Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #4193
Slide Trouble - AGAIN

We left a campground the morning of 3/11/2017 and had no problem retracting the slide.

In the afternoon at our next stop we extended the slide but it stopped partway out. When the slide stopped, the front was extended 7˝“ and the back was extended 8˝”. We could not move it in or out after it stopped. It was raining hard but not windy.

We called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. A tech arrived early morning on 03/12/17. I showed him that the bottom front track did not look right. He found that all the screws had come out and the track had detached from the slide. The holes for the screws holding the track to the slide were stripped, so he could not use the existing screws. He drilled new holes and used bolts to attach the track. After moving the slide in/out multiple times the slide retracted completely and we were able to drive the coach.

We’re in currently in Alabama waiting for a new motor. The CW here says the front motor failed. The front motor was installed new last May.

Bill/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I know that the number of slide problems is probably small compared to the number of them out there. But I would think that given the number out there and the length of time they have been in use now the installers would know better than to use screws in something so critical.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Number of slide problems per 1,000 slides would be one way to analyze issue, and it probably is a small number.

Another way to look at problem is what percent of major issues that sideline RVs is related to slides. I've seen reports that slides are the #1 major issue with RVs, but don't know if that means 10% or 90% of total major problems.

Personally, while I don't dislike slides, I prefer the advantages of no slide. There is a difference. Better to focus on positives of what I want, not negatives of what I don't want.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Note that the 33SW has a full-wall slide, and from pics I've seen of it used at dealers (the floorplan isn't currently on Thor's website) many of them didn't have the "3 Traxx" update.

I wonder if that would help out here.

Speaking of which, it looks like another 33SW owner had an issue in these very forums a couple of years ago:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...blem-1275.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

THOR #2121
The 3 Traxx system looks like the same design to me, just beefed up with a third rack and pinion, and maybe larger motor and/or lower gearing to handle extra force. If there are other design revisions that make it function differently, it would be good to know.

From reports here on this forum, it seems more strength and power wouldn't solve many of the reported slide problems anyway.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #6

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
2017 Miramar 33.4 full wall slide

We have experienced major full wall slide malfunctions since purchase. We bought ours with a 2 track system (but was supposed to be 3Trax). Numerous rapir attempts failed - to the point where I now understand the system more than I want. The 2017 Miramar 33.4 full wall slide is just too large for the Lippert Schwintek slide motors. Thor, in our opinion, under-engineered the model (can't really blame Lippert).

We got tired of failed repair attempts - especially after sending it to Thor in Indiana this past winter. We had to hire an attorney to help resolve our issue. We negotiated with Thor for a while - but could not find common ground. We are now still in litigation.

GO NAVY! And we hope you have better luck with your slide....
Old 07-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
I have posted on the forum a major fault with the system and pictures of the fix for this design. It's not Thors fault(maybe a little for using such a bad design). The lower bearing block on the slide has no bearing in it. A hexagon shaft in a round hole with nothing to keep it from jumping around is a disaster waiting to happen. Mine was fixed then after 4 cycles the lower rail showed signs of failure. Tore it apart and fixed it right. No issues since. In fact the lower rail now doesn't even show signs that the gear even contacts it. That's how it should be. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	5940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	5941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	5942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	5943
Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #8

THOR #5063
Another issue I saw was if you look down the lower rail with the slide out you will see the rail probably not square. Mine was off enough that the gear made contact with maybe 1/4 of the rail. That is definitely a Thor issue.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
Another issue I saw was if you look down the lower rail with the slide out you will see the rail probably not square. Mine was off enough that the gear made contact with maybe 1/4 of the rail. That is definitely a Thor issue.
What year is your ACE and do you know when the updated block was put into production.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #10

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
What year is your ACE and do you know when the updated block was put into production.
Mine a 2015. I ordered new bearing blocks and we made the bushings and put the gear rod in a lathe and turned it down to fit. Any machine shop can do it. We have a mill and lathe so we where able to do it ourselves. I might be able to make more. Let me know.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #11

THOR #4443
Quote:
Mine a 2015. I ordered new bearing blocks and we made the bushings and put the gear rod in a lathe and turned it down to fit. Any machine shop can do it. We have a mill and lathe so we where able to do it ourselves. I might be able to make more. Let me know.
Nice I was wondering how the shaft went from a hexagon to round.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #12

