Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2022, 05:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Slide and Overhead Bunk Stop Working with Switch

Issue: Slides or overhead bunk do not operate when using the switch on the wall. Porch light and awning work fine.

Workaround: Operate slides with Rapid Camp control. If bunk is not tied into rapid camp, it will remain inoperable.

Solution: Check/replace blown 5A fuse on the Rapid Camp module (most likely located under your bed behind your 12v fuse panel and your 120 breaker box.

Alternate Issue: Bunk, slides, awning, porch, and Rapid camp does not work.

Alternate Solution: Check a 15A fuse in your 12v fuse panel that you can access on the side of your bed. The fuse was labelled "awning". If this fuse is blown, when you replace it you will hear an audible click from your Rapid Camp module and all your functions will work.

Detailed story:

I have a 2017 Thor Miramar 34.4 with the smaller Rapid Camp module that controls my porch light, awning, generator, and both of my slides. I found out recently that I was unable to retract my slides after being camped in sunny Florida for the past month. I turned on my Rapid Camp controller (which, I never use) and found that I could operate the slides with the Rapid Camp only. I also found out that my overhead bunk was inoperable when using that switch as well. The awning and porch light work with no issues. I can even turn on the generator using the wall switches.

After doing some searching around on the forums, I stumbled onto this post which pointed me to the Rapid Camp system.

After working with Thor tech support and Lippert, I gained a much better understanding of how the Rapid camp module was tied into the coach and how it works. After using a multimeter to test the switch ports on the module, I discovered that I did not have voltage the rapid camp board from switch port 2 where the orange/black wire was connected to both slide switches and the overhead bunk. I also validated that at the switches that there was no voltage coming from the orange/black wire there as well. The circuit uses a 5A fuse on the rapid camp control board itself. The fuse that blew for me was in the bank of two fuses. This is not the fuse panel bolted to the bed, this is ON the rapid camp control board itself.

In the process of troubleshooting, I blew a 15A fuse on my main 12v fuse panel. Lesson learned, do not use a flat head screwdriver to pry relays apart. This is how I learned that the fuse disables the Rapid Camp which kills your ability to use your awning at all. Interesting enough, the 15A fuse is labelled as "awning" which is true-ish, but it should be labeled "rapid camp/awning" since the rapid camp needs to have power to operate the awning.

On the rapid camp module there is a bank of (4) fuses. In the Miramar 34.4 there is a 20A on 1 and a 5A on 2. You would expect that these would correlate with the switch ports on the side. When troubleshooting with Thor, they had me check both of those fuses and they were good. We totally skipped the bank of (2) fuses in the process. I found this out the next day after this issue has been nagging at me non-stop.

I'll attach a diagram of the Rapid camp wiring diagram to the post below. I'm sharing this to hopefully help alleviate a headache for another owner down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC_Wiring Schmatic_Hurricane_Windsport_Miramar.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	40214  

RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Thanks for the very detailed information Russ! Glad to hear the problem was resolved. That schematic might be helpful to others as well.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Thanks for the very detailed information Russ! Glad to hear the problem was resolved. That schematic might be helpful to others as well.
Of course! I am glad to share the information as I was scouring the forums myself looking for a fix.

- Russ KJ4SLR
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote