Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport J34
State: California
THOR #17915
slide out stuck in national forest

From two days ago, I started to hear some noise when I use my slide, I was going to take it to the repair shop when I am done with my trip.
But unfortunately, it stopped working today, the motor is still running and can only move the slide back and forth 4-5 inches, but that is about it, it won't move any further.
So it looks like the electrical system is functional (I tried a few thing LCI recommended, no use, one suggest to disconnect the electric and push it in by hand,s the slide out is almost 28 feet long! it is not moving at all!)
The top of the slide(only on one side) is tilted to outside at a angle, at lease 4-5" from the the bottom, (please see attached picture). other side looks OK, it feels like the slide is stuck on something, but I checked inside many times and there is nothing there.

I will call LCI tomorrow but if anyone has any inside, I will really appreciate it.

2017 Thor Windsport J34.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_193213.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	24702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_193246.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	24703  

Name:	20200707_193232.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	24704   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_193227.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	24705  

Old 07-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
It is possible that the motor and drive gear is not making contact with the track if you can hear the motor running but nothing is happening.

If you have access to a ladder you could pull the rubber seal back to see if the motor came loose from a bolt backing out or there is a problem with the dive gear.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you checked to see if the slide controller is flashing a code? A 2017 I assume is no longer under warranty. Are there any mobile techs in the area where you are?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post

.....cut.....
The top of the slide(only on one side) is tilted to outside at a angle, at lease 4-5" from the the bottom, (please see attached picture). other side looks OK, it feels like the slide is stuck on something, but I checked inside many times and there is nothing there. .....cut......
At each end of the slide, the top and bottom are mechanically synchronized by one common shaft driven by one motor, so getting stuck may overload the motor at that end, but would not make it tilt that much unless there is also a mechanical failure. I’m not saying the problem may have not originated by getting stuck, but now the problem looks more involved.

Do you see any signs of gear teeth on racks that are worn off or broken? I’d start with a quick visual there, but expect you’ll need assistance to repair. That’s indeed a heavy slide to move manually unless you have a lot of people.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F822C13C-001D-4218-8419-3739F507EDE5.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	24706  
Old 07-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 34J
State: North Carolina
THOR #10018
Had the same problem with my 34J. Had to rebuild that track on that end. Have someone push that side in as you retract that is what I did.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
when the slide is off from front to back, or vice versa, your 'syncing' will resolve that...

BUT...

unfortunately, when the slide is off from TOP to BOTTOM, there is no 'fix, other than a new or rebuilt Gear Column, since the gear has 'jumped' some rail teeth and cannot be 'moved' only so far before it binds - which is why the motors are then stopping.

Happened to us in late '15, just as our warranty was about to run it's course. Called Thor, they scheduled us a visit to the Service Center in Wakarusa, for several months later, and they handled it easily in a single day - worked perfectly for 50,000 miles or more since.

(by the way, we could only get the bottom rear of the slide in to about 2-3" of flush, but drove that way to California from Georgia, before off to the service center for repairs - it was no problem.)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

THOR #17915
According to Thor, it was a structure problem and suggested me to get a repair guy.

On the phone with LCI for 30 minute and tried a few things and didn't work. They believed it was a motor problem and suggested me to disconnect the motor on both end and push it in by hand.

I didn't have access to a ladder, drove my SUV close and stood on top of it, removed one screw and couldn't even find out where was the motor. Even I have access to ladder and remove both motors, I have zero confidence I will be able to push it in with my DW.

Made more than 40 calls, most mobile repairs are booked for 2 weeks or more.
Finally got one guy willing to come to San Bernadino national forest for $450.00 to push the slide in for me.

He will be at Campground in one hour and half

Stay tuned...
Old 07-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You chose the best course of action.
Calling someone with (hopefully) experience.

Some will say you gave up, I'll say you wised up.

My roadside assistance (I'm not sure which one, maybe my extended warranty) has some catastrophic clause, paying for a day or two of something somehow if the rv breaks.
I'm not sure, but you might want to take a look.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:07 AM   #9

THOR #17915
For me it is a real no brainier and although I consider myself handy I do know my limits

While waiting for them, I went to Jenks lake with my family for 4 hours walk,picnic and relaxing (attached), and went back to Campground when they arrived.

It took two professional guys two hours to push it in. They went over the roof, opened the weather seal, disconnected the motors and reconnected the motors, pushed the slide on track.... I also have to help them to push the slide control when both of them working
I don't believe I can do it for one month

They didn't push it by hand, they just correct the slide,track etc and use the motors to push the slide in.

The bottom line:
A lot of things are damaged, the track, the support, motor etc...

