Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #8876
Slide topper and trim issues

Latest issues with our year old 34F. I’m hoping someone has fixed these and has ideas.

First, the center support for the slide topper is wearing on the fabric. The back side of the bracket is wearing on it as it moves. I’m not sure what to adjust to fix this issue. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	16415Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	16416

Second, none of the screws in the bottom trim are grabbing anything and turn freely or simply fall out. The trim is now pulling down, exposing the bottom of the slide to moisture and causing corrosion. It’s also now broken the caulk and the decals. I’m not sure if they used screws that are too short or simply stripped the wood out using self tappers. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	16417Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	16418Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	16419Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	16420

Ideas?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Slide Topper and trim Issues

Interesting note on the middle bracket causing wear on the topper - we have one and will check it tomorrow.
We just returned home from KY and spent the night in TN - heavy rain last night and when we brought the slide out into leave a whole lot of water came in with it. Topper looked OK from the outside and the seals look Ok from the inside, I'm just puzzled as to why they didn't sweep off any water that got around the topper. This is the full wall slide on the palazzo 36.1.

Any ideas from the group? I'm hoping that water is not getting behind the topper rail (Maybe the same issue you are having) and coming down the inside wall - I just spent $1600.00 having all the Dicor striped and replaced. with the ceiling it's tough to get a look at the seals up close.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Interesting note on the middle bracket causing wear on the topper - we have one and will check it tomorrow.

We just returned home from KY and spent the night in TN - heavy rain last night and when we brought the slide out into leave a whole lot of water came in with it. Topper looked OK from the outside and the seals look Ok from the inside, I'm just puzzled as to why they didn't sweep off any water that got around the topper. This is the full wall slide on the palazzo 36.1.

Any ideas from the group? I'm hoping that water is not getting behind the topper rail (Maybe the same issue you are having) and coming down the inside wall - I just spent $1600.00 having all the Dicor striped and replaced. with the ceiling it's tough to get a look at the seals up close.
We have a 2019 Windsport 34J with full wall slide and I left it extended overnight. In morning it started to snow so retracted awning. Driving off, noticed huge puddles of water coming into the coach. Water filled up one of the trunk compartment light fixtures and we even had a puddle in the dog window frame. Contacted Thor and they said these things happen. I questioned them since I thought the topper was supposed to keep moisture off top of slide and should have swept snow off pulling it in; they recommended the dealer check the seals. I am bringing it back this week.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #4

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
This is how i fixed the slide moulding on my rig...
Ace 29.3 - Page 52 - iRV2 Forums
hope this help..
post #715
Old 04-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
For the slide topper I ran a piece of awning tape down the roller run so it eats at that rather than the topper.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Awn...CABEgJrMPD_BwE
Old 04-02-2019, 01:44 AM   #6

THOR #8876
Slide topper and trim issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
This is how i fixed the slide moulding on my rig...
Ace 29.3 - Page 52 - iRV2 Forums
hope this help..
post #715

***edit, web view fixed it. Larger screws it is. Thanks!

Thanks, but I think that’s the wrong thread, or Tapatalk is sending the link to the wrong one.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:45 AM   #7

THOR #8876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
For the slide topper I ran a piece of awning tape down the roller run so it eats at that rather than the topper.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Awn...CABEgJrMPD_BwE

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2019, 02:41 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeGrpArchitek View Post
We have a 2019 Windsport 34J with full wall slide and I left it extended overnight. In morning it started to snow so retracted awning. Driving off, noticed huge puddles of water coming into the coach. Water filled up one of the trunk compartment light fixtures and we even had a puddle in the dog window frame. Contacted Thor and they said these things happen. I questioned them since I thought the topper was supposed to keep moisture off top of slide and should have swept snow off pulling it in; they recommended the dealer check the seals. I am bringing it back this week.
Update...I had an appointment with the dealer today and when I went into my motorhome this morning during rainstorm I saw puddles on the floor. Traced it to top of slider while it was retracted into the coach so I climbed up and took a peak and found the interior trim was damaged. Needless to say, it moved to number one on my punchlist of warranty repairs!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190402_062112.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	16455Click image for larger version

Name:	20190402_062127.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	16456
Old 04-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 31s
State: British Columbia
THOR #13341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeGrpArchitek View Post
Update...I had an appointment with the dealer today and when I went into my motorhome this morning during rainstorm I saw puddles on the floor. Traced it to top of slider while it was retracted into the coach so I climbed up and took a peak and found the interior trim was damaged. Needless to say, it moved to number one on my punchlist of warranty repairs!
Attachment 16455Attachment 16456
My trim piece looks like that also, no leaks though, I will fix it soon...
Old 03-01-2024, 03:33 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TW
State: Massachusetts
THOR #31858
Mine I noticed looks like this also. Literally just purchased and had to bring it in for a few minor fixes, mentioned that the slide sounds a bit wonky (technical term, obviously).. the "reset" the motors and said it's good to go.

When I got home I was inside cleaning and noticed this piece of interior trip is off and also looks crimped so assuming that could have been the wonky sound. Called dealer 3x and no response about it.

Any way for me to fix this myself?
Old 03-01-2024, 04:12 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
The trim piece is a serious issue, it will lead to the floor of the slide to rot.
Lots of posts in the net about that.
Longer screws and lots of caulk to avoid water to get into the floor.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote