out stop immediately! Check the rails for any kind of abrasion or bending of the screw head. Remove it. Check all of the screws ASAP. I found that half of them were loose. After this happened a third time I removed all the screws and replaced them with Stainless Steel screws and loctite. The next year I got lazy and didn't check the screws and sure enough when I was in Wyoming this year, I heard a crunch, the slide would not move. Looked at the rails and there was a bent screw head. One that I had loctited in. I was able to get the slide half way in, drove it to Salt Lake City and traded it in on a new coach.
I told them at General RV I would never buy a coach with a full wall slide again. Fell in love with a Miramar and bought it. Of course it has a full wall slide and one of the rail screws had a bent head. I had them replace it. I am definitely a glutton for punishment. We'll see.
__________________
johnxhc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:05 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
Posts: 359
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
Thanks! It is Jenks lake in San Bernardo National forest in Southern California, I camped 10 minutes away at Barton Flats Campground.
I grew up not 20 miles from there. Left in the 70's when you couldn't see the mountains from the valley in the summer. The smog was awful.
__________________
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Yvonnemarc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 441
THOR #8180
One of the key points my sales guy stressed. Never use the slide unless you are level!! ...and this is a prime example why.
Of course Iíd be quiet of that fact when you Institute the warranty. Not leveling the coach could be considered owner negligence and Iím sure that clause is in the warranty agreement.
__________________
USN - RETIRED NUKE
Taunton, MA
Yvonnemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:02 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Ohio
Posts: 7
THOR #6133
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...0&d=1524788285
This is a link to the original discussion we had about this. Pictures included
__________________
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:56 AM   #26
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 9,770
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...0&d=1524788285
This is a link to the original discussion we had about this. Pictures included
Nope: that's a link to an attachment (picture) of the dual tracks.

Try again.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:01 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Ohio
Posts: 7
THOR #6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Nope: that's a link to an attachment (picture) of the dual tracks.

Try again.
And that is exactly the problem area I was describing. Those screw heads have been the culprit each time I had a slide motor problem. What pictures would you like to see? Maybe you are on the wrong forum.
__________________
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:03 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,367
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
I grew up not 20 miles from there. Left in the 70's when you couldn't see the mountains from the valley in the summer. The smog was awful.
It is much better now as far as smog is concerned. What is not better since the 70s is that there are too many people inundating the visitor spots of the forest with little concern as far as parking, trash, crap, etc. It was better back in the 70s with the smog.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
Posts: 359
THOR #19133
My parents still live there, just east of SB.We visit on occasion and see the differences. We also see the congestion and the crime and the crowding. No thanks. I'll stay east of the Rockies.
__________________
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #30
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport J34
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #17915
Bruno,
Got it.
Thank you very much!
I will check that every time I use the slide out from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...0&d=1524788285
This is a link to the original discussion we had about this. Pictures included
__________________
johnxhc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
Posts: 223
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
Yes, I guess it must be 100% leveled.

I just level it by visual and bathroom door. maybe that is not enough
One of the beauties of leveling jacks. Plus have engine runnung when using jacks and slides.

I was going to suggest you could drive it (slowly and carefully) with the slide out only a foot or so. I had to do that with my (smaller) rear slide when it stuck out at my house after the RV shop failed to recalibrate after repair. Fortunately the big slide stuck in so I could get out my gate (just). Only had to drive about 20 miles on low traffic road.
__________________
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
Posts: 223
THOR #17441
Some posts here claim their manufacturer says slide before leveling with full wall slide. Doesn’t make sense to me but they claim to have checked with manufacturer.

I’d still level first and then relevel after slide is out if needed.
__________________
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
Posts: 3
THOR #17043
Really !

I was just reading a few of the comments on the individual who couldn’t get the slide back in and it was sideways. It really upset me was the senior individuals comment that it was glad to see a real problem that they could address. Instead of some whining about Sawdust behind the hot water heater. What right do you have criticize or minimize other peoples problems you’re supposed to be there to help people not criticize and make small of their issues. Not everybody is a super mechanic or knows how to fix the small things or knows what to expect from the poor manufacturer of Thor
__________________
Teacher53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
Posts: 179
THOR #13025
That looks like the schwintek three track system. If the top is out farther than the bottom, it had to jump some gears. If that is the case, the gears that ride in the tracks will have to be disengaged from the slide and reinstalled. There will probably be some gear damage, good luck.
__________________
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #35
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 9,770
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher53 View Post
I was just reading a few of the comments on the individual who couldnít get the slide back in and it was sideways. It really upset me was the senior individuals comment that it was glad to see a real problem that they could address. Instead of some whining about Sawdust behind the hot water heater. What right do you have criticize or minimize other peoples problems youíre supposed to be there to help people not criticize and make small of their issues. Not everybody is a super mechanic or knows how to fix the small things or knows what to expect from the poor manufacturer of Thor
If you feel a post has violated our Community Guidelines please use the red triangle to the left of each post to report it to the Site Team for investigation and action. Being a "Senior Member" doesn't necessarily mean they have a lot of knowledge or couth and we like to keep things on the pleasant side around here. even in heated discussions and debates.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:18 AM   #36
Cpd
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
THOR #14097
We had the problem on our 2018 thor freedom elite 30fe. Turned out to be the shwintek( not sure on that spelling) AND the knotheads left to rollers off during production. Its mostly fixed except they believe the wall or floor is warped do we have to do a manual operation. Working with thor to get it fixed completely.
__________________
Cpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:38 AM   #37
MLP
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 587
THOR #17478
I have a THOR Palazzo 33.2 very long heavy slide. Since I previously owned a fifth wheel, I always leveled. Took it on one trip after purchase and the slide started to pop. You guessed it, the gear drives were chewing through the top the the aluminum gear rails. $4100.00 and four months later we got it back. COVID-19 shutdown, wrong size parts sent, and one part not sent had a lot to do with the time it took. Turns out Swintech designed the inner frame too weak. It was redesigned and beefed up. And it sure was. RVIA/RVDA certified technicians did the work.
__________________
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:06 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 258
THOR #1287
Pictures please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I have a THOR Palazzo 33.2 very long heavy slide. Since I previously owned a fifth wheel, I always leveled. Took it on one trip after purchase and the slide started to pop. You guessed it, the gear drives were chewing through the top the the aluminum gear rails. $4100.00 and four months later we got it back. COVID-19 shutdown, wrong size parts sent, and one part not sent had a lot to do with the time it took. Turns out Swintech designed the inner frame too weak. It was redesigned and beefed up. And it sure was. RVIA/RVDA certified technicians did the work.
Would love to see pictures of the redesigned and beefed up slide system.
__________________
ArrrV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #39
MLP
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 587
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Would love to see pictures of the redesigned and beefed up slide system.

It is now in the shop for maintenance. I should have taken pictures when the slide was out. This is the inner frame. Metal frame is a much heaver gauge so it should not bend over time.
__________________
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
Posts: 10
THOR #1380
I am no fan of these Schwintec slide systems. I have a 2012 Thor Hurricane and we have had to replace the entire rails and motor's twice in two years. Thankfully our extended warranty took care of the largest portion of the costs. Every time we pull in the slide I hold my breath. Believe me, I know the codes, I know the reset timing, done that many times. We are meticulous about making sure the coach is level and I mean level. It is not a good system. If we decide to buy another rig in the future the first thing I'm looking for is the slide mechanism.
__________________
Wilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide out stuck, tilted

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2