According to them, Thor is using the same hardware metal used for 10' slide out on my 29' slide, it is just not strong enough and it is badly designed.
It was the 3rd time they have to do this in 3 weeks.

It will be very expensive to fix it,but I do have extended warranty, it is suppose to cover those areas. But they don't cover this service call.

Now I can continue enjoying my stay here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

My roadside assistance (I'm not sure which one, maybe my extended warranty) has some catastrophic clause, paying for a day or two of something somehow if the rv breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200708_162713.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	24721   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_142603.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	24722  

Name:	20200708_120206.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	24723   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_180501.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	24724  

Old 07-09-2020, 01:16 AM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I'm proud to have you here.
Your posts today has balanced out ssssoooo many whiny posts I've read.

We need this thread to be a sticky we can use it as a meme to point the chronic 'I found sawdust behind my water tank... I am devastated' crowd.

Asked for help, posted pics for reference, realized limitations, called a pro, had a fine time, paid the due, have the warranty, kept us informed, told us the detailed steps in the cure, followed through with his OP to the end with pics and great detail, and will make do for the trip balance... Damn!

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:42 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm glad to see that an extended warranty will take care of the financial "heavy lifting" for you.
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Thanks for all of the information and the updates! Glad you got the slide in and could still enjoy vacation.

It is a little disconcerting to hear the techs say the hardware was not designed to handle a slide of that size. I have a similar size slide on my 2020 Magnitude so I will be making sure to listen for the start of any issues as I extend and retract my slide over time.

I saw from your picture you have the 3Trax slide system like I do. They were supposed to be designed for large slides but apparently they are not designed as rugged as they could be.

I have a couple adjustable slide supports from my last coach but haven't used them yet with the Magnitude. I felt like the slide does not extend very far so torquing would not be as much of a problem. I may think about trying the slide supports when I am on a solid pad next time.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When you're talking about a 28' wall-slide: perhaps they need to go to a "4-Trax" setup
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Glad you made the right decision and it worked out. Hopefully the repair will be done without issue.

Paul
Old 07-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 34J
State: North Carolina
THOR #10018
When I had the same problem with my 34J LCI was great to work with. Provided all parts for the repair at no charge even though I was a year and a half out of warranty. Good people.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #16

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
That's a very pretty place you camped at.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #17

THOR #17915
Thank you! Slide support is definitely a good idea! I never thought about that. I will definitely get those when I have mine fixed!

I make quite a few calls to the RV repair shop, almost everyone told me that the new slide out has design issue. For mine, most track teeth are already worn out! and it is made of aluminum instead of steel! one shop will only give me 90 days warranty after the repair because of bad design & material
They told me the old slide out is way better.

One thing they told me is you need to make the RV level before you push out the slide out. If make a lot of sense given the material they use on the slide out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks for all of the information and the updates! Glad you got the slide in and could still enjoy vacation.

It is a little disconcerting to hear the techs say the hardware was not designed to handle a slide of that size. I have a similar size slide on my 2020 Magnitude so I will be making sure to listen for the start of any issues as I extend and retract my slide over time.

I saw from your picture you have the 3Trax slide system like I do. They were supposed to be designed for large slides but apparently they are not designed as rugged as they could be.

I have a couple adjustable slide supports from my last coach but haven't used them yet with the Magnitude. I felt like the slide does not extend very far so torquing would not be as much of a problem. I may think about trying the slide supports when I am on a solid pad next time.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:35 AM   #18

THOR #17915
Thanks! It is Jenks lake in San Bernardo National forest in Southern California, I camped 10 minutes away at Barton Flats Campground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
That's a very pretty place you camped at.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
Reason #1 why I rarely extend the slide on my RV and why we bought a model that was perfectly useable without extension..

Glad you’re getting fixed up by the pros...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
One thing they told me is you need to make the RV level before you push out the slide out. If make a lot of sense given the material they use on the slide out.
Not meaning to be a Richard Cranium, but this has been in every owners manual I’ve ever read. Unit must be level before slide extension. In some cases the unit may need additional leveling once the slides are extended...
You may have caused your own problems....
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #20

THOR #17915
Yes, I guess it must be 100% leveled.

I just level it by visual and bathroom door. maybe that is not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Reason #1 why I rarely extend the slide on my RV and why we bought a model that was perfectly useable without extension..

Glad you’re getting fixed up by the pros...

Not meaning to be a Richard Cranium, but this has been in every owners manual I’ve ever read. Unit must be level before slide extension. In some cases the unit may need additional leveling once the slides are extended...
You may have caused your own problems....

Tags
slide out stuck, tilted