Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5745
Question Slide Rail Issue

I'd like to get some input on a slide issue I have encountered. Recently, while lubricating the slide rails I noticed that the one rail had pulled away from the slide this created a 3/8" gap between the rail and the exterior wall. This gap allowed water to seep in and rot the wood. I was able to snug the rail back against the panel but two of the screws are in rotted wood and not effective at all. I would like to reinforce this area and was thinking of using an epoxy product like JB Weld to accomplish this. I would appreciate any thoughts on this issue. I have attached a picture detailing the area. The 2 screws on the right are in rotted wood

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Bar.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	17081

Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
I read on a FB page that the sail boat folks repair this type of rot by drilling a small hole in the rotted area. They then use a small syringe to inject 90% isopropal alcohol into the area to dry the wood. After the wood is dried they inject resin into the area to seal the voids once it hardens. The key they say is to dry the wood to stop the delamination from spreading. I have not tried this method but it sounds workable.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #3

THOR #5745
Thanks Mustang, I will research this solution. It would seem to me returning some integrity to the wood is a better solution. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Sorry to see the problem,so what is the cause? I’m thinking your slide may be a little off time or alignment And going in cockeye. I would try to re-time the slide to make sure it’s perfectly even first plan of attack
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #5

THOR #5745
That's a good point SandDog. It has finally stopped raining here in Florida. I will work on a solution this week but will check the alignment first. Thanks for your input.