Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Slide stuck

Hi I have a 2018 Thor Miramar 35.3 and the slide on the drivers side will start to come in but stalls at the end towards the rear and the end towards the front still moves. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to resolve it?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It seems that you've got a leaking and sticking slide (one; or both sides...)
Take it back to your dealer, and let us know what they find.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #5584
Had that happen when we were in Tucumcari. Rear slide motor burned out. Best of luck with it.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Sounds more like it's hitting something. Check floors for swelling (waterlogged) around slide area. Go underneath while someone else operates slide and look around for obstruction. If the motors sound OK while extending and mostly OK while retracting, except for the point of "stick"...something has gotten in it's path.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Those slide motors are simple DC motors with brushes and commutators. When stressed the brushed and commutators become intermittent. I had the same problem with my ACE, replaced the intermittent motor and resynched it and it works fine now.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
Exactly the same this happened to me with the same model (Miramar 35.3). I was finally able to get the slide in by moving it in an inch at a time. Once the motor would stop, I'd just tap the extend button just for a second. Then I'd move it in another inch. I kept doing this until the slide came in. It was a bad motor but I ended up having both replaced.

Burch
Old 02-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Agree with possible motor failure, but he said it only happens in one spot...when the slide almost reaches full retraction. Wouldn't a bad motor act up along the path of either in or out vs. just one location?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #8

THOR #5584
Mine died while the slide was in, thank heaven. At least we could still drive it, although using it was cramped.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Ok, now I can join the club of slide issues. Had an Appointment to get the front end aligned that we waited a week for. Went to put the slides in to go, bedroom slide came in fine, full wall started and right motor failed after 5-10 seconds. tried several times, tied the over ride (6 pushes and hold the 7th until flashing) and still no luck. We are now searching for a mobile repair service to come out to get this slide fixed and then how much do I trust the rest of the unit overall - this really impacts are planned cross country jaunt in a month - looks like we may cancel if I can't trust the coach. Saw all the ideas above - thanks, but have no idea where the slide motor are to try and replace them - any pictures for a Palazzo 36.1?

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Ok, now I can join the club of slide issues. Had an Appointment to get the front end aligned that we waited a week for. Went to put the slides in to go, bedroom slide came in fine, full wall started and right motor failed after 5-10 seconds. tried several times, tied the over ride (6 pushes and hold the 7th until flashing) and still no luck. We are now searching for a mobile repair service to come out to get this slide fixed and then how much do I trust the rest of the unit overall - this really impacts are planned cross country jaunt in a month - looks like we may cancel if I can't trust the coach. Saw all the ideas above - thanks, but have no idea where the slide motor are to try and replace them - any pictures for a Palazzo 36.1?
If you have the Lippert Schwintek track slides all the motors are in the same place: In the wall at each end of the slide. You may have to peel back the rubber to see it.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

THOR #11130
Another temp solution is to remove both white wires from the controller underneath the slide (in storage locker). This will allow you to manually push slide back in. Then reconnect the white wires and this locks the motors (s) back in place. You may have to call in the local football team to push it in, but this will work in an emergency.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

I would encourage you not to let one failure ruin your plans or cause you to lose confidence in your coach. It is the nature of the beast that these machines will break from time to time. Look at it as an opportunity to learn how to fix or temp fix this important component, then get it fixed for real and move forward. If it (or something else) happens on the road you’ll meet some nice people who will go out of their way to help you and you’ll have a adventure to tell your grandkids about.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #13

THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I would encourage you not to let one failure ruin your plans or cause you to lose confidence in your coach. It is the nature of the beast that these machines will break from time to time. Look at it as an opportunity to learn how to fix or temp fix this important component, then get it fixed for real and move forward. If it (or something else) happens on the road you’ll meet some nice people who will go out of their way to help you and you’ll have a adventure to tell your grandkids about.
Pete'sMH, we are headed your way for a wedding on June 8th at Orange Beach and then stay for a couple of days at Gulf State Park Campground. If you are in the area, shout out to us!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #14

