Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2020, 04:55 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Slide problem

So I opened the slide today. It went out about 6" then everything stopped. Slide motors just stopped. No weird sounds, no grinding when it moved

I pulled the slide back in. Motors worked fine. Then put slide out and it went all the way as it should.

I'm plugged into power so the battery shouldn't be the problem

Just thought it was a fluke. Later this afternoon brought the slide in no problem. Put it out and it stopped again. Back in fine and then all the way out fine

What do you guys think is causing this???

I checked the control box and no flashing lights.

I sure would hate for the slide to die out on our upcoming 2 month trip .

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:13 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
That sux! You said motors sound alright. Just a guess something intermittent in the controller?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:19 AM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
When the full slide on our ws31 quit working one end was dead. It was only going out on one end. The motor was bad. This probably doesn't help you at all. :O
Old 03-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Is it going out evenly or is one side outrunning the other?

I had mine stop on the way in a couple of weeks ago because one side was dragging and the slide cocked. putting it back out a little and then coming back in resolved it but on the next cycle it did it again. I retimed it and then extended it and lubed it per the original Lippert instructions. Haven't had a problem since and its been cycled at least a dozen times.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
So I opened the slide today. It went out about 6" then everything stopped. Slide motors just stopped. No weird sounds, no grinding when it moved

I pulled the slide back in. Motors worked fine. Then put slide out and it went all the way as it should.

Just thought it was a fluke. Later this afternoon brought the slide in no problem. Put it out and it stopped again. Back in fine and then all the way out fine

Jerry
If the slide stops partially in or out, the controller will flash a code for its stopping. Pressing the button again resets the controller and the code will not be displayed. Usually intermittent stopping is a frayed control cable or a failing Hall effect sensor.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

I had mine stop on the way in a couple of weeks ago because one side was dragging and the slide cocked. putting it back out a little and then coming back in resolved it but on the next cycle it did it again. I retimed it and then extended it and lubed it per the original Lippert instructions. Haven't had a problem since and its been cycled at least a dozen times.
I dont think it was coming out uneven but it is a possibility.

I'll resync it. I already lubed it yesterday but left it out. Slide has to be out for a week. So next monday I'll try it and see what happens

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #7

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Are you familiar with procedure to manually open/close the slide?
Old 03-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #8

Model: 34J
THOR #15649
What is the amp rating of the shore power? As noted by others generally when the slide stops there will be a code on the controller. I have heard of slides having issues even on shore power if batteries need to be replaced. Are your batteries in good shape?

I would be interested for you to run it out with generator running should your shore power only be 15 amps
Old 03-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #9

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
If you have slide toppers, the release lever could have bound up on that first operation and released when the operation was reversed. Might want to check it to make sure that the lever set screws are tight. (Had it happen to me)
Old 03-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
I should add, for those not familiar with this, that the slide topper has a lever that is normally in an unlatched position that allows free rotation of the slide roller in and out. Just like the larger manually operated awnings, the same type latch is used to lock and unlock the awnings so they don't open while driving and so they will latch when opened. On the topper, if the latch gets caught on something or if the set screw is loose, it may wiggle into a position where it will catch on something. When that happens, the slide topper will not open any more and it WILL prevent further opening of the slide. The motors sense high current and react as if the end limit has been reached. Hence, it will close just fine because the latch that was caught will reverse direction also and function normally to close. The latch/lever can be seen on one end of the roller.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:01 AM   #11

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnabernal View Post
What is the amp rating of the shore power? As noted by others generally when the slide stops there will be a code on the controller. I have heard of slides having issues even on shore power if batteries need to be replaced. Are your batteries in good shape?

I would be interested for you to run it out with generator running should your shore power only be 15 amps
My mh is a 30 amp rig and Im plugged into 30 amp at my house. SO amps shouldn't be a problem. I still have the original batteries. Being plugged in to the house my gauges say they are 13.2. Guess I can disconnect and then check them to see. Its possible they are going bad. 4 year with the stock batteries is pretty good.

I wont be able to work on this til next week. When I do Ill have someone move them out and Ill get on the floor to see if I can hear something out of wack or see if they are moving out of sync. Also if it stops Ill check the controller before bringing it back in.

Cant work on it til next week because Im actually working. Took a job this week to work at the Fred Hall fishing show. For those who don't know its the biggest fishing show in Ca. I working for Daiwa. Today was first day building the displays. THe show starts tomorrow and goes til Sunday.

After working today I realized I love being retired Working for the fun and love of fishing.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-04-2020, 01:30 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnabernal View Post

The two slide motors only pull about 10 DC amps when moving the slide. Shore power capacity should not be an issue.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #13

State: Arkansas
THOR #11577
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Are their instructions on how to retime the slides? I have a forest river Sierra RDOK 2012
Old 03-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
Are their instructions on how to retime the slides? I have a forest river Sierra RDOK 2012
Old 03-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
Does your Forset River have Schwintek slides? The Forest River SunSeeker we had a number of years ago did not use Schwintek for the slides and the Schwintek timing procedure would not work on those slides.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post

Jerry
Are you holding the in/out slide button for 4 or 5 seconds after the slide has reached the in/out max? If not, do it when it goes back out again. Let me know.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #17

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
If you have the schwintek system you may need to re sync the motors.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Can someone comment on the procedure to manually retract the slide? I'm not having an issue, but was curious for future reference.

Dan
Old 03-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #19

State: South Dakota
THOR #9662
Which motor?

Can I assume the really large full wall slides use the 500:1 motor. I want to order a spare after going thru the thread

Thanks
Old 03-11-2020, 08:30 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Can I assume the really large full wall slides use the 500:1 motor. I want to order a spare after going thru the thread

Thanks
No, you can't make that assumption. You need to see the number on an existing motor to know what you have.