Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.4
State: Delaware
THOR #9121
Slide "catching"

Unit: 2018 A.C.E. 29.4, 8000 miles

Wondering if anyone has this issue: When retracting the living area slide, it comes in about 8 inches, then seems to catch on something, which from the motion, would be on the bottom of the slide. It "bumps" over it, and continues to retract normally. Happens on almost every retract.

I've been over every sq. in. of the slide, and although I've found some abnormalities and a ton of shoddy workmanship, I can't find anything to account for this particular problem. No abnormal wear marks, no roller issues, etc., anywhere. Grant it, I can't get a look at everything.

My concern is that eventually it will cause the slide to fail, and it'll be stuck out. If there is something obstructing it, trying to disconnect the motors and pushing it in would not be an option. That makes me worry.

FMCA F453754
cconnorrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is probably a pretty stupid question...
But it's how I solve problems....
Have you ever just stopped the slide at the "bump", and taken a crawl underneath it to see what is going on at that point?

Are there any plumbing fixtures in your slide? How about electrical stuff?
(Could the slide be catching on something like that?)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #3

THOR #9121
Everything runs thru that slide. Propane lines, hot and cold water lines, the HW heater is in it, the stove, tons of romex... It's spaghetti in there. I almost didn't buy the unit because all that is asking for problems. Best I can tell, none of that stuff is binding.

I have not stopped it right at the "bump" and gone outside for an inspection. Getting a look at the rollers is tough since there's <1" clearance underneath, but I'm trying.
FMCA F453754
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck: please let us know what you can see!
(If you've got plumbing in the way: have someone put their hand on the water faucet handle for the sink. They just might be able to feel something like a vibration or a "tremor"; it the lines are getting caught a bit...
Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
We're having the opposite problem. Closed the slides a week ago drove 500 miles now the dinette slide opens an inch and stops. Goes in and out 1 inch.

We're missing our dogs chew bone .
I'm hoping when we move again in a couple of weeks the bone will reappear and the slide will work.... YEA RIGHT!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
With your slides extended all the way, look under the slide and see if the metal plates that the rollers actually roll on are long enough. They should go from under the slide into the coach to within a couple inches from the outer wall of the slide. My dealer told me the most common issue they have with new RV's is the plates are too short. They replace with the full length plates which eliminates the problem you describe. My concern is this type of thing could eventually cause the rollers to break.

If you find that to be the case, a trip to the dealer would be a good idea.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #7

THOR #9121
problem found

Well thanks people! I combined your comments and found the problem.

I retracted the slide to the bump and stopped. Then, I did my best to visualize the rollers underneath.

The problem is indeed a roller plate not being long enough. The roller drops off the plate as the slide extends, and has to ride back up on the plate when the slide is being retracted. The design is a failure waiting to happen. I can see that if this is not addressed eventually, that roller will fail, and I have absolutely no idea, short of taking the slide off the coach, how one would replace that roller.

Now, I'm pretty sure I can change out the plate with a longer one. Yes, I'm going to do it myself. My dealer's service department is staffed by braindead idiots, and the general manager does not care. I've complained to Thor about them... and Thor doesn't care. Of course, when you look at how they put their product together, saying Thor doesn't care is a gross understatement. Oh well.

Thanks again for your help!
FMCA F453754
Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

THOR #4488
Chris, I'm glad you solved the problem. It's too bad you have to fix it yourself but good you have the ability to do so. It really makes me appreciate my dealer. He said it looks like they just put scrap pieces under the slide because they are often not even the same length.

Anyway, good camping and hope you enjoy your motorhome.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1531000461
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	11279  
Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #10

State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cconnorrn View Post
Well thanks people! I combined your comments and found the problem.

Now, I'm pretty sure I can change out the plate with a longer one. Yes, I'm going to do it myself. My dealer's service department is staffed by braindead idiots, and the general manager does not care. I've complained to Thor about them... and Thor doesn't care. Of course, when you look at how they put their product together, saying Thor doesn't care is a gross understatement. Oh well.

Thanks again for your help!
Great! Glad you have the skillz. This would be my option but not the tools or skillz here.
Please post pix and steps as you go, if you can.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #11

THOR #9121
Well... Spent the last couple of hours looking at, and thinking about, how to install a longer plate. Not sure I actually can. They riveted the old, too short plate to the bottom of the slide. I can always drill out the ones I can get to, but getting to a few of those rivets is impossible.

I've even considered installing a new small plate adjacent to the old one, to sort of extend the run. Same problem though. I have no way to get in there to fasten it too the bottom.