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Quote:
Ace30.2, two questions, how would you align the lower rail? Would you be willing to make make the same gear modification to my 2014 33sw 3 track that you did to yours if I brought the motor home to you.? Please let me know, bduck100@gmail.com, Bryan Duck
Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #13

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bduck100 View Post
Ace30.2, two questions, how would you align the lower rail? Would you be willing to make make the same gear modification to my 2014 33sw 3 track that you did to yours if I brought the motor home to you.? Please let me know, bduck100@gmail.com, Bryan Duck

Sent a message. Thanks
Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #14

THOR #4636
Schwintek full wall slide failure

These schwintek full slide systems are just a real bear to deal with! I wished I had saw posts like these before I bought..... No one should be dealing with issues like this....

Anyways.... I'm hoping that you don't need to take the slide out. That is a major undertaking. We hoped that Thor would do just that last December when we tried to have our 2017 34.3 Miramar full wall slide fixed (it drifted out during travel and we got the same circuit faults you commented on). Thor decided not do this and, instead, cut corners on our fix (in our opinion).

We had the motors and sync boxes replaced and also re-ran wiring without any success at the dealership (Longview RV). Thor took back the RV and merely replaced the 3 trax system. But it still got delivered back to us with the slide drift issue. You see? Not even Thor can figure out the malfunctions sometimes.... It might be possible that the slide is not plumbed right or is warped (who knows....)

The last Thor diagnosis on ours (at the dealership) was that the T- brackets were causing the slide to drift out (teeth/ gear jumping). They wanted to grind them down. We said, "no thank you" and hired an attorney.

If you are out of warranty, I would play with the wiring connections as someone suggested. Moving the slide out is definately a last resort.

Good luck. These SCHWINTEK SLIDE systems are destined to fail. Starting to see more and more slides (at about the 2-3 yrs) failing. Please let us know if you are successful - and how you got it to work....
Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #15

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Will do, mine has worked fine so far but trying to be proactive as I anticipate problems given the history of these slides.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #16

THOR #4636
seeking slide expert

Still looking for anyone with more than average experience with the Schwintek slide systems.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I bad mouth Thor quite a bit considering how they screwed us. But the issues with Schwintek slides actually belongs to LCI (Lippert Components). If you really want to talk shop about these slides I'd recommend you contact LCI.

https://www.lci1.com/
Old 08-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #18

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I bad mouth Thor quite a bit considering how they screwed us. But the issues with Schwintek slides actually belongs to LCI (Lippert Components). If you really want to talk shop about these slides I'd recommend you contact LCI.

I have contacted LCI multiple times about my slide issue. All they do is blame Thor. They say the schwintek design works great but if you tear apart the system and have any idea how gears and torque work you will see that it is designed to fail. I've said multiple times on this and other forums you can't have a hexagon rod go through a round hole with nothing to stop it from jumping around. Sure it will work at the beginning or after you replace everything but it will fail again. I have pictures to prove it will fail again. This is after 4 cycles of using the slide. Notice the bearing block is showing signs of failing. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	6270
Old 08-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post

I disagree on who's primarily responsible. Regardless of whether the Schwintek system is junk or is next to perfect, many manufacturers are choosing to use the system on THEIR motorhomes. No one is forcing them to buy and install Schwintek in-wall mechanisms any more than any other item that may not be up to the task. It's the manufacturers responsibility to evaluate components BEFORE they incorporate them into their designs.

While the function of a slide is a lot more critical than that of a TV, water heater, converter, etc., RV manufacturers should be held accountable for choosing wisely.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #20

THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I disagree on who's primarily responsible. Regardless of whether the Schwintek system is junk or is next to perfect, many manufacturers are choosing to use the system on THEIR motorhomes. No one is forcing them to buy and install Schwintek in-wall mechanisms any more than any other item that may not be up to the task. It's the manufacturers responsibility to evaluate components BEFORE they incorporate them into their designs.

While the function of a slide is a lot more critical than that of a TV, water heater, converter, etc., RV manufacturers should be held accountable for choosing wisely.
Absolutely, well said