Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #8469
Slide Problems

My slide out will not retract completely at the top front corner. About 3/4" in still out compared to the bottom corner. All other corners are fully retracted and sealed. I a have a Lippert slide mechanism. I have downloaded the manual an attempted to make adjustments. I am very mechanical and can usually solve problems like this but this one has me stumped.

The slide moves fairly smooth as it is being retracted. With about 3-5" before fully retracted the slide tilts upward slightly before coming to a stop. Attached are pictures starting with the Top Front showing the gap and then the other 3 corners.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
RJeanes

Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #2

THOR #8469
I was not able to post pictures.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Did you check the top of the slide to make sure something didn't get in there?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

THOR #8469
Yes, I checked the top of the slide and there is nothing obstructing it there.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #5

THOR #5477
Did you hold the toggle switch down 10-15 seconds after slide was in?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #6

THOR #8469
I just gave holding the button in an additional 15 seconds a try. The slide did not move any further in.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #7

THOR #5477
Put it all the way out holding the switch for 10-15 seconds after it is out then bring it in the same way. You may have to do it three times to synchronize the motors.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #8

THOR #8469
Thank you for your help. I gave your suggestion a try and extended and retracted the slide 3x holding the switch an additional 10 seconds each way. There is still a gap at the top front corner.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #9

THOR #5477
Sorry to hear that as it usually works.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:40 AM   #10

THOR #8469
Thanks for your replies. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
Did u put a sraight edge on it to c if it is possibly Bent
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 AM   #12

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Are you talking hydraulic or electric slides?
Holding the button on the hydraulics won't help, they'll have to be adjusted from underneath & sorry I can't help,with that.
If its the Schwintech electric slide, extend the slide 3-5 inches then retract holding the button 5-10 seconds once it stops moving then repeat this 3-5 times, this will sync the motors. Every time you extend/retract the slide be sure to hold the button 5-10 seconds after slide stops moving.
You might check Lipperts web site on adjusting the hydraulic slide mechanism if that's the problem.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:08 AM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
To me, based on description of problem given in OP, it sounds like a mechanical issue rather than an electrical-synchronization issue; so I doubt that it could be fixed by holding button down.

From electrical standpoint, I can see how a slide could get out of synchronization front to back, but not top to bottom. As I understand these drives the top and bottom gears at each end are powered by one motor from one shaft.

The part I can't follow clearly is what is the slide doing at 3~5 inches before fully retracted? What does "tilt upward" mean before coming to a stop? And if it happens at 3~5 inches how is it getting to within 3/4-inches of wall?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 AM   #14

THOR #8469
Thank you for the replies.

I did put a straight edge against the slide and the side of the travel trailer. The TT is a 2004 Four Winds Express 26B-DSL. It was made by Thor so that is why I joined this forum.

The slide mechanism is rack and pinion type and is made by Lippert. It only has one electric motor attached to an actuator arm and two slide mechanisms. The following is a link to a service manual: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Out-Manual.pdf

I have tried to make adjustments as described on pages 14-15 but no matter the adjustments the top corner towards the front of the trailer is still not fully retracted. The best I am able to get is to about 3/4 inch greater gap at the top. All other corners are seated and are sealing properly.

I will try to extend and retract 5-6 times about 5-6" and hold the switch for 10 seconds each way to see if this helps. However, I am not sure this will help as my system has only one electric motor.

Thanks again for all your replies. Does anyone have any other suggested way to fix this issue?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:41 AM   #15

THOR #8469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The part I can't follow clearly is what is the slide doing at 3~5 inches before fully retracted? What does "tilt upward" mean before coming to a stop? And if it happens at 3~5 inches how is it getting to within 3/4-inches of wall?
What I was attempting to describe is when I am viewing the slide room being retracted from inside the travel trailer. As I am pressing the switch and the room is moving in (retracting), just before the room completely stops the top of the room tilts up toward the inside ceiling during the final 4-5 inches of travel and then the room stops in the retracted position. I am not sure that this is relevant to the top corner remaining about 3/4" out.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #16

THOR #8469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
From electrical standpoint, I can see how a slide could get out of synchronization front to back, but not top to bottom. As I understand these drives the top and bottom gears at each end are powered by one motor from one shaft.
Yes, there is only one electric motor an actuator arm and two slide channels at with rack and pinion gears. Both slide channels are at the bottom of the room. That's why I can't figure this problem out. How can both bottom corners and one top fully retract and the other top corner not fully retract?

Do you have any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJeanes View Post
What I was attempting to describe is when I am viewing the slide room being retracted from inside the travel trailer. As I am pressing the switch and the room is moving in (retracting), just before the room completely stops the top of the room tilts up toward the inside ceiling during the final 4-5 inches of travel and then the room stops in the retracted position. I am not sure that this is relevant to the top corner remaining about 3/4" out.

Any suggestions?

Sorry, I have no suggestions. I had assumed you were referring to the newer Schwintek in-wall systems with two drives; one at each end of slide. That's what seems to have caused the confusion with a few of the replies.

Just guessing on my part based on your detailed description given above, it sounds to me like there is a likely connection between the lifting of slide during final 3~5 inches and the top corner remaining out. If slide box lifts on inside corner right before full retraction, wouldn't that make the top push out away from wall? I'd bet it's not a coincidence but have no idea what could cause it to lift. Have you looked to see if something may be stuck under slide floor, or if floor is warped, etc.? If not something obvious I would take it to a technician experienced with these slides.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
The lifting of the slide when first retracting is normal. It is bringing it up over the edge. The only thing I can think about it, is there might be something in that corner keeping it from seating, or there is a seperation in that corner
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #19

THOR #2121
I may not be following description correctly, but if I am, the lifting is at end of retraction, not the beginning. And it's happening at only one end, not across entire slide. That doesn't sound normal, or by design.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
On my 2008 model the slide drops down when extended. So when you retract it it lifts the entire rear of the slide (inside) up a little bit thus clearing the floor. Remember this slide rest on the floor. A side note do not walk on the slides when it is in the store mode. put a shim under neat the edge
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote