Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
Slide topper

Hi All, has anyone out there ever had the arm on your slide out topper break? Mine just did! I was doing some work on the inside of the RV and needed to put the slide out. In doing so about three quarters of the way out there was a loud bang and the slide shook and then finished moving out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B238A567-34C5-4DA5-8AF4-F63B94E9CD62.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	19846  

Old 08-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
More pictures,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4926F408-8F50-4C7F-BAA8-FFE829C28D91.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	19858   Click image for larger version

Name:	7910AFF4-3534-4778-A237-16332FD4F906.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	19859  

Old 08-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Thor Forums - View Single Post - rear awning barely holding

Mine was a little different situation but probably another reason to ditch the slide toppers all together. If these products were well designed and built, it wouldn't be an issue. But between the poor quality of the products and the shoddy way they're installed, sometimes the "options" aren't worth the risk of failure.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
It is unfortunate that you both have had problems with your slide topper(s), but I am glad that you both posted your situations with pictures so the rest of us can see what is going on. That broken topper cap/arm almost looks like the topper tube started binding at that end and broke off the cap. I am not sure if there is a bearing receiver in each end cap that should be sprayed with silicon spray once in a while?
I went out and had a quick look at my 2013 ACE which has relatively small slides (thankfully) at only 12’ and about 7’ wide.......but I noted that one screw head was missing on each slide topper support bracket (both missing screw heads were on the trailing rear topper bracket end). Not sure if that is significant or not......maybe related to how the topper spring tension is distributed.
So basically the rear topper cap arm on each slide was only attached with one screw to each corresponding rear slide wall mounting bracket. I drilled out the broken screw on the smaller bedroom slide and used a stainless steel pan head screw to restore some support. Not sure if stainless screws will be strong enough long term, but it is what I have available. I will do the larger slide as well when weather improves. I also checked the topper end cap screws and all are tight and still in place. So thanks for posting your info and reminding us to check things a little more closely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7' Rear Slide Topper Support SS Screw replaced missing screw head .jpg
Views:	130
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	19869   Click image for larger version

Name:	16' Rear Slide Topper Support one screw head gone.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	19870  

Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
.......but I noted that one screw head was missing on each slide topper support bracket (both missing screw heads were on the trailing rear topper bracket end). ...
Wow. So in one day we have three people with three different Carefree slide topper failures. Like I said, I think they're poor design and a possible disaster waiting to happen.

I would also say yours broke because of too much force for the type/size/amount of fasteners. If I were you I'd add 2 or 3 more screws to that part of the brackets. There's plenty of room to put them in between those screws on each end.

The other thing you guys with the broken screws or parts might want to do is to lighten the tension on the rollers. Just take the rear end cap off and let it unwind a few turns. Be careful obviously since it will want to spin around once you take the screws out. Mine had a fair amount of tension on them, more than I think is necessary. It's the roller tension that's breaking these parts.

BUT WAIT! Is is up to the assembly guys at Thor to determine that tension when they're installing the toppers? Are they winding them up too tight? OMG maybe this IS a Thor assembly problem after all. hahahahaha. I still say it's mostly a design problem.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Wow. So in one day we have three people with three different Carefree slide topper failures. Like I said, I think they're poor design and a possible disaster waiting to happen.

I would also say yours broke because of too much force for the type/size/amount of fasteners. If I were you I'd add 2 or 3 more screws to that part of the brackets. There's plenty of room to put them in between those screws on each end.

The other thing you guys with the broken screws or parts might want to do is to lighten the tension on the rollers. Just take the rear end cap off and let it unwind a few turns. Be careful obviously since it will want to spin around once you take the screws out. Mine had a fair amount of tension on them, more than I think is necessary. It's the roller tension that's breaking these parts.

BUT WAIT! Is is up to the assembly guys at Thor to determine that tension when they're installing the toppers? Are they winding them up too tight? OMG maybe this IS a Thor assembly problem after all. hahahahaha. I still say it's mostly a design problem.

So the sun is back today and I took your advice; at least regarding the addition of screws in the slide support plate which fasten the topper cap arms. I also removed the stainless steel screw I had used to repair the bedroom slide temporarily yesterday....I was lucky to remove it as it was galling from installing and removal already (plus stainless steel is not as strong typically as regular steel screws). I then used regular plated steel screws (with stainless lock washers) for repairing the two old screws which had heads broken off and for all new screws added......2 per front and back topper arm support brackets on both my slides. Not sure if/how quick the steel screws will rust but I may also dab them with black enamel paint.

So I feel better knowing there is some additional strength added and glad the one screw left holding each slide topper bracket at one end did not let go. We have driven through some terrific mountain foothill cross winds without topper incident, so hopefully now there are more screws in place we should have less chance of a dangerous situation with toppers in future. Thanks again guys for posting about this potential problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide Topper Replaced Broken screw and added 2 new screws.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	19878  
Old 09-02-2023, 10:48 PM   #7

State: Utah
THOR #27437
My topper just did this same thing. The screws used rusted out and released the mounting arm. Because it was under tension it swung around the roller until it got in the way of the slide as it was coming in. I heard a pop and found that the arm was healed on with just one screw and the shape of the arm split as did the singe screw hole. The part is only $16 plus the fun of repairing 12 feet off the ground. Should be fun. Bring popcorn. Tickets are free.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:12 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #24216
The Solera topper (another great Lippert product) on our rear slide did basically the same…locked up.

2022 Quantum KW-29
Old 09-03-2023, 01:50 AM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
No slides, no toppers, happy camper.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 12:23 AM   #10