I'm just not seeing any short cut fixes. Seems like a proper fix is going to require slide removal, and I'll do just about anything to avoid that, no matter who is doing the work. Sure isn't going to be me.

Wondering if changing the level slightly would take the load off that particular roller and stop the bump.

Thoughts?
FMCA F453754
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #12

THOR #4488
I know my dealer did not remove the slide but I'm not sure how he took the old plates off. The new ones are screwed on. I think you could just add to what you have and screw them to the underside of the slide with some short screws. You would have a seam but that shouldn't bother the roller.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 AM   #13

THOR #4488
I wouldn't change the angle. You would likely cause more problems.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:24 AM   #14

THOR #9121
I agree. The seem shouldn't matter as long as it's tight, and the new plate is secured well.

I'm just skeptical as to whether I have enough room to do that. I do have a 90º extension for my drill, but it's questionable as to whether that will fit or not. There's only about 1.5" between the slide bottom and the floor. I may have to disassemble part of the kitchen cabinetry in order to get the new plate into position also.

As usual, this stuff always comes up 4 days before a 4000 mile trip!

I'll let you know how I make out, probably about this time tomorrow night! LOL
FMCA F453754
Old 07-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #15

THOR #4488
I think I'm confused. If you extend the slide all the way out. You should be able to get under the slide and easily screw on the new plate... Right?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #16

Model: 29.2 ACE
State: California
THOR #11409
I just went through this on my 29.2 ACE, I had one side it seemed to have the bump as he described and would not pull in all the way or at least within 1 inch.
I took it in under warranty.
The slide has several rollers plus corner glides for positioning the slide.
They did not remove the slide high however did use a forklift to get the new parts in to correct the problem. They said the rear system had failed.
Why they were in there they replaced the motors plus the
ribbons on both sides.
After it was done it worked beautifully no more rattling, creaking.
I guess this is a pretty common problem with this system.
I see your unit is new, recommending you take it in to the shop
Old 07-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #17

State: Ontario
THOR #9188
slide

before you go to all that trouble, try this. Get two thin pieces on plywood, or metal sheet, 4 in wide, and the length of your slide. When the slide is extended, the rollers will be near the cabin wall under the slide. Slide these strips under the roller, all the way to the wall. If it works, screw it down and you are done.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
dfh

State: Florida
THOR #10746
I had the same problem on my 2018 Windsport 34J until it wouldn't extend anymore. Dealer found the slideout was sagging in the middle and scraping on the floor. They shored it up with a couple of clamps and seems to work now.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Georgia
THOR #8645
You want to go to the Thor factory and camp out a few days and get things sorted out. What I did was contact Thor Warranty, had them ship parts to me.......and if necessary, went I went to the dealer, I would just have them install, etc. Most of the issues I had were minor. I have purchased spare parts, water pump, outside door latches, etc to have on hand. I figure anything that could fail during the warranty period would be a good idea to have spare parts.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #20

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Beware.
If your CW dealer is like mine, they will tell you if YOU do anything work related to the unit it will void the warranty.
I need a simple headlight wiring "plug" installed and that's what they told me in August of 2017 when we took delivery of the 2018 ACE unit.
At delivery, I noticed the driver side headlight was not working. They looked at it and discovered the plug was bad so they cut it off and straight wired the wires together. Sure that fixed the problem but.. I asked why is the plug there in the first place? (Yes, I knew) I was told should I ever need to remove the headlight assembly the wire could be unplugged and not "cut". Sharp guys right??

So I said, that's right and I want a new plug installed. Of course they didn't have one in stock and ordered it. Every few weeks I would call about it and NO, not here yet.
When I said I can go down the street to any auto parts store and pick up a plug and put it on in 5 mins.
That's when they said it would void my warranty if I did.
So I played the game and waited.

And guess what, it is finally here. Almost a full year later.
The headlight wiring plug?
NO, the entire wiring harness for the left side of the coach. WOW!!!!
All I need is the plug. I asked them can you just cut the plug off the harness and splice it to mine??? They said, sure, we can do that. OH LAWD!!!!

There you have it. My CW and Thor warranty story.
A number of items have needed to be replaced and worked on but this takes the cake. A year wait for a wiring plug and I get a full wiring harness.
Well, they tell me it's a full harness in a BIG box.
Probably just the plug wrapped in a ton of paper.

It goes in this coming Tuesday for the plug instl. Along with new wiper seals (top and bottom) of the slide and the big bulb seal at the top where the slide meets the inside wall.
God help me if anything else is needed since I've waited most of my year warranty period for this.

News and film at 11 folks. Hang on for update Tuesday evening. LOL