THOR #13712
Quote:
I posted our status on the stuck slide but have no idea where it landed so I'll add it here - I'm still not sure why I can't execute a new post topic, but anyway!
Local company Alpine RV Service came out yesterday - they are quick to respond and Frank the tech is great to work with - lots of experience and an RVer (rebuilds them too). Tried everything I did and got the came results. did a double toggle on the in and out touch buttons and the slide came in - sluggish but came in. put it back out and went to look around the outside. Checked the seals and they were ok but a little crushed in the middle, like they were not put on straight - suggested new seals - have to order those before I pull anything apart. Also felt the metal roller pads and found them to be gummed up and sticky - looks like the "supposed slide lube" i bought at CW turns to a sticky mess once applied? Can says slideout lube, CW said that's the one, Frank says that's part of the binding problem. Cleaned it all off and sprayed the rollers as best I could with Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner - took the crap right off. Any friction against the slide motors that crates enough of a resistance in the motor cuts the motor off and the slide where detected stops. Cleaned every thing re-lubed all the seals, tossed the can of Slideout Lube in the trash and went to White Lithium Grease as suggested. Slide balked a couple of times but did eventually come in so I can get it lined up today. Hopefully the cleanup and new lube will start to reduce the resistance and make the slide work easily. There are seven rollers and slide pads that work on this slide and if cleaning them all helped this go back to running smoothly, I'm all sorts of happy. I'll know later today when I get back from the alignment and open the slides whether the effort was successful. Will also purchase a motor to have on hand, now that I know where they are hiding!

Old 05-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
This may sound crazy, but I was having a problem with my full slide-out on a 2018 Windsport 29m. Had it just a few days over a year. Also, the leveling Jack's were also behaving badly. When we got to the campground, it said low voltage and would not level. Also, slide would go in a few inches then the back would stop. I ran it back out then had the wife run it in while I pushed it in. We had scheduled service that afternoon heading back home and when I told Steve the service mgr. the problem, he told me something I was never told or forgot....ready, this is so simple!!! You must be plugged into shore power or start your generator to provide the amps to level your coach or extend your slide-out. I was all smiles cause I thought, ohh, nooo, another repair!!! Chalk it up to ignorance on my part, coach is great, Bob
Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #16

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
This may sound crazy, but I was having a problem with my full slide-out on a 2018 Windsport 29m. Had it just a few days over a year. Also, the leveling Jack's were also behaving badly. When we got to the campground, it said low voltage and would not level. Also, slide would go in a few inches then the back would stop. I ran it back out then had the wife run it in while I pushed it in. We had scheduled service that afternoon heading back home and when I told Steve the service mgr. the problem, he told me something I was never told or forgot....ready, this is so simple!!! You must be plugged into shore power or start your generator to provide the amps to level your coach or extend your slide-out. I was all smiles cause I thought, ohh, nooo, another repair!!! Chalk it up to ignorance on my part, coach is great, Bob
I put my slide out on battery power all the time. No need for gen or being hook up to power

Same with jacks but the engine needs to be on

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #17

THOR #11130
Not me...never! Always on shore power or generator running...doesn't matter if we've been driving all day and just stopped. Thor confirmed this when I was at factory in December. As batteries get weak but quite not near failing...this can cause problems.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Last thing I do to set up camp is run out the slide. So already on shore power anyway at that point. Like Gritz said Thor and Schwintek both say to have power and not use batteries alone.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
I had a thought. I occassionally resync my slide motors and my overhead bunk motors. And when putting them out or pulling them in I ALWAYS hold the button a good 10 seconds after to allow them to sync.

The resync is different. If slide is in...in rapid succession press out, in, out, in out, in...and hold for 10 seconds. Reverse that if it's out.

I rarely see anyone mention this, and I've yet to find a salesman that knows this either.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #20

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Not me...never! Always on shore power or generator running...doesn't matter if we've been driving all day and just stopped. Thor confirmed this when I was at factory in December. As batteries get weak but quite not near failing...this can cause problems.
Seems Knuckleheads problem was battery not charged since his jacks said low voltage. So plugging would have fixed this for him

My mh is stored in my driveway. Batteries always charged. Most of the time I'm plugged in when I take out the slide. My normal practice. But I've done it on battery numerous times without a problem. Not recommending doing this every time just saying it can be done with properly charged batteries

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote